You are not logged in.

#1 24-07-10 19:50:31

jamboy25

Help! Help Help

Hey guys I really could do with some friendly advice I am currently training for my part 3 & now on my 3rd attempt. However the training school I paid alot of money too for a guarentee pass which means that they keep providing training until I pass even if I have to start the process again they have just went into administration  :x and I am now with no trainer & only have until november to pass my part 3. To make matters worse I was made redundant at the start of the year so I had to get a job with less pay which means no spare cash lying about.  :cry:

24-07-10 19:50:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help! Help Help

#2 25-07-10 01:04:10

Aspyre

Don't panic immediately! It is possible the company you were with may be bought up by someone else and they may carry on with your training.

If that doesn't happen there isn't much you can do to get your money back (and any "advice" about not paying up front isn't going to do you much good now). It might be worthwhile talking to a solicitor/CAB - but even if the administrators paid you anything back it would likely take time.

You have to stay focused and deal with things logically. If you only have until November the main thing is to complete your training somehow. Unfortunately, it will cost money, but it's really the only logical way forward. But at least it will only be the cost of each lesson you have if you use a local trainer. Can you not contact the person who was training you? He or she is also in the same boat and it is quite likely they will welcome paid work.

I can think of a few ways of moving forward which might not be ideal (and will no doubt attract a lot of tut-tutting among other trainers) but they could get you the extra training that you need. Do you know any ADIs who might let you sit in or take you out on a few one to one sessions?

If you've had two attempts you quite possibly aren't that far away from being ready anyway. If you are, then again there's little you can do without spending money with November looming.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 25-07-10 06:20:43

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Don't panic immediately! It is possible the company you were with may be bought up by someone else and they may carry on with your training.

If that doesn't happen there isn't much you can do to get your money back (and any "advice" about not paying up front isn't going to do you much good now). It might be worthwhile talking to a solicitor/CAB - but even if the administrators paid you anything back it would likely take time.

You have to stay focused and deal with things logically. If you only have until November the main thing is to complete your training somehow. Unfortunately, it will cost money, but it's really the only logical way forward. But at least it will only be the cost of each lesson you have if you use a local trainer. Can you not contact the person who was training you? He or she is also in the same boat and it is quite likely they will welcome paid work.

* red,2,300

If you've had two attempts you quite possibly aren't that far away from being ready anyway. If you are, then again there's little you can do without spending money with November looming.

You are right Aspyre not the best of suggestions  roll

If the current situation is not likely to be resolved fairly swiftly then I suggest that you seek out a good local trainer (ask other local ADI's for a recommendation) 
The trainer should make an assessment and give you a rough estimation of training hours required (normally between 4 - 8 hours depending on the PDI's ability).
Good luck whatever you decide to do

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#4 25-07-10 08:01:04

Aspyre

Whoa. Hold on with the self-righteousness, ADI.Ed.  roll

I said it wouldn't be popular or ideal, not that it was wrong. He has real world circumstances to deal with.

#5 25-07-10 08:58:05

jamboy25

Thanks for your advice guys

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 25-07-10 11:52:37

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Whoa. Hold on with the self-righteousness, ADI.Ed.  roll

I said it wouldn't be popular or ideal, not that it was wrong. He has real world circumstances to deal with.

Self-righteous  - no
Offering sensible, constructive advice - yes. big_smile
Jamboy needs to ensure that he is properly prepared for his third attempt suggesting that he  sit in any ADI could prove to be counter productive as the ADI my well demonstrate sub-standard instruction.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#7 25-07-10 13:01:09

KevB
Verified Member
Website

The trainer should make an assessment and give you a rough estimation of training hours required (normally between 4 - 8 hours depending on the PDI's ability).

Jamboy needs to ensure that he is properly prepared for his third attempt suggesting that he  sit in any ADI could prove to be counter productive as the ADI my well demonstrate sub-standard instruction.

Jamboy may also need 50 hours. To suggest any number of hours  ("normally between 4-8 hours") based simply on knowing he has had 2 attempts is purely speculation.

I do agree an assesment needs to be done.

Jamboy has to decide what's more important. getting to the right standard and the expense that will incur, or holding out in the hope his existing training establishment can continue to train him up to the correct standard, even though they are being controlled by an administrator.

My view is if either attempt included a 2, or neither included a 5 or above, to seek guidance outside of his existing training establishment.

#8 25-07-10 14:00:19

Aspyre

Jamboy may also be virtually at the required standard (just because he paid up front doesn't mean he's received sub-standard training)

His chances of picking up a sub-standard "local trainer", or one who reckons he needs 30 hours when he doesn't (trainers are little different to many ADIs after all), or one who reckons he's doing it "all wrong" (because he paid up front to a big school) are also significant given his time contraints.

Given his personal situation (to the extent that we know it) he has a number of options open to him, and seeing as money appears to be extremely tight they do not preclude trying to finish off on a shoestring.

"Sensible advice" sometimes takes root in reality and not never-never land wink

#9 25-07-10 14:48:15

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

ADI Education wrote:

* red,2,300

I do agree an assesment needs to be done.

Jamboy has to decide what's more important. getting to the right standard and the expense that will incur, or holding out in the hope his existing training establishment can continue to train him up to the correct standard, even though they are being controlled by an administrator.

My view is if either attempt included a 2, or neither included a 5 or above, to seek guidance outside of his existing training establishment.

The suggested hours (note the word 'normally') are an average, based on  my experience of part 3 rescue with many many PDI's (with succesful results before anyone asks).
If anyone needed 50 hours rescue work you would really have to question the trainers ability/motives.  yikes

#10 25-07-10 14:53:45

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Jamboy may also be virtually at the required standard (just because he paid up front doesn't mean he's received sub-standard training)
I never suggested he had received sub-standard training yikes

His chances of picking up a sub-standard "local trainer", or one who reckons he needs 30 hours when he doesn't (trainers are little different to many ADIs after all), or one who reckons he's doing it "all wrong" (because he paid up front to a big school) are also significant given his time contraints.
I agree :-D

Given his personal situation (to the extent that we know it) he has a number of options open to him, and seeing as money appears to be extremely tight they do not preclude trying to finish off on a shoestring.
Could be a dangerous move
"Sensible advice" sometimes takes root in reality and not never-never land wink
I agree but not in this instance big_smile

#11 25-07-10 17:50:04

jamboy25

Hey guys I really did not want to start a debate but all of your advice has been very usefull. I don't think I will need much more training as my trainer who is a great man & also has landed in deep water due to the company going bust has advised me that I have a good chance of passing this test.

The weakness I have is the analysis & remedial as this cropt up in 1st & 2nd attempt. I feel my briefing's & attitude to pupil is very good but as I said its the two areas mentioned that I need to correct. When I done my in car training I was OK at this but on the day it just seems to fade off to the horizon which I think is down to nerves & tunnel vision.

I am confident that if i have another 5-8 hours in car then I feel that I will be there. God I really want pass this soooo bad but because of my situation I now feel like my confidence & motivation has taken a good old bump!!

#12 25-07-10 18:41:55

Madhatter
Verified Member

Where are you Jamboy?

Tim Moran - ADI Cornwall - www.timmoranschoolofmotoring.co.uk

#13 25-07-10 18:45:44

colin166
Verified Member

Hi Jamboy,
I too failed the first 2 attempts down to nerves and that feeling were you know what you should be saying to the SE but can't say it for some reason.

As well as extra training if possible as already suggested but what nobody has mentioned so far unless I missed it is to try and find another pdi in your area and practice together.

This is what I did and my buddy and I clocked up about 30 hours together and we both passed on our 3rd attempt after that.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and just try and keep a positive attitude to it.

Colin.

#14 25-07-10 19:41:53

jamboy25

Hi Madhatter I am based in edinburgh

Alex

#15 25-07-10 19:43:33

jamboy25

Colin 166 yea I have been trying hard to find another PDI but to no avail. I thought that to would be a great way to get some practice
Alex

#16 25-07-10 20:56:08

colin166
Verified Member

Jamboy, I have sent you a PM.

#17 26-07-10 06:44:50

Luchell
Verified Member

Lets get this thread back on track, each member was offering opinions and ways to help regardless if they agreed with each others suggestions. I'm 'cleaning' this thread up so it can continue.

#18 26-07-10 08:52:42

on board training

Hi,

I have offered help to jamboy and he was going to call last night but still waiting.

This help was genuine with no strings or costs attached.

It is not a good thing to buddy up with another trainee as you end up with two people who don't know if they are doing it correct and often more bad habits develop. But this is what this industry attracts and some accept as the norm.

I have just been approached by someone who qualified at start of year, he did approach me a few months ago but decided to go on his own to try to get established, but has only managed to get half a dozen students in that time and wants to be with a more established school to build his book up. He got an educational at first check test and next test in Spetember - what is his priority bearing in mind he has another part time job? To get more learners to teach and he was rather surprised when I said, if he started it would be a good few weeks before he would be paying a franchise or getting new learners as we need to make sure he is up to the required standard. I gave him a comparison of one of our newly qualified instructors who trained with us, had first check test 2 weeks ago and came away with a good 5.

Back to topic of buddying up - would you expect a learner driver to be allowed to supervise and practice with another learner driver - or two novice professionals who had both failed qualifying exams to keep each other right? Until more professionals in this industry give it the credit it deserves it will be along time before the public do!!!

#19 26-07-10 09:32:49

jamboy25

Hi brian,

I will call tonight I did not want to bother you on a sunday evening so I will have my test results handy and explain where I went wrong. Thanks again for taking your valuable time to speak to me. Speak soon

Alex

#20 26-07-10 19:28:09

colin166
Verified Member

I topped up my training with a buddy that like me had failed mainly down to nerves and we both gained the confidence needed to face and pass the 3rd attempt.

We only practiced what we had been taught in recent training and what we had learned from proffesional videos.

We did not practice what either of us had any doubt on.

We both recently had our first check test within 6 months of qualifying and both got a good 5 and mine was close to a 6.

#21 07-08-10 20:55:30

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

I have offered help to jamboy and he was going to call last night but still waiting.

This help was genuine with no strings or costs attached.

It is not a good thing to buddy up with another trainee as you end up with two people who don't know if they are doing it correct and often more bad habits develop. But this is what this industry attracts and some accept as the norm.

I have just been approached by someone who qualified at start of year, he did approach me a few months ago but decided to go on his own to try to get established, but has only managed to get half a dozen students in that time and wants to be with a more established school to build his book up. He got an educational at first check test and next test in Spetember - what is his priority bearing in mind he has another part time job? To get more learners to teach and he was rather surprised when I said, if he started it would be a good few weeks before he would be paying a franchise or getting new learners as we need to make sure he is up to the required standard. I gave him a comparison of one of our newly qualified instructors who trained with us, had first check test 2 weeks ago and came away with a good 5.

Back to topic of buddying up - would you expect a learner driver to be allowed to supervise and practice with another learner driver - or two novice professionals who had both failed qualifying exams to keep each other right? Until more professionals in this industry give it the credit it deserves it will be along time before the public do!!!

Although buddying up can be the blind leading the blind, that is rarely the case, from my experience as a trainer it can be very beneficial.

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#22 08-08-10 06:21:14

casper

Hi, jamboy, wasn't key was it?
Have been left in similar situation, full garanteed pass package out the window' second pt3 sept 2nd.
Luckily i found local ind trainer who then found me a buddy and put me in touch with one of her recent high fliers working as an adi who is happy to cover a liitle practice before and use of car for test on the day, because she is on holiday, all of which is now costing extra.
I really hope you do manage to get sorted, and all goes well on the day.

pt1 pass 1st time 98% 60 23/9/09
pt2 passed 2nd time 6faults 9/3/10
pt3 passed 3rd time 4/4 jan 2011

#23 24-10-10 18:55:02

mdf0075

Hello Jamboy,

How ya getting on?

part 1 - 98/54
part 1 - 98/62
part 2 - 4 minors
part 3 - pst2 5-5