You are not logged in.

#1 28-09-10 13:50:45

SammyC

why has red got such a bad rep??

hi everyone i have been doing my instructor training with RED since january 2010 (dragging MY feet with the training) and just wanted to know why everyone is so anti-RED?? i have had no problems with them they have always been there to help and are happy to do so. i just wanted to know why everyone goes totaly insain when i say im doing my training with RED?? lol

28-09-10 13:50:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: why has red got such a bad rep??

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 28-09-10 15:17:22

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Sammy.
not everyone is anti RED.

At what stage in the training process are you?

Have you undergone your 40 hours basic training for part 3 yet?
Taken a part 3 test?  If so, how did it go?

#3 28-09-10 15:48:28

SammyC

no i have not done any of this yet, like i said i have been dragging my feet to be honist and only just really thrown myself into my training fully but im not far from my part 1 test. i was just asking as everywere i look i see people ranting about how RED lied to them, ripped them off, and let them down to mention a few but most of these people are wanting the £30,000 they say you COULD earn but dont want to do much to get it (basicaly want to sit on there bum's and the money into fall in to there lap) as with any job you have to work to earn it. sorry i started ranting then!! lol but you get my point it just makes me abit angry as i know alot of people who have signed up with RED and havent got a bad word to say about it and get all the help/advise they need very fast and in no way nasty also were NOT lied to when signed up same as me got told EVERYTHING talked through the whole contract everything explained in alot of detail and were not aloud to sign up there and then was told to go away and think about it and then if its really what you want come back!! so just makes me wonder is it the company RED or is it the people who signed up??

sorry if i sound $$//@ i really dont mean to!! i just want to understand what went wrong for these people who are so upset and angry

sam
xXx

#4 29-09-10 07:18:40

ExAdiNigel

The problem, I think, is that Red process so many trainee instructors that there will always be some who get upset if they don't pass and find they have 'lost' a great deal of money.  My only complaint about them (I trained with The Instructor College) was the length of time between training sessions once I was on part 2 & 3.  I felt they operated on the least number of instructors possible so it was difficult to book sessions.  Other than that I enjoyed the training.

With hindsight I could have done the training for far less money had I gone with an independent trainer, but often you don't get to hear about the independent trainers until you are 'in the field' as they don't tend to advertise to advertise so much and so are less visible.

Enjoy your training Sam

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 29-09-10 07:30:01

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Sam,

You say you've been dragging your feet yet seem to be condemning those who are not doing anything to make their £30k?

It sounds as if you're already signed up, so you might just as well go along with it now. I get the impression that the complaints were not about the training so much as the business practices IE misselling and leading people on to believe that £30k was possible ( or thereabouts ).

Even if you work hard, you will be hard pushed to make that sort of 'profit'. It's worth remembering tha these companies can all legally profess the turnover as earnings.

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#6 29-09-10 09:42:07

Driving-Me-Mad
Verified Member

The 30K promise is only part of the issue I think.

A lot of the complaints are that you are given the impression you can be qualified in 16 weeks which is pretty much unacheivable. You don't appear to be in too much of a hurry to do your training but there are many who are, and with up to 6 weeks wait between training sessions you can see the problem.

You are only doing your part 1 training. Wait til you get to your part 2/3 training and then ask again why everyone is so anti RED. To be fair a lot depends on which college you attend as well. Getting training sessions for part 2 was always a struggle. After my part 2 I was told the nearest part 3 session was a 6 weeks away. I was offered a nearer date at another college and I have to say I am so glad I swapped - a lot more availablity of training sessions (including extra sessions at no extra cost) and also the trainers were way better too. I can honestly say I doubt I would have got through part 3 had I not swapped college.

That was a few years ago (with TIC). I'm not sure how things are there now.

#7 29-09-10 10:05:51

(ROG)
Verified Member

What is the pass/fail rate for part 3 and do these training companies give out this info before any money is paid ??

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#8 01-10-10 16:48:27

BCD

Pass rate for Part III is around 30%.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 01-10-10 19:00:35

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Pass rate for Part III is around 30%.

For 2009/10 the pass rate for part 3 was 34%

#10 01-10-10 19:13:34

(ROG)
Verified Member

About a third pass !!

Do the training companies point out the two thirds failure rate to potential new ADI trainees ?

IAM Observer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 01-10-10 19:33:42

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Do the training companies point out the two thirds failure rate to potential new ADI trainees ?

Why would they?  The training companies are trying to get  people into training, not put them off.

#12 01-10-10 19:49:44

KevB
Verified Member
Website

ROG.
Do you point out the national and local pass rates to enquires from  learner clients for the L test theory and practical tests ?

BTW.  I do smile for learners, B+E and instructor training enquiries.

#13 02-10-10 07:01:34

(ROG)
Verified Member

ROG.
Do you point out the national and local pass rates to enquires from  learner clients for the L test theory and practical tests ?

BTW.  I do smile for learners, B+E and instructor training enquiries.

I did too when I was aa LGV instructor

It is only right and fair to give the client all the relevant info

I think it is really bad to entice people to pay for training when the chances of passing are only 1 in 3 and not inform them of the financial risk they are taking

IAM Observer

#14 02-10-10 08:09:34

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I think it is really bad to entice people to pay for training when the chances of passing are only 1 in 3 and not inform them of the financial risk they are taking

It would only be a 1 in 3 if you are a crap trainer.
I know of independent trainers who have a very high pass rate.

#15 02-10-10 12:58:56

KevB
Verified Member
Website

1 in 3 (or 34%) is the pass rate for the test. It is not the qualifying rate.
Each candidate can usually have up to 3 attempts in any qualifying period.

It could be argued that statistically, each potential driving instructor can expect to qualify within the 2 year qualifying period, and within the allowed 3 attempts.

#16 02-10-10 13:59:08

BCD

Good point, Kevin.

#17 02-10-10 21:18:23

AndyLawton
Verified Member

I trianed through the instructor college and was very happy with the instructors and quality of instruction given.

I was dissapointed however with the delays in getting sessions booked  and the poor selection of buddy drivers in the car, at the latter stages of my part3 training  I would find myself in the car observing somebody on their 1-2 lesson which hindered me in my progress and preperation for my part3 test.

I believe the problem with Red lies in their strategy to get potential clients in the door by falsifying the earning potential and flooding the market with PDI instructors. I have no problem with them as most dont stay around for to long but theirs always somebody else waiting to take their place.

Turnover is vanity   -    Profit is sanity

#18 06-11-10 08:53:42

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

1 in 3 (or 34%) is the pass rate for the test. It is not the qualifying rate.
Each candidate can usually have up to 3 attempts in any qualifying period.

It could be argued that statistically, each potential driving instructor can expect to qualify within the 2 year qualifying period, and within the allowed 3 attempts.

I think you'll find the first time pass rate is about 6% whilst the overall in 3 attempts fluctuates around 30%

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#19 12-11-10 21:26:11

Target
Verified Member
Website

so just makes me wonder is it the company RED or is it the people who signed up??

Is not one in the same. If the company cannot motivate the person wanting to train.

One things for sure. I dont know many people who hand over £3k ( not sure what it costs now ) and dont want to work hard for it.

I trained with the instructor college (TIC)

My main concerns were over the misleading information i was given over the time it would take to qualify. I was also only told id need extra training when I was well into part 3. Again, if id known from the start I could have budgeted for this and planned in advance.

Trust me I worked my socks off qualifying, was out on the roads at all times of the day and night.

Now it seems they want to take anyone and everyone on. We are overload with instructors, yet the adverts claim we need more and you can earn your £30k doing the hours you want when you like.

This paints one a bad picture for people coming into the profession and two the pupils who take lessons. Because yes they think we earn £30k per year.

Around here the streets are littered with RED school cars. They just gather dust and winter leafs at the side of the road.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#20 12-11-10 22:49:49

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Reading an article in adi news-the new red driving school owned by driving results has closed the instructor college and is now simply training under red. It stated how they realise their concentration on instructor training was the reason they were going into liquidation and how they would be concentrating more on driver training now.

Good news for all I think.

Although it does state it will be increasing its training centres for adi training to 40 across the country-so more centres but hopefully not such a farmers market.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#21 13-11-10 07:15:07

butt2
Verified Member

My personal view of Red (The Instructor College) from when I was going through the process is that the training for Part 3 is insufficient in terms of amount, quality and focus to properly prepare you for the part 3 test.

I had to take alot of top up training elsewhere to get me up to the standard required and it seems from what I have read over the years that this is not at all uncommon.

The insufficiencies in the training provided only really become obvious when you are able to compare them with the different approaches that other trainers take.

#22 13-11-10 08:42:19

Aspyre

Does that make Red worthy of having eggs, rotten fruit, and worse thrown at it every time some clown of a driving instructor (usually, the same ones) feels like he needs to relieve himself of some the pressures of his life, and start slinging it around? (referring to the overall topic, not individual posters in this thread)

The ADIs who work "for" Red are no better and no worse than any ADI. They could go indie or jump to another franchise tomorrow. The same is true of the trainers.

Answering the OP, a lot of the flak Red gets is more a quality of the people firing it off than it is a quality of Red.

#23 13-11-10 16:13:32

hector
Verified Member
Website

hi everyone i have been doing my instructor training with RED since january 2010 (dragging MY feet with the training) and just wanted to know why everyone is so anti-RED?? i have had no problems with them they have always been there to help and are happy to do so. i just wanted to know why everyone goes totaly insain when i say im doing my training with RED?? lol

Unfortunately you'll probably find out when you take your first test.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#24 13-11-10 18:51:12

Evan
Administrator

My only comment on this thread is this: 1 - 1 training with a good quality knows his/her stuff instructor trainer.

Why 1 - 1 ? Well its simple if you have weaknesses you need to have them looked at and get them tuned without having to share the trainers time with another PDI.

Of course you can learn 2 - 1 in a car but 1 -1 is better in my opinion.

#25 13-11-10 19:17:38

finch

I dont know about nationally but I hear Red are closing there training centre in Derby and intend only keeping two trainers on who I assume will become Field Trainers working from their vehicles, something on the lines captainhook commented on.

Board footer