You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 26-04-08 16:35:15

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

"aw naw" Check test, and ITS FLEET

HI All
could ONLY find 3 threads relating to Fleet check tests, all were last year, so I didnt want to add to them.

I just had the dreaded letter for Check Testing this morning, I passed part 3 last May and due to having Dip with RoSPA I qualify for DSA & RoSPA Fleet, only thing is, I work mon-fri and only use my ADI partime for now, so NEVER had a Fleet customer, and only really have a few pupils at the moment (15 passed and away).

This is my first check test, and reading the letter I'm not entirely sure what the set up is?
I would be grateful if anyone could help with the questions below, and have any material I could use wink.

1 - “Role play” - If its role play, who decides what the topic of driving is and when are you told? I had initially thought of D/C and Motorway (like in pass plus).

2 – “Occupational road risk briefing”, would this be facts and figures pinched off the net relating to accident stats etc?

2a - How long a brief?

3 – “Coaching on vehicle checks” is this just as simple as POWER?

4 – “Conclude with a driver performance appraisal” – how long do you sit at end of test?
4a – Do you try to arrive back at TC 10mins before the full hour so you can give the performance appraisal?

5 - Would it look better if you were actually filling in paperwork like you would on a real lesson?

Any help relating to this would be gratefully appreciated ( I might even stop being a pain on here for a while :angel: :angel: :angel:)

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

26-04-08 16:35:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: "aw naw" Check test, and ITS FLEET

#2 26-04-08 19:03:07

copone
Verified Member

I did my first fleet check test about 4 weeks ago. I decided to take a client. I prepared a presentation which covered the aims/objectives of Driver training, also covering facts and figures relating to company car drivers, mileage, how many years driving etc. This I gave to my client the day before. Made a note of his full name, age, occupation, mileage covered in a year, what type of vehicle(s) do they drive. On the day arrive 10mins prior to test, make sure you have checked driving licence and eyesight. Go through vehicle checks (POWER). When your examiner comes out, introduce yourself, show him your presenation, be prepared for any questions he/she may ask. Tell him about your client, then introduce him. Tell the client that it is you being examined, and for him/her to relax and drive normally. Have your route planned for about a 10 minute assessment. Stop for about 5 mins, for debrief, fault analysis. Then for the remainder of the test rectify the problems ie.  mirrors, space management, speed. Plenty of Q & A, making your client feel relaxed. Make sure you have your route planned so that you arrive back at the test centre 10 mins before completion. Debrief, any questions, anything you are unsure about, cover everything. I got a 5. I was very happy. No doubt other instructors will give you good advise. Relax, enjoy, and good luck.

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#3 26-04-08 20:18:04

whodareswins
Verified Member

HI Ekal,

You asked similar questions on another thread back in January. You also asked for "write ups" on the check test from the people who got "sixes". These were provided so I suggest you go back to this thread (Straight Sixes - on the Check test board) and re-read. There are answers to all of your questions.

Any other questions - please ask.

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 26-04-08 22:48:56

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

HI Ekal,

You asked similar questions on another thread back in January. You also asked for "write ups" on the check test from the people who got "sixes". These were provided so I suggest you go back to this thread (Straight Sixes - on the Check test board) and re-read. There are answers to all of your questions.

Percy

Must have been my "drinking" night :oops:, I'll have a look

Driver CPC Trainer

#5 27-04-08 17:23:50

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

After surfing back through some threads and visiting a couple other ADI forums, I Hurriedly put this together, it still needs work, but with the help of this forum and a couple others, we may be able to put some sort of "Template" together and place on the forum for future check tests?

Check Test - Check List

1.    Short presentation less than 10 mins, include a programme for the check test content (PowerPoint) raising awareness of occupational road risk, perhaps relating to the type of driving they do.(about 5-10 mins) Highlight why a company car driver is at risk and the measures to decrease this risk, include Killed serious injury figures KSI's in the work place

2.    P.O.W.D.E.R - Vehicle safety checks and legal requirements any questions about the vehicle controls plus mentioned any extras such as ABS
a.    Petrol – ensure sufficient fuel for journey.
b.    Oil – ensure oil is within the requirements
c.    Water – ensure sufficiant coolant
d.    Damage – ensure there is no illegal damage to car
e.    Electrics – ensure all electrics are working
f.    Rubber – ensure the tyres are legal (tread depth, cuts bulges)

3.    Cockpit drill – ensure Client carries one out and that it includes instrument checks ask if any questions about the vehicle controls and mention any extras such as ABS. Look for a “moving brake” test once on the move, BUT ensure its carried out at a safe place.

4.    Carryout 10-15 min drive – assess and make notes on prepared sheet (make one to include cockpit drill including moving brake test) – don’t be picky , use the phrase “risk areas requiring development” rather than Faults. when analysing make sure you mention the degree of potential danger involved and always try to deal with the most important areas such as speed or separation distance initially
KEY factors to look for
1.    Use of speed
2.    Separation distance
3.    MSM PSL
4.    Forward planning
5.    Other road users
6.    Driver attitude
7.    Legal requirements
8.    Passenger safety
9.    Vehicle sympathy
10.    Dealing with aggressive drivers
11.    Environmental effects

5.    Carryout a brief of faults selecting approx 3 key objectives,– then start driving again, this time trying to be proactive and checking Far/Middle/Near to show potential dangers

6.    Carry the drive on now; ensuring the client is doing what you have explained.

7.    Back to t/c for debrief – debrief the client on his strengths and weaknesses, agree a plan to cover the risks identified, PRIORITISE the risks and keep to defining approx 3

Driver CPC Trainer

#6 27-04-08 21:11:00

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ekal

Pm if you need any info or a ORRP. Your main worry is the examiner (Fleet experience) or lack of it! You have the format fine.

Examiners are trained to do 3 big ones (Speed/FD/MSM) plus 1-2 others from your list and an assortment of little ones.

The most common fault of all on fleet C/T is NOT analysing faults on the initial risk profile. And being too slow to give remedial advice in a coaching way once on the move.
Be wary also to ensure that you assertain if it is taken as read that the client has seen ALL your ORRP as this makes it easier to reduce and analyse risk on the session.
Ensure your analsis covers the 'WHY' they are doing it more than why its dangerous

Regards Nigel

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#7 27-04-08 21:26:31

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Cheers Hector, a PM may follow very soon mate(you no doubt recognise some of your work there) wink BUT in the meantime, forgive my ignorance and the amount of Lager I had to drink to drown my sorrows because Celtic beat us 3-2, BUT.... whats does ORRP mean? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Driver CPC Trainer

#8 28-04-08 06:14:35

hector
Verified Member
Website

Occupational road risk presentation, if you want an approved one I can e-mail it and you can persoanlise it.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#9 28-04-08 09:31:52

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Looks really good, thanks for that EKAL.

One suggestion, add IPSGA to MSM/PSL?

#10 28-04-08 12:51:57

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Thanks to all who have contributed to this so far, i have now updated my check list from information I have gained from here and another Forum(some of you may see it twice wink tongue tongue  )

Check Test - Check List

1.      Short presentation less than 10 mins, include a programme for the check test content (PowerPoint) raising awareness of occupational road risk, perhaps relating to the type of driving they do.(about 5-10 mins) Highlight why a company car driver is at risk and the measures to decrease this risk, include Killed serious injury figures KSI's in the work place

2.      P.O.W.D.E.R.Y - Vehicle safety checks and legal requirements any questions about the vehicle controls plus mentioned any extras such as ABS
a.      Petrol – ensure sufficient fuel for journey.
b.      Oil – ensure oil, brake fluid, PAS fluid(if visable) are within the required levels 
c.      Water – ensure sufficient coolant, washer fluid
d.      Damage – ensure there is no damage to car, don’t move if illegal.
e.      Electrics – ensure all electrics are working
f.      Rubber – ensure the tyres are legal (tread depth, cuts bulges) also wiper blades
g.      You – Very important that you are fully rested and without hangover etc, there are more accidents caused by tired drivers than drunk drivers

3.      Cockpit drill – ensure Client carries one out and that it includes instrument checks ask if any questions about the vehicle controls and mention any extras such as ABS. Look for a “moving brake” test once on the move, BUT ensure its carried out at a safe place.

4.      Carryout 10-15 min drive – assess and make notes on prepared sheet (make one to include cockpit drill including moving brake test) – don’t be picky , use the phrase “risk areas requiring development” rather than Faults. when analysing make sure you mention the degree of potential danger involved and always try to deal with the most important areas such as speed or separation distance initially
KEY factors to look for
1.      Use of speed
2.      Separation distance
3.      MSM PSL & IPSGA
4.      Forward planning
5.      Other road users
6.      Driver attitude
7.      Legal requirements
8.      Passenger safety
9.      Vehicle sympathy
10.      Dealing with aggressive drivers
11.      Environmental effects

5.      Carryout a brief of faults selecting approx 3 key objectives,– then start driving again, this time trying to be proactive and checking Far/Middle/Near to show potential dangers, also ensure the client maintains his mirror checks and side vision, using the “clock face” system could help here.

6.      Carry the drive on now; ensuring the client is doing what you have explained. Start asking questions. Encourage him/her to ask you questions. What do you understand about the white line system? What would you look for when the lines are longer?   
What do those signs mean? A Clearway sign is always a good one. Hardly anyone knows what they are. Explain about the sign. The penalties for disobeying. On every clearway there has to be a legal place to stop - in this case lay-bys.  Why are they dangerous? Proactive mirror checks when seeing the lay-by, just in case you need to move out. Why are lay-bys on single carriageways more dangerous? 

7.      Back to t/c for de-brief – de-brief the client on his strengths and weaknesses, agree a plan to cover the risks identified, PRIORITISE the risks and keep to defining approx 3

Driver CPC Trainer

#11 29-04-08 16:49:09

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ekal few problems with what you descibe.

A big reason for CT problems is random Q and A which doesnt help anyone. Only focus on the main risk areas which may not be as number 6 descibes. Or was this just an example curing a particular problem?

Your coaching skills are crucial in a short space of time on initial risk areas prioritised accordingly. DSA examiners are a fickle bunch it would be nice to say they all do it the same unfortunatly not!

Phone your examiner prior to CT for info. I would personally mention ALL areas of risk (Never in the real world! with a real client) as long as they are prioritsed accordingly. Ill give you an example of a recent quote from a fleet check test

'Put you down to a five as you didnt mention I changed gear on a bend once' you missed that one! No he didnt but you get the idea? DSA examiner.

Last two sixes i trained mentioned everything. Just prioritised and worked on the main areas. Keep that assessment to 10 mins -not 15-youll see enough and be very canny with your route-Engineer the faults you want from the route not what the examiner wants, but remember the route must match clients ability - not an easy route as this wouldnt be appropiate.

Alot tend to try to use initial q and a to sort risk, often its happened again before you have the words out, theres a very sly way to sort things quickly.

What system are you training to? MSM ? IPSGA? Does the examiner know?

Il e-mail presentation over next couple of days, very busy night tonight big_smile big_smile  Ronaldo viva Ronaldo Viva Ronaldo Viva Ronaldo- flying down the wing hear United sing Viva Ronaldo     

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#12 29-04-08 17:27:46

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Cheers Hector, almost got my route worked out now, had been thinking of a trip to local Motorway, on then back off, but have now decided on shorter Motorway route which now allows me Town - Motorway - Rural - Rural - Motorway - Town - TC. not sure if its to much to cram in, going to give it a trial over the next week, then fine tune it.

P.S Hope your team do the business tonight, managed by a Scot and winning goal by Fletcher wink cant be bad

Driver CPC Trainer

#13 25-05-08 22:37:20

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Anyone got - DSA Fleet part 3 examiners notes?

Driver CPC Trainer

#14 26-05-08 08:21:38

hector
Verified Member
Website

There are within the ADI 1 in detail on the website

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#15 06-01-11 02:24:10

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

awwwwwwwww naw

thay have called me again :x

any changes from the last couple of years?

Driver CPC Trainer

#16 06-01-11 19:04:47

looprevil
Verified Member

Did mine recently if you'd like some advice feel free to get in touch.

Would recommend liaising with the examiner doing your test beforehand.

regards

Paddy

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 06-01-11 19:39:16

hector
Verified Member
Website

awwwwwwwww naw

thay have called me again :x

any changes from the last couple of years?

Hi Alan
No changes, unless it was perfect last time, do even more this time  big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#18 06-01-11 23:16:51

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

cheers lads!

do most/all demand a short presentation?

I done one last time out, but spoke to an ADI here recently, who was told it wasnt required?

AL

Driver CPC Trainer

#19 07-01-11 07:46:22

daz6215
Verified Member

The presentation is only required if it is the first time you have taken the delegate out, if you have already met them and given them the presentation and already completed the initial assessment drive all you need to do at the TC is tell the SE this, they will ask what you have ID and you then tell them this is what you are working on and away you go!

Or you can do the presentation, then initial assessment and then back out to work on things picked up during the initial drive.

#20 07-01-11 07:58:18

adi
Verified Member
Website

I took a driver who had already had a presentation and already some remedial driving. i printed off the presentation to save time and the SE didnt even look at it, neither did he check the driver profile, or anything else i had provided for that matter.

#21 07-01-11 10:25:19

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I'm going for role play, so I suppose I will take a hard copy of a presentation just in case he wants it.

I have a different examiner this time, so can go with same route as last time, worked out well on the day, just let my nerves get to me on the day, so "sort of" looking forward to this one.

cheers again

AL

Driver CPC Trainer

#22 07-01-11 12:31:03

Carlo
Verified Member

Doe anybody have an approved presentation they are willing to share?  I have my part 3 fleet qualifying exam coming up and I'm a little stumped in what to include in the presentation! sad

"It's easy when you know how!"

#23 07-01-11 13:10:58

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

not sure you need an "approved" presentation, just make one up on road safety, I will be updating mine in the next couple of weeks for test on the 19th, I can send you it then, or if you need it quick, I can send you the one I have from 3 year ago?

Driver CPC Trainer

#24 10-01-11 11:14:11

Carlo
Verified Member

Thanks for the Email Ekal smile.

Does anybody know if the fleet presentation has to be on occupational road risk in general OR can it pin point a subject within, like Eco Safe Driving?

Cheers

"It's easy when you know how!"

#25 11-01-11 11:29:29

whodareswins
Verified Member

Theoretically, your presentation can be about anything but personally, I would limit it to driving situations that contain an element of risk.

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

Board footer