You are not logged in.

#1 28-10-10 00:56:48

1987tetley

Which way to go??

Hi, i registered on this site 4 yrs ago when i was considering instructor training and my husband had just qualified. Unfortunately i wasnt in a position to do it at the time. Now i am being offered a redundancy package which would allow me to pay for my training and cover my rent etc for best part of a year so now i am seriously thinking about it..... i may not get an opportunity again.
I really could do with some advice, is it a bad time to be doing this with recession still hanging over us or should i go for it???
If i do i will be putting 110% into this, totally committed, i don't want to look back in 2 yrs time thinking what if???
Another thing, my husband trained with BSM and said his training was 2nd to none but i remember the other main (not sure if allowed to mention names?) had an awful reputation but they seem to have disappeared, have they been renamed?
Do any of you have any training recommendations??
I am on the Lincs Cambs border.
Many thanks in advance. x

28-10-10 00:56:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Which way to go??

#2 28-10-10 01:20:10

Adi1234

I think It will be a hard time in the adi industry But I would Not let that put You off If You are passionate about teaching people to drive. You can make a good living Out of it. I would suggest that you can Start studying for part one the theory straight away without paying alot of money for training. You can get the training material online fairly cheap. I would then suggest trying to find a local adi trainer who has a good reputation for part 2 and three all the tests are very stringent But If you prepare well there is no reason you wont pass the tests first time. And the career is very rewarding.

#3 28-10-10 07:49:14

michelleadi

There will always be a need for driver training just like their is for undertakers.  I qualified on March 1st year and I have a full diary, 30+ pupils, I know their are plenty of ADI's out there that are not busy - maybe Mr Luck has played a part in filling up my diary.

I would definately go down the route of PAYG for training, if you dont like the trainer then you can bin them without been stuck to them because you have handed over loads of money.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 28-10-10 10:47:04

samds
Verified Member
Website

In terms of it being the best time to train, I'd say there's never a good time. 

You have the benefit of experience with your husband. 

How was business when he started?
Was he the main earner?
How is business for him now? 
Is he the main earner?

If he is not or has never been the main earner, do something else.

You will no doubt join thousands of redundant people joining the industry to train. The problem with the industry is that there is no control over suitability.  If you are passionate about doing this why not book a couple of hours with an independent ADI trainer, talk it over and get him to assess if you have the right stuff.

I'm 8 years into this and like many collegues, training to get out.  Be sure of why you want to do it.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#5 28-10-10 11:12:48

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi

We are likely to meet if you work up my way  smile

Have you done any market research who will you be competing against? Do you have a business plan?

There are many people who have tried & failed it  is best to go in with your eyes open. Give me a ring or email & we could meet

I can supply you with a contact in business link who could help you .
Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#6 16-11-10 19:04:35

1987tetley

Thanks for the advice, when i get my application back i may very well take u up on the offer Tony, cheers  smile

#7 18-11-10 22:58:51

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

Will your husband not help you with the training?

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#8 25-01-11 22:05:36

HewittsDriving
Website

If you are considering becoming a driving instructor, its a great job, I have loved every day in this business. But the only thing that has been hard for me is paying a franchise. If you are going to train to become an instructor, make sure you do your research about the school you might go with or even if there is enough work in your area to allow you to even earn a living. I was stuck in a franchise for 1 year and I had to pay over £1000 per month to them, even if I had no work, they hardly ever gave me pupils and expected me to find my own. Don't think this is an easy career or that this is how they describe it in all those adverts we all see. Its hard work and there are no certainties. Its great that you have thought about having additional money to help cover your rent. I wish you all the luck in the world if you choose to train, but before you do, go to your local test centre and chat to the instructors down there and to the examiners.. they will know more about the driving situation in your area.

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

#9 25-01-11 22:16:55

on board training

Hi,

Not always good to chat to the ADIs depending on who they are, bit like on here ahem :evil:

With some ADIs it is doom and gloom and like everywhere, the doom and gloom merchants attract more doom and gloom merchants.

While I can't disagree that some have reason to be doom and gloom merchants, I still passionately believe there are plenty of ADIs and schools that are very busy.

Also if someone is just starting out end of last year, in fairness it will be awhile before qualified.

Brian

Board footer