You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-11-10 10:50:30

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Help with Independant Driving

HI All

Over the weekend I met up with an ex-student of mine who is a psychologist in my local hospital. We talked about the new Independent driving section of the test because I am having trouble teaching this to some of my students.

As you know the Independent Driving section of the test can be presented in one of two ways. Firstly by following the signs & markings to a given place. Secondly the examiner will give you up to three sets of instructions to follow & will also show you a simple diagram to help you.

To help you with the request to follow road signs & markings to a given place. He suggested that my students if they know the area could identify a local landmark that they know & head for that place so long as it is in the same direction as they have been asked to follow. This way the student does not have to spend so much time Looking for the road signs & markings then Assessing what to do, before Deciding what to do & Acting. They could be then more aware of what is going on around & about them.

Now the problem created by following three instructions. This is causing me the most trouble. I am finding a number of my students cannot remember or get mixed up with the directions. Now from his point of view the problem is to do with our short term memory abilities. Some people have not developed that part of the brain so need to use simple exercises to practise using this function of the brain to follow the directions. He suggested that I get my students to get me or a friend to give them one to three instructions that they write down on a piece of paper & then they would repeat the instructions back without looking at the paper they wrote down on, they could write or draw the instructions on another piece of paper. This would stimulate the part of the brain to develop that we need to use to follow the directions on the test.

For some people he said this might take a couple of hours over a couple of weeks to perfect this ability because different people learn at different rates. He also commented on those who have to take drugs to control their attention problems he said they might need to take their drug about two hours before doing this exercise so they are functioning at their best level.

Another thing he mentioned was to do with this dread left & right problems so many of my students seem to develop when learning to drive. They can normally know there left & right but when it comes to driving all that knowledge seems to go out the car door. Now he gave me an answer to why that can happen. It is to do how with how the brain works, the part of the brain that knows where left & right is at the back of the brain on the right hand hemisphere (side) of the brain. The part of the brain that deals with the visualisation & motor skills needed to turn the car are at the front of the brain on the left. When many people are learning to drive they are under stress this nervous state causes the brain it slow down & not communicate with itself so well. That means we forget where our left & right is so we have to develop rescue methods to help which tend to be visual so we use the same part of the brain as that which we need to turn the wheel in the direction we want to go.

I hope I haven’t been too technical but this is a brief note of over three hours talking,

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

08-11-10 10:50:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help with Independant Driving

#2 09-11-10 06:49:13

may
Verified Member

For me, I start early on the signs, At the roundabout take the 2nd exit, signposted Northallerton. Then it just builds from there as the aim has to be to follow signs and read them.

For the instruction bit I start with 2, take the next road on the right then next left. Then build up to 3 then 4. I don't put too much emphasis on this part as I get them to know the area and also that they can ask so I make sure they remember the first instruction but as said all your doing is developing the brain.

The level of multi-tasking the pupil will have never had before and they seem to believe that just remembering how to drive is hard enough. I point out that the physical act of driving isn't stored in our memory its stored in our muscles as an action so its the memory of road signs/markings etc. If a pupil says I have an awful memory, I test them by giving them 4 instructions together. A majority get to the last turn and have to check which way.

I always give sets of instructions at the side of the road so they are fuly focused. the digns i give on the move.

I think above has overcomplicated it. I like to keep things simple smile

#3 22-11-10 19:11:44

Jimmy David
Website

I completely agree with may. Build it up gradually, for instance even with a new learner if we are doing a loop of left turns, you obviously start at full instruction and phase it down, for me that includes the directions. So eventually they not only see they have completed a full loop turning left independently, they also had no directions. Then I just carry that routine on.

www.onewaydrivingschool.org Driving lessons Fareham, Driving Lessons Gosport, Driving Lessons Portsmouth, Driving Lessons Southampton

Board footer