You are not logged in.

#1 07-11-10 19:14:07

stevetheinstructor
Website

Credit / Debit card portable machines

I'm looking into getting a Mobile Credit / Debit card terminal so that I can take card paments in car.

Has anyone got an experience of these and what is the cost?

Any help or advice and reccomendations would be welcome.

Thanks

Steve

Steve White
Tele 07801 063174

07-11-10 19:14:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Credit / Debit card portable machines

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-11-10 22:36:19

Disky
Verified Member
Website

try getting hold of one of your local taxi drivers, most of them have them now, saves them carrying cash about.

#3 08-11-10 07:45:47

may
Verified Member

Lcard are very good. i have one and pay £19 a month.

Only problem is signal.

#4 08-11-10 08:58:14

stevetheinstructor
Website

Thanks May, i'm looking at that in June/july's driving instructor magazine. Will give em a call today. If signal is low does it store and save the transaction?

Steve White
Tele 07801 063174

#5 08-11-10 21:37:17

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Interesting topic, I would love a chip and pin machine to get money off the little tinkers but resent paying money to get paid, problem with being in a car is the access to the internet I guess to allow access online for payment, if you had a phone with good 3g access is there an option for that?

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#6 08-11-10 22:04:49

stevetheinstructor
Website

I saw an artice in Driving Instructor for Lcard a portable GPRS handset that useds a Sim card, looks very good and at £4.75 per week + 5% is very good value.

I saw a local Indie pull up with a pupil today outside the loal Coop Cash Machine, the pupil got out and withdrew the lesson fee, and got back in the car.....Would save all that hassle I suppose.

Steve White
Tele 07801 063174

#7 08-11-10 22:09:59

colin166
Verified Member

I took a pupil to the cashpoint to draw out £220 for lessons this morning, I would not have wanted to have 5% knocked off that.
If anybody is interested though there is this company that can set you up to be able to take cards just using your mobile phone or PDA. http://www.adelante.co.uk/mobilepos.html

#8 08-11-10 23:05:49

stevetheinstructor
Website

hmm, you have a point there !

Steve White
Tele 07801 063174

#9 09-11-10 06:31:37

may
Verified Member

If there is no signal the transaction is void so I have to go somewhere to get signal. I am waiting for an Orange sim to be sent so if vodaphone don't work you can request another network.

My transactions are paid into the bank every Friday.

#10 09-11-10 14:57:22

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

An inexpensive way to make in car payments possible using a mobile with internet access. If you have a website and can edit it make a page and don't put links to it anywhere so search engines can't find it. If you have access to the robots file exclude it there.

Then get a PayPal merchant account and make buy now buttons for every eventuality you expect, e.g. 1 1 hour lesson, 1.5 hour lesson, 2 hour lesson, 10 hour prepay. Paypal make the buttons and give you the HTML to paste into your page. You can then use the buttons on the website in the car and put pupil details in whilst they are there. If you have the problem of a lack of signal you can give them the URL of the hidden page to pay on their own computer.

This will be less expensive than hiring a machine as you only pay 3% on the transaction.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#11 09-11-10 23:20:48

on board training

Hi,

The idea of taking payments by card machine or software application is a good one.

It shouldn't cost you to do it if you add a surcharge in to the transaction like 5 or 10% to cover all costs and you may even make a little out of it.

I understand that taxi drivers in our area add on a straight 10% to offset costs.

The students who don't want to pay any extra will have the correct payment for you and th eones who are disorganised don't mind paying a little bit extra.

Brian

#12 10-11-10 07:17:28

may
Verified Member

I put my prices up to cover the charge.

#13 10-11-10 10:25:02

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

We did the paypal button thing, admittedly a few years ago when the iPhone hadn't changed the world, and added the card charge to the price so we didn't have to pass it onto our schools Instructors. It got so little use that we gave up taking cards for pupils. We do use Paypal extensively on the software products as its ideal for web businesses.

Anyway, rambling again. Paypal, I forgot to mention last post that they do a thing called virtual terminal (I think that's what they call it). You have to upgrade your account and pay a monthly charge. It gives you a credit/debit card terminal on the internet.

I must admit we still have very little, if any, demand for card payment in the driving school side of the business. I can't remember the last time somebody asked on the phone if we took cards and haven't had Instructors in the school crying out for it. Our website has nothing saying about card payments and the direct bookings still come in.

Looking at your picture of a BSM car Steve, are you planning to take cards as a BSM Instructor? If so I would leave it to BSM to sort out the hassle. Or, are you thinking of becoming Independent? If so you will find people have different expectations from a non national brand and probably won't ask for card facilities. I have been doing research for marketing our products and have looked at an awful lot of driving school sites recently. These are schools with a number of Instructors and I can't recall seeing any card facilities offered only the occasional Google checkout or paypal buttons on a website. This still mystifies me, do pupils really pay out large amounts of money through a website then wait for a call to say "thank you an instructor will be round next wednesday"? That's completely the wrong way around.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

Board footer