You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-12-10 12:58:16

shamus
Website

Pupils and the flu.

In the past 2 years of instructing i have caught the flu 8 times, previous to becoming and ADI i was a long distance lorry driver for 20 years and never got ill at all.
Its obvious i'm catching the flu from my pupils as they often come to a lesson coughing and sneezing....so i have 2 questions.

1. If you were to arrive to collect your pupil and they didn't look to well and were coughing and sneezing would you refuse to do the lesson.

2. If you did refuse to do the lesson would you still expect them to pay.

www.morgandrivertraining.co.uk
Part 1- 14/11/08
Part 2-  30/1/09
Part 3-  11/2/10

09-12-10 12:58:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Pupils and the flu.

#2 09-12-10 13:15:57

Aspyre

I would only ever refuse to take them out if I though they were likely to be dangerous on the road or puke (or emit other bodily fluids) in my car.

I get lots of pupils who have colds and I can go for years at a time without catching one. You don't automatically get them if you meet someone who has one smile It comes down to your own general state of health and resistance a lot of the time.

No, I don't charge them if they are genuinely ill - and especially not if it is me that terminates when they actually want to go ahead.

#3 09-12-10 13:21:51

(ROG)
Verified Member

There is also the other side of the coin -

Do you cancel the pupils lessons until you are fully recovered?

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#4 09-12-10 13:29:58

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I have a flu jab every winter. 

#5 09-12-10 14:06:31

Lynne
Verified Member

I keep anti-bacterial spray and kitchen roll in the boot of my car.  If they cough and snot over the car I wipe it over...from door handles, gearknob ohh everything they touch.

They know I do it, when they sneeze or cough and say sorry I make a joke and say I'll be 'dettoxing the car, don't worry' and they are pleased that if they were to get into the car after some other germ infested person the car is as germ free as possible smile

I've just got over the cold/cough thing.  Usually a once yearly lurgy which I've hopefully gone through now smile

To be honest I catch less coughs and colds since I've come out of an air conditioned comfy warm office!

And yes if they are genuinely ill I don't usually charge unless they have been generally unreliable in the past.

#6 09-12-10 16:17:24

Luchell
Verified Member

I wouldn't do lessons until I was past the most contagious phase, nor would I take a pupil out at that point until the tail end of the cold.  Otherwise you can risk a viscious circle, Someone passes it to me, I pass it to however many pupils who then cancel the next lesson full of cold leaving me far more out of pocket than I would have been if i had waited a couple of days lowering the risk of them getting it.

The other issue is whether taking a pupil out when you're full of cold puts both Adi and pupil more at risk where I'm feeling awful and less able to concentrate and possibly my reaction time not being quite what it needs to be. Pupils full of cold will often experience the same lack of reactions and general ability and be incapable of getting the most from the lesson, with more nervous pupils, a bad session that could have been postponed until they were a lot better can also bash their confidence.

Thats my personal opinion anyhow  smile

#7 09-12-10 17:32:08

FRANKS
Verified Member

Surely you mean a cold and not the flu. if they had the flu they wouldn't get in the car!!

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#8 09-12-10 17:51:28

Luchell
Verified Member

I love the way someone told me how to tell the difference between cold or flu, if a 10 pound note was blowing in the wind outsire would you go and get it? Those with flu won't  lol (Well theres always going to be some who brave it  lol)

#9 11-12-10 09:57:59

Lynne
Verified Member

So true Luchell and I can honestly say there's only once in my life I wouldn't have gone out for the £10 note so I guess I've been lucky in although feeling lousy, it wasn't 'flu'.

I would never teach if I didn't feel well enough and the other week I did have to cancel 3 days work.  I wouldn't put anyone at risk on the road. 

#10 12-12-10 07:04:09

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

You should try being an examiner. They will turn up for test having just got out of their 'death bed'. yikes
But at the least the examiner doesn't have to drive the car after them.  big_smile

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#11 25-01-11 21:56:21

HewittsDriving
Website

I always have the window slightly open to keep a constant flow of fresh air in the car, and I also have antibacterial hand wash in the boot and wipes too, Its just an ocupational hazard. Just sweat it out on an evening

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

Board footer