You are not logged in.

#1 03-10-10 22:17:49

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Independant Drive check test write up.

Hi everyone,

I would like to tell you all about how my check test went, i have found all write up's useful and hope you'll find mine useful.

I arrived at the TC, a little nervous, but ok. SE came out and called my name, introduced him to my pupil and he sent her to the car.
He asked me if i knew about the check test, and i said yes, but he reassured me that if my lesson isnt going to plan  change it to fit the pupils needs at the time. He then asked me what my lesson plan was, this was when i became really nervous.
I replied, ''as my pupil just needs consolidating on all aspects of driving, as she never seem's to make the same mistake twice, i would like to prepare her for the Independant Drive of the Driving test and for of course when she passes her test''. He replied ok so basically general driving with perparation for the Independant Drive. Yes   smile Ok he said.
I hadnt called the test centre as adviced to do, as i thought you know what if its wrong its wrong, i'll just do it again, but i'll give it my best shot.  smile
The Se introduces himself to my pupil and made her laugh with a joke of him not being an alien or something, which made me smile.
OK, so i recap on last lesson which was a left reverse, and explain that i'm going to prepare her for the ID, and that we will drive to the site that we are going to start, and that on the way i'll watch her general driving, and give her the briefing for todays lesson when we get there. It was just so that she kept forgetting her right mirror on the way, so i did lots of q&a as to why its important etc. We arrived at our location and i talked about her faults that had happened on the way. I then explained about preparing her for her test and what she will be required to do during the ID .I said that the examiner is looking for you to use msm, lada, etc safely.
I showed her a diagram that i printed from a dsa email, and expained that its ok to go the wrong way etc. etc I then showed her my diagram, which was a print out from google maps, lol big_smile I put an x on the map where we were, and while i asked her to go left at the end of the road, take the 5th right and then pull over somewhere SL&C, i drew the route on my map. I asked her to repeat my instructions, which she did. Off we go, and while we are on our way i ask her about a bus thats meeting us, what she going to do etc, asking about the hazards, who's prioties etc, so it wasnt silent. She followed the route lovely, asking me questions, like was that my 3rd exit, which i had asssured she could do in my briefing. She really was a star pupil, asking the right q's at the right time.
She pulled over, which was a little close to a jucnction, so discussed that, and then chatted about how well she found her way, and used her msm in good time.
Then gave her another route, which i had to hand draw, lol big_smile as the map wouldn't fit on one page. This route bought her onto a dual carriage way, she was gaining on a vehicle quickly, so i asked what are you going to do? Overtake! yes, she did that perfectly.
Then she approaches a roundabout, has the opportunity to go but doesnt, therfore ends up over the give way line, ok i said, dont worry, but what the consequences etc, that route finishes, and we pull over to discuss. I then realise i didnt clock what time we left the test centre, :? so i asked the examiner what time we need to be back.
The next route, i get her to follow the signs for the city centre, she did very well. Get back to TC, give her the debrief, ask if she has any q's. End of Test

Se asks my pupil to stay in the car, and walks me over to the test centre. He said my lesson plan was great, although asking her to take the 5th right was a bit long, and that on the test they would only be expected to go say, Left at EOR, next right then left. But it was ok because my pupil handled it. He then asked, what did you think about her approach to Roundabout's today? i replied at the big one she overshot it, he said yes, but after that your route included lots of roundabouts, so i could have q&a on approach to prevent it happening again, which i didnt. SE said had i have he would have given me a 5, but gave me a 4 for planning.  He also said, ''you said dont worry'' i replied im not going to lie, i always say that when they make mistakes, to try and help them relax. He also said that i was on top of her when hazarda arose, like on the dual carrriageway, asking what she could do, instead of letting a fault accure, asking her how she was going to deal with the buses etc.

He said that im a very bubbly instructor and that he very much injoyed my lesson, and wishes me well with my future, and gave me a 4.

I hadn't done this lesson with my pupil before, or did my planned routes with any other pupil, so this lesson was completely fresh for me and my pupil, so as real as it could be. I was extremely happy with the lesson plan, and my pupil throughly enjoyed herself.

Anyone that's planning to do this lesson, go for it smile. I hope my write up helps. Good Luck to everyone that has their check test soon.  wink wink

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

03-10-10 22:17:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Independant Drive check test write up.

#2 04-10-10 13:59:30

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Hi cat,

With regards to any faults that occur during the ID, would you be expected to deal with them on the go (if possible) or wait until the end of the ID part when you have pulled over ready for the next part, where you could point out where the faults happened and then go over the core comps. The reason I ask is if the pupil is busy trying to remember where she/he had to go, she/he may not come up with the answers to you q and a'ing and get flustered by trying to navigate to her/his destination or answer your questions.

Obviously, if something serious happens you would jump in.

Hope this post makes sense.

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#3 04-10-10 14:24:21

daz6215
Verified Member

Well done Cat for trying something different and taking a risk!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 04-10-10 15:51:54

Carlo
Verified Member

Congrats Cat on CT result! smile

Do you mind me asking what subject the ex ticked on the CT report?  Pretty sure ID is not listed?

"It's easy when you know how!"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 04-10-10 21:41:10

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi
m6 - i dealt with most faults on the go, as they were all minor. I think had she had made a major fault i think i would have pulled her over, and corrected/talked about as we would usually do, then asked if she'd remembered where she was going from here, if not then i would have reminded her at that point.
As an example to answer your Q. I tried to anticpate her faults as we went along, example, we were on the road that she was taking the 5th turning on the right, and bus was coming up the hill and there were parked cars, so id asked, who has priority? she said, bus, ok what are you going to do, slow down and stop if i need to, super well done.. Then after that i asked that right turn which number is it, is it my 3rd, yes. And which one are you taking my 5th, excellent. You see so i was just trying to recap her all the time, encourging her to ask which way she was going if she forgot, etc. I really hope that helps. Im rubbish at writing what i'm trying to say lol big_smile
Also on appraoch to the roundabouts, etc, i was asking, ok where are you going now? Right,3rd exit! super so which lane are you approaching in? So if she said left i would have been on top of the fault straight away.

Well done Cat for trying something different and taking a risk!

Thank you  wink

Do you mind me asking what subject the ex ticked on the CT report?  Pretty sure ID is not listed?

Your right it isn't lol smile
In column A, he marked: 1. Controls, 9. Planning, 12. Roundabouts, 15. Adequate Clearance.
In column B, he marked all of them except Instructors use of controls.
Hope that helps.  smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#6 05-10-10 11:24:00

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

#7 05-10-10 12:13:48

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Thanks for the info cat and well done.

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

Board footer