You are not logged in.

#1 27-07-10 16:50:37

Matt Baxter
Website

Building a network of assessors

Hello everyone

Please excuse me if I break any rules or regs as I am a noob here.

I made a decision to try and move into the commercial market ( after sitting on my qualifications for 3 yrs!!) a short while back, with relative success so far as I am talking to three companies atm each of which have around 200 drivers in a mix of cars and vans.  I need to build some partnerships with people up and down the country because if I land any of these contracts i'll be struggling to service them!

Is there a list available of driver trainers already available ?

These POTENTIAL contracts are just that, potential.. but I thought that it would be prudent to plan ahead for every eventuality ...as we all do with our driving of course! hehehe

If someone could point me in the correct direction to find an existing 'list' that would be great, or please message me with your interest to

mattbaxter@2drive4.co.uk 

Please include such information as qualifications including fleet/safed/midas, areas you can cover, daily rate, experience and anything else you think that is relevant which I have forgotten.

OR.. what might be a superb idea is .....if trainers post all their info on this thread so the information is available to everyone in the same position as me.

Thanks ppl

Matt Baxter

Adi, Grade 6 Fleet, SAFED, MiDAS & IAM.

27-07-10 16:50:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Building a network of assessors

#2 30-07-10 14:41:53

martylad

hi matt i am based in co durham i hold my fleet badge and i am a grade 5 i would be interseted in any fleet work in the north you can e mail me at walker_m9@sky.com thanks

#3 30-07-10 19:06:55

Matt Baxter
Website

Thanks martylad, and to others that have e-mailed me, I really appreciate your help. Hopefully we'll get some of the big contracts.... then i'll be in touch.
Regards

Matt Baxter

#4 10-08-10 17:49:53

copone
Verified Member

I am a fleet trainer for both the IAM and Rospa and also an examiner. I reside in  Co. Durham. E mail David.d.vickers@btinternet.com

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#5 12-08-10 18:41:45

ExAdiNigel

I am fleet registered and hold the RoSPA Diploma.  I am based in Plymouth.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 15-08-10 17:46:41

Rob19

I am an experienced fleet trainer based in York. I can easily cover all of Yorkshire and the East side of Manchester.
Also I can cover Hampshire, Berkshire and Surrey as well. E mail: robsefton1@hotmail.com

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet Registered Trainer, RoSPA Diploma, IAM, Cardington Special Test Grade A, Driving Instructor Trainer, Full PCV licence holder, Member of DIA and MSA

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 15-08-10 18:43:30

confused
Verified Member
Website

I'm a grade 5 fleet trainer, I've also done my NVQ L3. Email: mail@drivingzone.co.uk
I'm in Milton Keynes.

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

#8 15-08-10 21:22:57

Target
Verified Member
Website

Just looking in here as I think its an excellent example of how instructors can work together for everyones benefits.

Out of interest.

What would be peoples going rate for a day tuition both home or away? By the I mean if you feel the travelling is further than your able to return in one day?

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#9 17-08-10 17:07:29

Matt Baxter
Website

Thanks to everyone for posting their interest.

As far as daily rates go.... good question... as far as I am concerned, I think that it is fair that whoever wins the contract makes a small percentage on every trainer/instructor that they employ, but how much I would like to pay wouldn't always be the amount that I could pay!... it depends on how much the customer screws me down on price I suppose.
If I required people to work away from home I would expect the customer to cover the costs ( or I would build a cost into the quote to cover that expense) of the hotel.

A day rate for working.... hmmm.. tough one.. everyone that has quoted me a day rate that they require has mentioned a different figure.. I can only speak for myself.. I would work for less if i felt confident that firstly... I WOULD GET PAID! and secondly.... there was a large chance of repeat business.  But i generally expect to pay £150 to £175 per day depending on location of the job and lots of other variables..... Please feel free to discuss this figure further...

#10 17-08-10 21:17:34

Target
Verified Member
Website

Matt. Thanks for your reply.

I was actually asking the other members, but you have confirmed what I thought.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#11 19-08-10 10:40:49

nigel
Verified Member

hi mate i would be intrested im fleet grade 5 do rospa and iam in the south based in surrey
a.robathan@ntlworld.com

DSA ADI
Fleet trainer, Iam ,Rospa (gold) Tutor. DIAmond Advanced/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 19-08-10 20:40:54

Matt Baxter
Website

Matt. Thanks for your reply.

I was actually asking the other members, but you have confirmed what I thought.

Is this the 'going rate' ?
What are your thoughts on this matter?

#13 20-08-10 20:24:07

Target
Verified Member
Website

I'm not fleet registered, but if i was id probably be noting my interest.

On a similiar working day you can earn the same money, but in effect you have done all the donkey work and all the instructor has to do is turn up and do an honest days work. He may even save on fuel using the company cars.

Your figures equate to between £35k-£40k on a 46 week year, which seems to be the figures I would be looking towards based on the added experience.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#14 30-08-10 11:23:18

jammydodger

Hi Matt.
Yes I would be interested. I work the whole of Buckinghamshire. Fleet Registered, Midas, grade 6 SAFED. As regards daily rate, I normally get paid from between £175 and £200 per day but I think you are right it has to depend on what the Companies are willing to pay you first. Good luck with it  smile
Martin.

#15 30-08-10 22:44:17

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

This is quite an interesting thread, as many people have in the past tried to build a data base of trainers and struggled to get the work in the end.  Many of the bigger companies have incentives as they work hand in hand with other providers.  If the contract is over a certain amount the tender has to be put out across the EU.

I found that to build a fleet base you need to start very locally, then take on trainers.  Finding suitable trainers is the easy bit, finding good contracts is where the work is.  I know that a lot of firms are happy to talk to you, hear your terms and show an interest, but it takes a huge amount of perseverance for it to come to fruition.

Best of luck with your project.

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#16 05-09-10 22:59:27

Matt Baxter
Website

A BIG thanks to everyone who has noted their interest on this thread.

I think that you are right Lilly-Anne, getting the work IS the hard bit, but I thought that it would be a good idea to plan ahead for every eventuality. It is tough finding the time to go and get the contracts whilst still earning enough to pay the bills, but i suppose if it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

A question to all..... Just out of interest...What time scale would you need to make yourself available for one full weeks work?

#17 06-09-10 07:12:30

daz6215
Verified Member

normally 1 month or so for me!

#18 07-09-10 04:50:37

ExAdiNigel

Only University holidays for me.  Approx 1 month notice would also be about right as I will do other stuff in the holidays too.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#19 09-09-10 07:56:58

Target
Verified Member
Website

I found that to build a fleet base you need to start very locally, then take on trainers.  Finding suitable trainers is the easy bit, finding good contracts is where the work is.

Going off thread slightly as you say that its easy to find trainers.

Personally i think this is where the profession lets itself down a little. When I was with the AA I found it hard to be able to contact other AA instructors in the area. It was as if the company did'nt want us to talk.

Find your nearest does nothing for finding the right person for the job.

Whats needed is a central database of instructors. I was recently contacted by an instructor in the Norfolk area who wanted to pass me a pupil. Searches on the internet revealled my location but it would be so much easier to just access a list.

Back to the thread. Id say a month to be safe big_smile

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#20 09-09-10 16:57:25

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

Because we train ADI's for fleet, they are automatically put onto a register of suitable trainers for us to use.  However, your national association should be able to supply trainer details, too many instructors pay their monthly fee but don't make use of the facility they are paying for.  I would definitely want to see the cv of a trainer before putting them out to work for a contact though.

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#21 09-09-10 19:29:10

Target
Verified Member
Website

Because we train ADI's for fleet, they are automatically put onto a register of suitable trainers for us to use

Thats interesting LA....Theres a fleet register but I do not beleive theres a driving instructors register - not one thats available anyway.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Board footer