You are not logged in.

#1 29-02-04 16:38:31

jonks

Anyone ever had a nightmare Check test?

I'd love to hear about some of the nightmares you guys have on check tests...

29-02-04 16:38:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Anyone ever had a nightmare Check test?

#2 01-03-04 19:35:26

Liesa

The first Check test I ever had went completly to pot from the start. I was really nervous not knowing exactly what to expect, my pupil was also a nervous wreck as well.

As we turned out of the test centre, she went up the kerb, not a major disaster in it'self but by the time I'd calmed her down, we were heading in the wrong direction to that which I intended to go. The trouble was my lesson was supposed to be on roundabouts, and the direction in which we were now heading, was completly away from any other roundabouts in the area. At this point I had to do some quick thinking to get things back on track.

Luckily for me however this was just an educational, I did go onto redeem myself some 9 months later.

I think part of the original problem was, the fact that I didn't know what to expect, and like many before, treated it like a part 3.

This is why I thought it'd be a good idea to set this board up, if nothing else to give other a bit of moral support. Hopefully it'll prevent others making the same mistake that I did!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 03-03-04 08:19:19

Bob_FOADS

A bit O/T but what should you expect on a check test if not like the part 3 ?

My first ever check test was cacled in January for some reason by the DSA so I am still awaiting to do one and thought it was like the part 3!
Bob
http://foads.com

#4 03-03-04 09:44:28

Liesa

BOB

Nothing O/T about your question at all, as I say the only silly question is the one that doesn't get asked!

Your not alone a lot of instructors make the mistake of treating the check test like a part 3.

When you do get your invitation through ha ha, you can then start to plan the lesson you intend to give ( which pupil you intend to take, lesson plan etc. )

Most insrtuctors I know offer the pupil a free lesson for the check test, but don't feel you have to do this.

Make sure you drive to the test centre, that way you'll find it easier to start the lesson once your SE(ADI) gets in the car. When you get there take the keys with you, but leave your pupil in the car, I usually tell them to get in the drivers seat and get comfortable.

You then go into the test centre to greet the SE, he'll then ask you questions about your pupil, their progress so far, how many lessons they've had with you, if they're taking private practise and if they've had lessons with anyone else. He'll also want to know what lesson you intend to do today.

After this he'll ask you to lead the way out to the car. When you get there introduce him/her to your pupil, and if they're anything like our SE they'll then try and put your pupil at ease. From then on just proceed to give a lesson in the way that you would normally do, but be prepared for the pupil to regress which is very common. Don't be afraid to go back over old ground with them even if it means having to abandon your original lesson plan. At the end of the lesson do a normal recap, then ask your pupil to go and wait in the waiting room. The SE will then go over things with you, tell you your grade etc. This also give you the chance to pick his brains as well.

I usually drive my pupils home after the check test, but again this is entirerly up to you.

Anyway I hope this helps, and good luck with your check test when you get it!

#5 03-03-04 11:12:09

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Great advice from Leisa - the biggest mistake many instructors make is to treat their first check test like a part 3. Don't do it.

In recent years the numbers of instructors getting sub-standard grades has risen dramatically and more and more ADIs are now seeking advice and training before their check test. With your livlihood at stake this is not a bad idea.

Last month I was approached by an ADI with 20 yrs experience who had just been given a '3' for his check test and came for some training prior to his re-take. I was amazed to find he had never ever taught his pupils about using the nearside mirror for anything other than reversing!!! He also still taught (and drove himself) slowing down through every gear. It is cases like this that give me a certain empathy with the DSA when they try to promote better standards for ADIs (although I disagree with their way of doing it but that is another story).

Times have changed, driving styles have changed, some ADIs have not!  A check test should not be a problem but to anyone with doubts or concerns I would suggest a couple of hours with an ORDIT trainer would do you the world of good.

So, to return to my initial comment, it is not a part 3 so don't treat it as such. Equally, don't take it too lightly either - this is another mistake made by many experienced ADIs.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#6 07-03-04 21:37:14

passrite69

On line from Northern Ireland and yes, I treated my first check test a week ago like a part three.

I consider myself to be a reasonably good Instructor, I planned and even drove the route a couple of times, but on the day all did not go to plan. with a low three under my belt i was pondering if this was really for me.

I have now pulled my socks up and got my act together, and intend to GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME.:(

Pre-Check test training for me is a must, I dont want to be put in this situation again.

I teach in a Mini one D anyone had probs, looks good, bags of style, not ideal to teach in. log on to my web site www.passrite-som.co.uk. yours for 10 grand

#7 08-03-04 01:20:47

Liesa

Passrite69

Glad to hear you've picked yourself up from that kick in the stomach you've just had, I know only too well that it can feel like the end of the world.

Good luck with the next check test, and remember to come back for a chat with those of us who've been there. Don't just talk about getting that extra training do it, you won't regret it!

Good luck and I look forward to speaking to you again soon

#8 17-03-04 00:32:43

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Ive been reading some good advice above, The only one thing i do that may differ is take my pupil into the test centre, Get the intro done then ask the pupil to wait in the car.

If i was going with a instructor to the test centre to do a check test i would feel on edge waiting in the car and may get a little worked up.

So i find it best to take them in, after all they may be taking there driving test a the centre so it would be good for them.

#9 03-04-04 10:59:40

Mr C
Website

I was told that one of my worst mistake was not going to meet the SE prior to the test day...

He asked how I would possibly know what he expected, unless I had been to ask him...   and went on to tell me that this is one of the reasons that they are available on Friday mornings...

Silly me!  I assumed that the information on the green letter would be right - but apparently, it isn't...

I also made the mistake of looking on the Internet for advice...

Everything I read said plan the lesson properly, and teach a good subject that the pupil doesn't know...

Apparently that was wrong too - because my pupil was nervous, she made silly mistakes, but I just put her right, and kept going with the new subject...   should have ditched the new subject and gone ahead with curing the other things...  even though I new that they weren't real mistakes and all due to the nerves...  I guess it might have gone better if it was a pupil I didn't know so well?

I took my pupil into the waiting room, I felt that this was nicer for her than leaving her in the car.  The SE actually commended me for that!  And I got a 6 for attitude to pupil...  he asked why I had done it, and said it is quite unusual.

I shall do that bit next time, and I think I'll go and ask his advice before!

Mr C

#10 14-04-04 18:47:27

AliceM

Thanks for the tip about asking to see the examiner prior to my next check test.  No one has ever mentioned this possibility (or Fridays as being the right day) and it seems like a really good idea.

On my check test, I picked a fairly new pupil and drove her to the practice area (we would have taken 15 minutes to get out of the test centre if she had driven with all her nerves making her stall).  The main comment I remember was that the SE suggested I should have used the drive back as part of the demonstration - driving nice and slowly and talking myself through the starting and stopping.  I try and use this idea now.

#11 23-11-05 09:17:09

messiah

Had my nightmare yesterday! I'd read up on all the relevent topics chosen a pupil, one who responded well to me. Planned the route. All was lookind good a little nervous prehaps. Got in the car briefing went ok. Then suddenly the pupil looked nervous we drove off and then things came apart at the seems!

Cut a long story short i got a 3! was told i had under instructed and had not centered my teaching on the pupil and that was the most inportant thing. My SE said "it does not matter what you or I want to do for the lesson or what the subject is as long as you respond to the pupils needs".

I have to say i am gutted i knew that the lesson i did was not my best and should have had some training but untill you have done one i am not sure any one can really tell you what to expect.

Ill get that training and now ill just have to get that 6 still really annoyed about it all though!

#12 24-11-05 13:13:49

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Several years ago my seadi, said he nearly gave me a 3 cos' my pupil just did not do a thing I asked them and whilst I changed plans and my level of instruction 2 or 3 times I got no response and certainly no benifit of the lesson was apparent.

Sometimes the pupil gets caught in the 'headlights' and acts like frightened rabbits (a bit like the test :? )

But don't worry, a rethink and a bit of training will soon sort you out.

Regards,

#13 24-11-05 23:25:04

Mentor
Verified Member

Or you might consider dispensing with the pupil entirely! Why introduce a factor into the equation which is not required. Go for a role play check test every time!
There are many benefits.
1) No unexpected pupil events
2) No worry about pupil cancelling at last minute
3) Less time wasted ferrying pupil
4) SEADI is occupied with his role and not able to write anything
5) You have no assumptions of the "pupils ability"
6) You can concentrate on fault fixing
7) SEADI will probably enjoy his experience
8) You will undoubtedly get a higher grade! big_smile

#14 24-11-05 23:50:58

BONNY1708

My local SE told me about a check test that he did once for an instructor that hadn't been working for a while but went for his C/T to try and stay on the register. This guy took an old pupil of his that had passed and billed it as checking out his driving. I will summarise what I was told happened:

Re-cap at start........ none.
Fault id...................  some attempted but incorrect.
Fault analysis.......... none
Fault remedial......... none offered
Level of instruction.. No instruction given

And so on through the rest of it. Every item was marked as a one.

The SE said to the instructor "You didn't really understand what was required here did you?"

BONNY1708

#15 25-11-05 05:39:19

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I had my 2nd check test (this year) yesterday, and i thought it was going bad. pupil was just making constant mistakes, and i was having to constantly talk through everything.

Got Grade 4 "believe me - i was shocked!" examiner told me "you've got hands full with this one, and it was great pupil to use for check test!" he said i did all i could do, and constantly talk through everything, as thats type of pupil you have got here, although there was a few times i could have done things better, he was happy that she had shown improvement by end of lesson.

All i can say is i'm glad that's out of the way!!!

#16 17-01-06 11:49:03

skiffle
Verified Member
Website

Ooh yes....

(Newbie to this forum here... hi there all!)

November last year... first one ever, qualified in July 2004, everyone I spoke to said "just treat it like another lesson...." !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I got stomped on, I didn't control my pupil enough. at times he was going a bit too quickly through parked cars - which all relates to his developing skill of planning ahead - which is a known problem and we're working on it, but at the time I was concentrating on mirror checks - v dodgy area of his.

The other aim of the lesson was to do reverse parallel parking - and basically the comment was along the lines of "are you sure he hasn't done that before with anyone?" Why would I lie???  :x Guess pupil was just too good at it.   roll

TBH, what didn't help, was at the debrief afterwards, my mind went a total and complete BLANK when SE was talking to me and asking me about things. I knew I hadn't done as well as I know I do without being watched (if that makes sense)... but the mind went a total and complete and utter blank.

Also, reflecting back on this - I should have given the SE MORE info about the pupil, like, he'd been on holiday for two months visiting his family and he'd been driving about with his mum doing private practice, and picked up one or two (four of five) bad habits we were trying to iron out, and he'd only had one or two lessons since coming back.  All in all, maybe not the best pupil to do the C/T on, but was the only one that was available, who was willing to do it.

NEXT TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer