You are not logged in.

#1 12-12-10 17:12:10

Larissa

Help Please with D1 Minibus test! Ideas needed :)

Firstly, can i just say hello to everyone out there and thanks for accepting me onto what looks like a great, informative forum big_smile

I came accross this site whilst googling after unfortunately failing my D1 minibus test. I'm now in need of a bit of advice about what to do about re-taking it....any ideas are greatly appreciated!!  smile

To give you a bit of background, I recently undertook a 3 day intensive minibus course (I work for a charity and we take groups of volunteers out you see!), and took my test on the 4th day. Unfortunately I failed sad I got 6 minors, which I was pretty pleased with, but a stall in a very unfortunate place led to the serious that failed me. Rather than get down about it I thought, i'll just get it next time!

My instructor was pleased with my performance and agreed to book me in for a re-test and I was more than happy for him to do this.....

HOWEVER.........

I recieved an email telling me that to re-take my test it would cost £432!!!!! This sort of money is just not something our charity has for our training budgets. Does this seem expensive to you guys?!?!?!

I'm not really worried about everything and haven't been able to think of much else all weekend. I'm starting to wonder if it's all been a massive waste of time! We do have minibuses at work but most are under 4 tonnnes, so couldn't be used for a test. I think the instructor also has the monopoly in the area.

What do you girls/ guys suggest I do?!

Thanks in advance  big_smile

xx

12-12-10 17:12:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help Please with D1 Minibus test! Ideas needed :)

#2 12-12-10 17:32:59

reddragonbus
Verified Member

The DSA charge £115 for the test, if you can hire a vehicle for less than £317 it would be worth it.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#3 12-12-10 18:31:46

Larissa

Thanks smile I reckon it would be possible to do this, will probably just involve a lot of faffing about!

I'm a little bit worried too about the changes to the braking exercise in the new year....I am going to try and do my test again before then, but i'm aware of the time of year and how busy things get. Do you think it will be similar to an emergency stop in the regular driving test?!

Thanks  big_smile

#4 12-12-10 19:23:26

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I would not worry about the braking exercise.

Remember you need a 4 tonne bus, 5m long with ABS and a tachograph. Additional external mirrors for the examiner.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#5 12-12-10 19:55:38

(ROG)
Verified Member

From 01 Jan 2011 the controlled stop is no more

There WILL NOT be one done on the test at all UNLESS you come across a situation on the road test where you have to do one !!

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 12-12-10 20:58:03

sipin
Verified Member

There WILL NOT be one done on the test at all UNLESS you come across a situation on the road test where you have to do one !!

This is not correct, the breaking exercise will be done on road from the 1st Jan 2011 you will find the info here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022526

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

#7 12-12-10 21:00:09

sipin
Verified Member

And it will only be a waist of time if you give up !

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 13-12-10 09:28:42

(ROG)
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:

This is not correct, the breaking exercise will be done on road from the 1st Jan 2011 you will find the info here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022526

Again - that info is not correct
There WILL NOT be a braking excersise of any sort done on the public highway
The driver may be asked to stop a certain distance behind a parked vehicle and then do an angle start but it will be the usual slowing down to do so

If anyone wants confirmation then they can call the DSA to confirm what I have said

IAM Observer

#9 13-12-10 14:36:40

Daveyboy
Verified Member

ROG is correct!

This very question was asked of Trevor Wedge.

There will be NO emergency stop or brake test exercise.

When on a Cat B test, the DE asks the pupil to pull up behind a parked car, this is deemed to be a “controlled stop”. This is what is to be carried out on the LGV/PSV tests.

The following is Trevor’s reply

“LGV Controlled Stop

There was concerned that the test would take place on-road from January 2011 but that it was impossible to see properly from the rear in some vehicles.  Trevor stressed that the exercise conducted on-road was not the same as was currently conducted off-road.  The manoeuvre initially was intended to address health and safety issues, to check the braking systems were working correctly.  Vehicle technology had greatly improved in recent years, which had removed this issue but there was still a need to ensure that the driver can stop in a controlled way, in exactly the same way as for cars.  The driver will be required to come to a controlled stop, bringing the vehicle to a halt at a specified spot (normally before the angle start) alongside the kerb.”

Hope it helps and clears up any confusion.

Daveyboy

#10 13-12-10 17:17:18

sipin
Verified Member

Seems I've been given duff information  :oops:

#11 13-12-10 20:01:16

(ROG)
Verified Member

Seems I've been given duff information  :oops:

Not your fault as a MINISTER gave out wrong info (the on-road test bit) which was taken as true by the DSA
http://www.roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … g-test.htm

IAM Observer

#12 21-12-10 22:59:43

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

One problem with hiring a minibus for test is that most hire companies will not insure a provisional licence holder.  Should you be fortunate enough to get your hands on a suitable minibus which is suitably insured, you will still need to be accompanied by a driver who has held either a D or D1 full professional licence for at least 3 years.  I use these mirrors http://www.blindspotmirrors.co.uk/index … &Itemid=61 
for the examiner and myself, they just clamp on to the existing mirrors.

I can also confirm that our local dsa examiner has said that the braking exercise will be non existent from 1st Jan.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

Board footer