You are not logged in.

#1 24-01-11 21:28:53

melanie01@talktalk.net

Dyslexia & independent driving

I have a few pupils with dyslexia some tell me straight out but one hasn't and is struggling reading the directions whether road numbers or places so therefore the independent part of the test is a problem.
Any ideas on this?   

MelT :?

You only fail when you give up!

24-01-11 21:28:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Dyslexia & independent driving

#2 26-01-11 09:28:50

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

.... tell the examiner  tongue

I'm dyslexic and I wouldn't be able to do the independent part of the test without having to ask the examiner at each junction where I was supposed to be going.

Alternatively take a post it note and the examiner will write the directions on it and post it to the dashboard or wherever for the pupil to look at.

Are you sure they have dyslexia?  Dyslexic people are usually very good with maths - a side effect/symptom of dyslexia is being good with numbers.  If your pupil is also strugling with road numbers then they could also have dyscalculia which is trouble understanding numbers.  But people with dyscalculia usually have no problems reading written text.  The 2 don't fit together...... are you sure your pupil just cant read?

Do they have problems with co-ordination?
Are they clumsy?
Do they have short term memory problems?
Do they miss-pronounce some words?

Have you tried asking them how you can help them? 

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 26-01-11 11:45:02

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Have a look out fir JohnP he has written 2 books on teaching DysLexics
Like Phil I to suffer.

if you have a student who has problems reading the signs how about working out what he can understand & work from there.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#4 26-01-11 18:32:36

johnp
Verified Member

Thanks Tony for the plug.
I am at present trying to write summary notes for Examiners, but it is difficult when so few have any real background or understanding. 
It will be a few weeks before I get them published.

Hi Melt.
We are still in the middle of a battle to get appropriate ID for them.
Put dyslexia on the application form. (Provision has to be made)
Phone or email the TC Manager stating which form of ID he wants to use.
On the day knock at the Examiners' door and confirm your request.

The latter is essential as often the message does not get through to the specific examiner(from experience)

We are getting there but there are many being disadvantaged.   

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#5 27-01-11 18:55:10

melanie01@talktalk.net

Thank you so much for your replies & really interested in your book JohnP, can't believe how much i need to learn. Looking forward to the challange though.

Melt x

You only fail when you give up!

#6 27-01-11 21:29:06

G
Verified Member
Website

When the test is booked make sure the dyslexia is declared then the pupil can choose whether to follow road signs or directions. If they follow directions then they will only be given 2 directions at a time. This is what the DSA website says & I have checked it out with my local test centre who say this is correct. I have 2 people with dyslexia going to test next week so will let you know how it goes, if I remember!

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#7 28-01-11 10:31:30

johnp
Verified Member

We have had 2 cases recently (Peter and myself) where the examiner gave 9 stages (4+3+2) even though the condition was declared. Most examiners do not read the web site and don't know the rules as they have not been told.

This is making it very difficult for the candidates and I have been told by TCM to intervene if the test is not going according to the regulations, but you may get an examiner who believes you are negating the validity of the test.

It is a difficult one.

Some of our routes have 9 stages 4+3+2 which is an awful lot to remember.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

Board footer