You are not logged in.

#1 09-11-09 08:07:08

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Best way to study for the DIA Diploma?

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to study for the DIA Diploma, wondered if anyone had any advice/ideas on the best way to study?

All I've been told so far is 'buy the workbooks, go through them, go in for it' ...... that kinda sounds too easy....

I'm not looking forward to the mechanical principles part  :x 

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

09-11-09 08:07:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Best way to study for the DIA Diploma?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-11-09 17:42:53

confused
Verified Member
Website

It's about to change apparently, so hold off Phil.

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

#3 12-11-09 15:51:38

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Just phoned DIA.

People doing the diploma exams in 2010 will be exempt from module 5 if they have city and guilds 7300 teaching certificate.

Been told from June 2010 it's changing so that the C&G 7300 certificate will be included as part of the course.

Bit disappointed I didn't get any advice from those allready holding the diploma in what's the best way to study sad

.phil.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#4 12-05-10 04:31:37

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

DIA website is about as useful as a choclate fireguard concernig this, another thread started by gleeson says they are not good at communicating.
I am interested to know the cost involved, is it home learning, when/where do the exams take place?

Thanks for any response.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#5 12-05-10 06:03:36

may
Verified Member

From what i've gathered its home learning and the new prices include tutoring. I think you are going to be able to go to centres as well.

The exams take place every May and at a local centre, currently there is an £80 charge for this.

#6 12-05-10 09:52:04

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

I've just done the exams.  My 'local' center was almost 2 hours away.

It was very unorganised and unprofessional to be honest, not what I expected at all from the DIA.... The room booked was nowhere near big enough so the invigilator  had to find another one, then he was offered 2 separate rooms which weren't next to each other, and finally 2 rooms next to each other.  We all had to lend a hand moving desks and chairs, and the room I was in was !!!!!!!! freezing!

To be fair to the invigilator, he wasn't supposed  to be invigilating, but had stepped in at the last minute as the guy who was supposed to be doing it was in France!  On the second day another invigilator turned up instead and he didn't even bother to introduce himself.  I think it was the afternoon of the 2nd day when we were told if there was a fire to follow him out the room to the end of the hall where the fire exit was..... then I pointed out there was a fire exit in our room that was about 1 meter from where he was standing.  Oh, and there was a landline phone in the room that rang half way through an exam too.

And we had each paid £80 fee to the center where we took the exams.

.phil.

#7 12-05-10 18:57:43

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for that folks. May look at something else it sounds a mess, but if I don't ...............

Whats the cost of the workbooks, and are the revised on a yearly basis?

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#8 12-05-10 19:07:16

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Other venues may have been more organised that the one I attended, dont let that put you off.

The workbooks and a study guide are available from the DIA online, the 6 books cost  £30.  There is also a recommended reading list/study guide, past papers and model questions and answers. 

On the exam papers I did there were also questions on 1st aid, health and safety at work act and drawing a sealed engine cooling system! Plus 1 question was to design a company letterhead, and the next was to use the letterhead to write to a pupil confirming a block booking of 10 lessons..... wonder how many instructors have actually done that in real life?!?

It was important for me to do the diploma as I want to get better at my job and also I want to go on to do a degree, but to be honest I'm not sure how much  I did learn that has made me into a better ADI

.phil.

#9 15-05-10 06:12:54

ExAdiNigel

Some local associations arrange tutorials for the people preparing for the DIA Diploma exams.    Birmingham, I think, were one of them.

I seem to remember the DIA were going to put together a network of tutors, don't know if that is actually happening, depends how much extra they think they can extract from their membership I suppose!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#10 15-05-10 09:23:39

FRANKS
Verified Member

So whats the advantage of doing this diploma, Is it going to earning me more money?

I don't mind doing CPC or CPD as long as it's value for money.

DIA are a business and all they are interested in is making money out of you.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#11 15-05-10 10:46:26

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Well i started studying it because I want to be better at my job...

somebody who isn't moving forward is going to be left behind (c)

.phil.

#12 15-05-10 21:48:21

Disky
Verified Member
Website

i wonder if they'll accept the PTLLS as it's a replacement for the 7300, just not C&G but NVQ

#13 16-05-10 09:49:14

FRANKS
Verified Member

Phil,

Because I'm not doing the diploma dosen't mean I'm standing still. As I said what's the point of doing CPC or CPD if it's not going to benefit my business in one way (being able to charge more or get more work from it)

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#14 26-09-10 12:08:17

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Yes PTTLS will be accepted

Dave Foster Dip.DI
DIA examiner and question writer

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#15 26-09-10 12:34:51

ExAdiNigel

What about Qualified Teacher status(QTS)?

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#16 29-09-10 09:53:44

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Assuming you got your QTs through a recognized source such as C&G PGCE/(PCE) PTTLS, DTTLS, QTTLS etc yes

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

Board footer