You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 25-10-10 09:44:59

Target
Verified Member
Website

Re: First ID test?

my second pupil passed 1st time. I didn t force myself to sit in as i knew they did not want it so baled out. Id seen enough last week i gain nothing more from seeing other tests. I agree having 1 man removes the additional stress. It seems clear all whats needed is to raise the bar before pupils take their test. 

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

25-10-10 09:44:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 25-10-10 16:29:16

Carlo
Verified Member

Had my first today. Pupil failed sad. Nothing to do with ID though. Just seemed like the examiner was actively looking for problems to mark. Ah well normal service resumes....

"It's easy when you know how!"

#28 04-11-10 21:57:35

Target
Verified Member
Website

Sat in on another ID test today, but wanted to post my experiences.

The ex started the ID at the beginning of the test and pulled out this strange looking picture, that seemed a little unclear because of the yellow background.

I was surprised because it showed a roundabout on the picture and could not for the life of me think where it was. Then later I realised it was 1mile up the road. The ex did make this clear to the pupil. This pupil has local knowledge as they live around the corner, but I could image it really confusing someone else even more.

That said we were on our way, and with a few early prompts ' Do you remember where your going? ' the pupil did ok.

Then the next picture came out. Intesting that the test previous was near the same routes but the ex never brought the pictures out. Ive often thought that doing the ID later in the test would enable the ex to understand whether the pupil can cope with just the instructions, because the picture are not really good considering the distances they want someone to cover before turning again. Its ok on dual carriageways, but sometimes you could be driving for 10 minutes before you reach the first turning.

Off we went for the second phase.

By now the test is nearly over. I dont think we made one right turn on the whole test.

Then they blow it on the reverse left. Up the kerb and not even stopping down the other side.

Asked at the end.....What were you thinking? I dont know I just did'nt see it and just kepted going.

That and some traffic lights and 16DF's later its a fail.... big_smile All in all a good drive but did'nt like the picture ones. Easier to just say drive on till you find a roundabout then turn right then first left whatever.

p.s At the end the ex invited me to join in the debrief and give my feedback. Pupil and I had no questions over the result, so I said thanks and see you next time. wink

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#29 05-11-10 07:47:10

Peter_Cary
Verified Member
Website

Hi Keith,

Those schematic maps have been carefully chosen NOT to cause confusion  smile (although I've not heard on what evidence this has been based as they certainly were not used during the trials) and I have yet to meet anyone who understands why as the maps are not to scale why the junctions are not shown on separate cards with the examiner giving some indication of distance between them, as the short straight lines imply that as you say they are going to be close to each other AND with straight roads connecting them, however the soft beige background colour was chosen to help dyslectics and I do know of some evidence that supports this when reading things in general.

Unfortunately very few of my clients can get their heads around them and live 20 miles or more from the TC so don't have the advantage of local knowledge either, I have been chatting to Sandra Dodson about the use of Smart Phones to show an aerial view of the surroundings and so can "see" the roundabout is a mile up the road (perhaps next to the football ground or similar landmark) after the chat where she seemed initially reticent to allow them (because I think she thought this was exactly the same as a Sat Nav) I believe she could see the advantage for some in the use of modern technology to allow learners to be able to write down the information they need whilst the car was stationary so they could reassure themselves they are on the correct route and thus remove a lot of the stress of taking a driving test which this element undoubtedly does cause for some candidates and for Aspergers and similar conditions to keep asking the examiner is not an option, so maybe progress is being made but I have to wait for the news as to if this has be authorised or not by Trevor yesterday when she met him, so fingers crossed.

#30 05-11-10 08:34:56

Target
Verified Member
Website

Peter....When i first saw these maps, I thought the pupil would be parked up 500-yards from the junction and the ex would say something like.

Follow the road ahead until you reach the first roundbout and turn right second exit, then at the next roundsbout turn left and continue on till you see the supermarket and find a safe place to pull up.

It was ok on the dual carriageway. Because we covered 1-2 miles in a matter of minutes and there was no junctions in between.

Then start again....I never realised there would be so much distance between....Its understandable to some extent but was a little bit of a surprise.

Just got to keep raising the game. I would hope the DSA have a program to change these routes so they are not copied by instructors.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#31 06-11-10 02:25:39

Adi1234

Since I.d was started have had several clients take the test. As always I sit in the back and Have found the de to be very good at explaining the i.d phase. I do however find the diagrams are not helpful in any way. due to the lack of scale I think the better part of the id test is when they ask the candidate to follow road signs. I find that is a much more real scenario of a driver when they have passed there test. They are more likely to need to follow signs than look at a diagram. I have had one marked down on the i.d part of the test because the candidate was going to miss one right turn so the de prompted this and the candidate braked hard and did msm late to make the turn. This was marked down as awareness and planning on the dl 25.  totally agreed with that and me and Candidate both agreed afterwards it would have been much safer to have not took the turn and carried on. It was only a driving fault and not a serious fault.

#32 15-11-10 22:55:46

Target
Verified Member
Website

Starting to get some ID fails now....Having sat in these pupils would have passed under normal circumstance.

Strange....They have been my better drivers, only getting a few driver faults with 1/2 serious.

Most come either close or near too missing a junction or not being able to find a junction.

Was a little disappointed the ex felt it necessarly to lock on the brakes just on a Red light and ped crossing. There was no risk to anyone.

Thankfully the pupil went on to do a good drive, but it can really shake people up. My chest certainly felt it!

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#33 16-11-10 05:47:08

Peter_Cary
Verified Member
Website

Most come either close or near too missing a junction or not being able to find a junction.

I take it they are following a route like

First right

Second exit at roundabout

Second road to the left

Not directions to a destination

I have been using a Smart Phone so my clients can actually "see" the route from an aerial view and they are getting on very well using this method....

BUT.....

I have just received an e-mail from Sandra Dodson telling me that she and Trevor are not going to allow the usse of such "navigational" aids on test, I really feel she has missed the point this gives no advice as to when or where to turn, but allows the candidate to have some idea how far apart the junctions are and if there maybe a landmark nearby so they can ready themselves for the turn.

I hope I can demonstrate the advantages to them on the 29th November as I really don't think they have even looked at a Smart phone and understand that this can put everyone on a level playing field that a local would be on.  smile

#34 16-11-10 16:44:12

Target
Verified Member
Website

However much I tell them it does not matter if they go off route, they do not want to upset the examiner.

Its different with me, because im more of the friends, a working colleague. Maybe I should shout and be nasty!

She was following a map. It was not one of the harder ones, but it was Mill Hill test centre and the road was off a busy high road on the Broadway, just before a zebra crossing. It was the puffin about 50 yards before she missed the pedestrians and the lights changed.

No excuses, ill have to up the training and cater for some more eventualities. Otherwise shes an excellent driver, the rest of the test was near perfect in my opinion.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#35 16-11-10 22:59:46

Peter_Cary
Verified Member
Website

Hi Keith,

Unfortunately many learners do not have the confidence to allow themselves to make the slightest error (or even by asking the examiner to confirm they are going in the correct direction and thus showing a possible error) that The DSA do not recognise as a problem!!  :cry:

Definately do not start to shout at them and get nasty!!

I can't find a zebra crossing close to the Broadway in NW7 on Google Earth can you give a link please.

Click here

Board footer