You are not logged in.

#1 18-08-10 18:56:35

wayne1983

D1 minibus driver test

Hi im new here, well i took my test today and got 5 minors but 1 major sadly and lost. sad Now not only was i gutted id failed, but then find its going to cost another £250!
Although im in employement already, i dont earn enough to keep throwing that sort of money around for 2 hours work. I dont want to make this a long ranted first post, but it just seems to me, whilst i think its good to get experience driving vehicles  bigger than cars, its just tured in a money making racket unless your unemployed, cheers big_smile

18-08-10 18:56:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: D1 minibus driver test

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 19-08-10 21:02:52

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Hi Wayne - sorry to hear you were unsuccessful on your D1 test, 5 Driver Faults sounds like a good drive but what was the serious/dangerous for?  It sounds like you are really ticked off with the result but you wouldn't have failed unless the examiner felt it was necessary to record a serious or a dangerous fault. 

You are claiming it's a money making racket - the test fee is £115 how much does your trainer charge per hour?  If I took one of my B+E candidates on test day paying privately  they pay the same test fee and they have 1 hour before the test plus 1.5 hours hire of the vehicle on test total cost for the same session would be £215 - so either your trainer feels you need extra time before your test or they are a little on the expensive side wink

Best of luck for your next attempt - those that pass next time round understand where they went wrong the first time and still put in a quality drive to prevent them making the same or another serious fault, in other words take it on the chin, you made the error not the examiner, now go and get the job done - it's worth it when you get the right result and be rightly proud of passing the test smile   

Best of luck

Caroline

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#3 20-08-10 08:58:29

wayne1983

Hi, what i failed on was, i approached a round about with a few cars infront of me. When they moved off i was at the front and duely waited till it was clear (or at least i thought!), then this asda van (the home delivery type) came around the round about. Now i cant remember if he was going quick or i twitched and went, also i cannot personally remember him having any indicators on which may have made  me go.
Anyway basically he said that was dangerous move so that was that.
The rant is mainly due to the fact i only want this category for employment purposes, and since currently im only part time i have to pay, so another retest with 1 hours training is going to cost £250.
So to say i was peeved was an understatement but there ya go!. So im booked in for monday morning retest, just hope i pass this time, although i will say i dont enjoy these tests at all, if i was on my own i could just crack on with it!, cheers big_smile

Sorry when i said its a racket, i meant that i am told, (by older generation!) that 'back in the day' they trained bus drivers etc and folk didnt pay for training themselves. I wasnt meaning the companies directly jus the fact that for employement you have to pay a fortune. wink

#4 20-08-10 10:58:56

Stephen7738

Wayne sounds like you did not see the approaching Asda van from your post as if you would have seen him then you would have waited,as not seeing the vehicle or how fast it was going or if it was indicating,suggests you didnt see it full stop.

Then if that is the case the examiner was quite right in his decision as you would have emerged into the path of another,is that not what happened did you stop or did the Asda driver take the necessary action,someone did as you dont mention a coming together.

Dont worry good luck with your next test.
Stephen

#5 20-08-10 19:26:06

wayne1983

Yeah he was probably right to fail, but the annoying thing was but for that i wouldve passed.
Still will try again monday and hope to pass monday, although i will be s****** myself, my test nerves arent the best.  roll neutral

#6 21-08-10 09:41:49

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Best of luck for Monday Wayne, hope all goes well for you this time, stay focused smile

#7 21-08-10 14:40:09

wayne1983

Thanks, i hope i can comeback and say ive passed and not thrown another £250 down the drain. wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 22-08-10 20:20:34

wayne1983

Wayne sounds like you did not see the approaching Asda van from your post as if you would have seen him then you would have waited,as not seeing the vehicle or how fast it was going or if it was indicating,suggests you didnt see it full stop.

Then if that is the case the examiner was quite right in his decision as you would have emerged into the path of another,is that not what happened did you stop or did the Asda driver take the necessary action,someone did as you dont mention a coming together.

Dont worry good luck with your next test.
Stephen

Sorry, im not sure, i must presume the asda van took the appropriate action.
Anyway tomorow morning is the day again!, i will be more observant on the roundabouts too!

#9 23-08-10 12:37:40

wayne1983

Well i failed again!. But this time 12 minors and 2 majors! yikes  Well as this cost a further £250 i wont be back in hurry for another test, and tbh i would say i am highly unlikely to put in for it again.
Lets just say, i think ive been found wanting, and cannot hack minibus driving to driving my car so ive basically decided it isnt for me afterall.

#10 23-08-10 18:39:11

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Sorry to hear that Wayne sad all the best to you in whatever you decide to do.

Caroline

#11 23-08-10 19:07:53

wayne1983

Yes its very dissapointing, but i think id rather quit now than spend another x£££'s on something i may never grasp.
If it wasnt so dear i would think of entering again, but at £250 a shot i dont think its worth it. The thing is it was only purely for employment purposes so i may has well just get 'another job' and forget about it.
Will say though the twice ive failed on, well ive been on buses/mini bus/taxis and they way theyve drove as left you shutting your eyes!. Oh why couldnt i have passed around 1990 time or whatever it was then you just got all that malarky on your licence without having to do all these faffing.  roll big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 25-08-10 18:11:42

(ROG)
Verified Member

The thing is it was only purely for employment purposes so i may has well just get 'another job' and forget about it.
Oh why couldnt i have passed around 1990 time or whatever it was then you just got all that malarky on your licence without having to do all these faffing.  roll big_smile

Even if you had got the D1 before 1st Jan 1997 you would not be able to drive a PCV minibus for a living as pre 97 D1s came with a 101 restriction which means not for hire or reward.

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#13 25-08-10 18:49:42

wayne1983

wayne1983 wrote:

The thing is it was only purely for employment purposes so i may has well just get 'another job' and forget about it.
Oh why couldnt i have passed around 1990 time or whatever it was then you just got all that malarky on your licence without having to do all these faffing.  roll big_smile

Even if you had got the D1 before 1st Jan 1997 you would not be able to drive a PCV minibus for a living as pre 97 D1s came with a 101 restriction which means not for hire or reward.

Well there must be some bending at sheffield city council then, they all get paid there, and i know for fact that theres some i know have never done a 'test' as such.
Mind im not surprised there as there has been 'dodgy' licences in the past. I was even told to ask if there could be some 'backhanding' to get me on driving! Bent as a nine bob note.

#14 25-08-10 18:54:03

(ROG)
Verified Member

Councils often have community exemptions where those travelling in their minibuses are not fare paying passengers - such as taking the infirm for free days out or to community centres etc

IAM Observer

#15 31-08-10 18:11:45

wayne1983

Well i know i said i wouldnt do this again, but im still mulling about doing it!. But the thing is i feel as though my confidence is shot.
Not personally doing a job, but just that i dont know if i can stomach another test and failuer!
I dont know what to tbh, one minute i think ill give it another go, then the next i think i cant go back.
I know one thing, it will nag me for life whatever i do.
:? sad

Also i didnt say, but at the moment i am undergoing 'tests' or whatever, as i may have dyspraxia, which would explain at lot to my life, and why i can be so erratic at times. But i may still enter for test hopefully.

#16 01-09-10 08:28:58

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Unless you failed on the Safety Questions or the reversing exercise, the chances are, you'd probably have failed a car test too.

It is the standard of your driving that is wanting, and not the driving of a minibus.

Just like the taxi and bus drivers you say you have experience of, and who's driving is a concern, you passed a driving test but that is no real measure of how you drive after passing it.

Become a member of one of the "advanced" driving organisations and improve your driving skills. Pass their test at their higher level and then retry the D1 test.

#17 01-09-10 09:40:51

(ROG)
Verified Member

Become a member of one of the "advanced" driving organisations and improve your driving skills. Pass their test at their higher level and then retry the D1 test.

That is probably the best advice you will ever get.

It does take time, typically 5/6 months, to get to advanced test standard and to intsill that style of driving as standard

The IAM does a complete all in package for £139 and the observer/adviser will give you their time for FREE - usually takes about 6 drives with  the observer - 1 drive out every 4 weeks for about an hour with the inbetween time used for practice.

IAM Observer

#18 01-09-10 18:12:59

wayne1983

Cheers for advice, may be a good idea to do, however its fitting it around work etc. I cant really afford to be taking half days off here and there unpaid, thats the problem neutral

#19 01-09-10 19:11:29

(ROG)
Verified Member

Cheers for advice, may be a good idea to do, however its fitting it around work etc. I cant really afford to be taking half days off here and there unpaid, thats the problem neutral

In 99.99% of cases the IAM observers manage to fit the runs in with the free time that the associate has

fitting in a one hour run every four weeks is not that difficult to achieve

IAM Observer

#20 01-09-10 19:19:02

wayne1983

Hmm i suppose thats not then. What exactly does the training scheme achieve, is it basically just to brush up before a test or some achievement to get it? cheers.

#21 02-09-10 07:48:53

(ROG)
Verified Member

Hmm i suppose thats not then. What exactly does the training scheme achieve, is it basically just to brush up before a test or some achievement to get it? cheers.

Those that get to and pass the test achieve a higher standard of driving by using greater forward thinking & planning as well as adopting a different system/style of driving

To find your local group and their contact number go to http://www.iam.org.uk/iamgroupsdirectory/
hope it helps

IAM Observer

#22 02-09-10 09:13:43

wayne1983

Oh right ill see about it. 6 and 1/2 years driving on your own gets you in habits, and i think thats whats happened. Ive never had accident touch wood, but ive slipped as a driver probably. :oops:

#23 02-09-10 11:04:30

(ROG)
Verified Member

Oh right ill see about it. 6 and 1/2 years driving on your own gets you in habits, and i think thats whats happened. Ive never had accident touch wood, but ive slipped as a driver probably. :oops:

Happens to most drivers.
The reason is that very few have an assessment of their driving done post DSA L test so they plod along THINKING all is ok instead of doing something positive and checking that it is ok

Those that do have their driving checked on a regular basis can say that they KNOW their driving is ok

IAM Observer

#24 02-09-10 19:01:53

wayne1983

wayne1983 wrote:

Happens to most drivers.
The reason is that very few have an assessment of their driving done post DSA L test so they plod along THINKING all is ok instead of doing something positive and checking that it is ok

Those that do have their driving checked on a regular basis can say that they KNOW their driving is ok

Yeah you do go into habits. I dont think im putting in for anything for the time been as 1 i cant afford too, and 2 i feel ive lost confidence taking tests at the moment, not general driving.

#25 02-09-10 19:11:48

(ROG)
Verified Member

Then do 'General driving' but in a different way - the advanced way and over the months your confidence /skills will improve and culminate in a test which is done when YOU are ready

IAM Observer

Board footer