You are not logged in.

#1 22-02-10 09:22:36

maria27

Mini Roundabouts

I know you have to treat these as you would a normal roundabout, but i always get confused as to wether i need to indicate on to the mini roundabout, and then indicate off. Odviously i would just indicate left if i was going left, and indicate off if i was going straight on, but what if the exit is only slightly past the twelve o'clock mark? Would i indicate on and then off just before my exit as i would a big roundabout? Ive gone over these many times but my brain just forgets  lol
Any tips?

Thanks

22-02-10 09:22:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mini Roundabouts

#2 22-02-10 10:19:25

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Signal if you have time, don't signal if it could mislead or you are already leaving the roundabout.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 22-02-10 13:45:21

DH

but what if the exit is only slightly past the twelve o'clock mark? Would i indicate on and then off just before my exit as i would a big roundabout?

If the exit you want is only slightly past the twelve o'clock and you have a car coming towards you from that direction, think about what the other driver might do if you signalled right.

Would they think you were turning across them and possibly stop? If that is the case then is that what you would want them to do?

If a car is coming towards you from ahead and they are signalling to turn across your path, what would you do?

You need to think about your intentions and what your signal would cause the other driver to do. In the case you mention where you are taking the second exit and it is only slightly past straight ahead I would probably not signal on approach and then signal to leave as I passed the first exit.

The rules about signalling are not hard and fast but depend on the situation. It's better to make intelligent use of signals, thinking about what they might cause other drivers to do rather than just give them because 'that's what we always do'.

Give yourself more time to get your MSM routine in by going more slowly through mini roundabouts and you will find there is time to get it right.

Hope this helps.

#4 22-02-10 15:57:55

driver69

Someone on a forum where this came up before, not sure if it was this one, said to treat signals at mini roundabouts as if the roundabout was not there. So if going left or right, signal left or right and no signal leaving it. If going straight then no signal.

#5 22-02-10 23:02:12

DH

If you want to start an argument between driving instructors probably the easiest way is to start a conversation about signalling. From a learner drivers point of view they need a simple explanation with simple rules about what to do.

I have a roundabout like the one Maria describes near me and so many people approach it with a right signal showing which makes an oncoming driver think they are going to go right. They then leave by the second exit (without signalling left to leave) having stopped the oncoming car with their original signal. That's why I've said that signals need some thought rather than just a blanket rule.

In Maria's case there is no straight ahead because she is taking anything past twelve o'clock as a right turn and that seems to be the cause of the confusion. The Highway Code says that you should approach them in the same way as normal roundabouts and then says that 'there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal' which heavily implies that you SHOULD signal to leave.

I have certainly come across examiners who expect a signal to leave and would take the view that you should treat a mini roundabout (for example a right turn) as a right turn to enter and a left turn to leave and that you should use mirrors and signal accordingly. If there is no one around I wouldn't see the need for a signal and if I was testing someone myself and they didn't signal to leave in those circumstances it wouldn't bother me unduly.

#6 23-02-10 07:15:13

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

'The Highway Code says that you should approach them in the same way as normal roundabouts and then says that 'there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal' which heavily implies that you SHOULD signal to leave'.

Like some other statements in the Highway Code, it's rather VAGUE!

No wonder learners become confused about signalling.

The fact that 'there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal' (especially when turning right) often means that by giving an exit signal the driver may compromise their steering and lose position which could be far worse than giving a signal that's of no real benefit to other road users!

Colin Kentish
Grade 6 DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Dream as if you'll live for ever
Live as if you'll die today

#7 23-02-10 11:32:54

DH

Absolutely right, collywobs.

It's vague for the simple reason that they know they can't give a definitive answer for every situation. If they tried to do that the Highway Code would be a much bigger book.  big_smile big_smile

#8 23-02-10 13:22:36

maria27

Thanks everyone. And DH you make alot of sense. Thankyou.

Its my driving test tommorow and ive been learning for almost a year but this last week its like everything ive been taught has decided to up and leave my little brain  yikes Not good the day before my test eh!  lol

Ive also turned into a mad insane woman who is obsessed with roundabouts. I just really want to pass tommorow.

#9 23-02-10 15:05:36

DH

Good luck Maria.

Listen to your instructor, trust the examiner and don't forget to breathe!

Let us know how you go on.

DH.

#10 23-02-10 18:33:30

bellydancer

Maria, I just want to say good luck   smile
i was the same as you and roundabouts were the least of my favorite routes. I was lousy at mini roundabouts and the bigger ones that has 3-5 lanes and then they split up to dedicated lanes that God help you if you are in the wrong one as you can't switch lanes sad  and then there were the twin roundabouts..... 
but now that i have passed my test, they don't look as scary as they did when I was a learner !! tongue

#11 25-03-10 23:35:06

walsh
Verified Member

Interesting.

#12 26-03-10 08:38:20

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Always tell my pupils - mirrors, steering, position..... then if u can indicate do so...some mini roundabouts seem to have very limited space so steering is more important than trying to get the indicator on.

#13 26-03-10 20:24:35

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

The approach is easy. Listen to what the examiner tells you and then signal it. In other words, regardless of whether you think the (for arguments sake) second exit is past 12 o'clock, if they don't use the word right, don't signal it. I've never sat in on a test yet where the examiner has asked a candidate to take the right hand turn without using the word right.

As far as the exit is concerned, binty is spot on. If you have time to signal then do, but if you don't then steering is more important. The test centre here has a mini roundabout as the very first thing candidates come to (after about 10m) and quite a few have failed there for trying to get the signal in and heading off towards the traffic island instead.

Also, as binty says, NEVER forget the mirror checks. I had a pupil on a Pass Plus course in the centre of Cardiff a few weeks ago and only his left mirror check stopped him flattening a cyclist that just carried onto the mini roundabout as we went for the exit.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

#14 29-03-10 13:59:24

ger
Verified Member
Website

i get the pupil to signal on approach when turning right and cancel the signal on exit if there not time to do a left signal

ger

#15 30-03-10 00:23:59

Adi1234

Signal Approaching mini roundabouts No need to signal off But no harm If you do. A simple rule keep to it and You will be fine

#16 30-11-10 22:48:11

email@passwithjohn.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

Mini roundabouts normally have three exits so on approach if there is an exit to the left or right you approach with an indicator on, if it is straight on then no indication is required as it would be misleading to other drivers.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!

Approved Driving Instructor
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/drivinglessonsstockport.html
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/blog

#17 18-01-11 21:34:58

HewittsDriving
Website

I tell my pupils that if you are taking first exit then signal left , if you are going to the righ then signal right , this is letting people know your intentions on approach, once you are on the mini roundabout signal coming off if safe to do so, most mini roundabouts you can tell where a car is going to go, it's not always necessary to signal off amino round about, but always signal on approach if going first left or round to the right.. Hope this helps

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

#18 19-01-11 21:57:53

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

Approach the mini roundabout as if it wasn't there with regards to signalling.  If you are following the road ahead no signal is necessary (neither left or right).  If you are turning left or right, signal accordingly, with no requirement to change right for left as you exit.  If it is a 'Y' shaped mini roundabout, confirm your direction with a signal, as no signal could be either exit.  Been teaching since 2006 and NEVER had a pupil given a fault for signals or lack of signals at mini roundabout.  ALWAYS be aware of approaching drivers who may use the mini roundabout to perform a 'U' turn.

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

Board footer