You are not logged in.

#1 09-08-10 18:22:20

benaaben

Positioning and signals

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ben and I am looking for the wisdom of others for the following two questions.

If me or a pupil is in line for a set of traffic lights of which we want to turn right but the lane does not split until the end, Would we be allowed on a driving test or check test or any other time to overtake and come back into our lane a) if there is no one approaching and   b) if there was on coming traffic but a really wide road?

OK now for the second...

Roundabouts in my area are like all other areas these days are widley different. We have some where the first exit is at two o clock I teach to approach in the left hand lane and signal just before leaving as it seems silly and confusing to signal left when going around the roundabout is this correct?
The other roundabout in question where the exit is at 11 o clock or even ten again although it is the first exit the signal will cancel but is it acceptable to leave it until you have steered right then signal so it does not cancel?

Your help would be great!!

Many thanks Ben

09-08-10 18:22:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Positioning and signals

#2 09-08-10 19:07:42

driver69

I'm sure you will get more enlightened responses than mine but here goes for my take on it:

If you can safely get into the right hand lane by overtaking and sure that no one in front of you intends doing the same and you can see clearly enough that nothing was going to turn in while your overtaking then I would say it is OK. If there was oncomming traffic then even with a wide road I would not go unless they are so far away that I could get safely back in.

I would indicate left on approach even if the exit is at 2 o'clock, don't see how it should confuse. With the 2nd roundabout if the signal cancels then steering would take priority and since the signal was on approach it should just be reapplied as soon as possible.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 31-08-10 14:43:35

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

A signal should benefit and not confuse, so if following traffic would benefit from a signal on approach, or anyone else, then use it, reapply as necessary.

Would this be a DSA test or advanced?

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#4 31-08-10 16:10:38

(ROG)
Verified Member

[URL=http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3072&start=0]THIS[/url] might help

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 31-08-10 16:26:28

ExAdiNigel

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ben and I am looking for the wisdom of others for the following two questions.

If me or a pupil is in line for a set of traffic lights of which we want to turn right but the lane does not split until the end, Would we be allowed on a driving test or check test or any other time to overtake and come back into our lane a) if there is no one approaching and   b) if there was on coming traffic but a really wide road?

Depends on the markings really.  Is it legal?  Is it safe?  Would you do it when driving.  Whether it is on a test or check test is irrelevant really!

OK now for the second...

Roundabouts in my area are like all other areas these days are widley different. We have some where the first exit is at two o clock I teach to approach in the left hand lane and signal just before leaving as it seems silly and confusing to signal left when going around the roundabout is this correct?
The other roundabout in question where the exit is at 11 o clock or even ten again although it is the first exit the signal will cancel but is it acceptable to leave it until you have steered right then signal so it does not cancel?

Although you (and following traffic) may know where the lane you are in is going do the vehicles waiting to join know?  Can they see your lane markings from where they are?

Your help would be great!!

Many thanks Ben

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Board footer