You are not logged in.

#1 08-08-10 02:55:05

Cat8t3
Verified Member

1st check test is here

Hi everyone

I've not posted for a while but do read through this site regulargly and take on all the advise given. My check test letter arrived on the door step yesterday, so all day I've been pondering what subject to cover, wether to use a pupil or se, etc etc etc, went to bed with no more of an idea what to do, than when I opened the lettter.

Well you notice by the time of my post, that I've just woken up, mid dream with an idea, but I'd really like to run it past you guys for an opinion.  smile

I have a pupil that will be ready for test around the end of oct, which will be when the new test is introduced. I know with what I'm about to say next, some of you may say that I should teach this way anyway, but I'll be honest I don't.  Was thinking to make my check test lesson a 1st lesson of getting my pupil to indepent drive.

My lesson plan, would be discussing, how to read directions on road signs and QandA her on what observations shell need to make, how sh would use lada, to identify the direction but then concentrate on which lane she needs to approach etc. I thought I could plan a route so we follow a few different destinations.

At the moment I encourage my pupils to look at the road signs of course I do, but my instruction would be for example,on a particular rb in Worcester I'd say, I'd like you to go straight ahead at the rb 2nd etc, so I'm suggesting which lane to app in, with my instruction(which the se also say when giving directions on test) but looking however looking at the rb sign on app, the 2nd etc is actually 2oclock, so therefore based on the normal routine would be a right hand lane app, but you really to app in the left as the rb is arrowed to do so. Ok I'm so I'm going a long way round of trying to say what I want, sorry  sad but hopefully you all get my drift, I basically want to do an independent driving lesson, and the objective would be for her to us lada, to assess and react on all different types of roads, tl, jnts etc safely while being able to find her way around,  and realise that the signs arnt
always a definate indication to which lane etc you should app in. I'm hoping this subject would bring up an array of faults, for me to correct,  like miss judging app to fast or to slow as she assess's which way to go etc the general missedmirrors etc.

Your opinions we be really most appreciated, the pupil Id like to use just needs perfecting on manouvers. Her general driving is super with only sometimes, missing a mirror, or pulling away in 1st etc, so my thought are that
she would definately benefit from a lesson like this. Let me know what you think.  smile oh and if I don't make sense, it's because I've wrote this whole post on a tiny screen on my phone smile smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

08-08-10 02:55:05

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st check test is here

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 08-08-10 15:42:52

Marco Polo
Website

Bounce your ideas off your local SEADI. Call, or pop in to visit. They should be happy to help.

Since you live in Worcester, make an appointment to get some check test training from Blaine Walsh, who lives in Worcester. He's one of the most highly regarded ADITs in the UK.

#3 08-08-10 17:40:58

Matterhorn

I wish I could plan my lessons that far in advance in as much detail.

#4 08-08-10 19:28:07

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Thanks for the advice Marco, Ill do that.  smile smile

I wish I could win the lottery.  big_smile big_smile I must be more organised than others.  tongue

#5 08-08-10 23:17:10

Adi1234

To me sounds a brilliant real world lesson. If delivered well I am sure the se would be happy with that. as long as the core comps are followed and some learning takes place You should be fine.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 10-08-10 18:43:09

jonnmedds
Verified Member

To me sounds a brilliant real world lesson. If delivered well I am sure the se would be happy with that. as long as the core comps are followed and some learning takes place You should be fine.

and as long as the pupil is at the stage where they can handle an independant drive. Don't be afraid to change the lesson plan before or during the ct.

Jon

#7 10-08-10 19:03:19

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Thanks everyone, for your advice  smile I've asked my pupil today to see if she would help me by being my pupil on my test, and she was honoured I'd asked her, bless her.   wink 

We had a lovely lesson today, and decided we are going to book her test, she will definately be ready for an independant drive.

Now my predicament is to wether to do lots of different destinations, and stop in intervals to chat about anything difficult, or wether to get her to follow signs for somewhere a little further away, that we've never been to, and get to drive back. neutral Obviously it can't be to far, as it's only an hour lesson, but that's where my hard work could be to find a suitable route. smile

#8 11-08-10 04:53:26

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Remember that although your pupil is not being asessed by the DE, she may well be affected by nerves and drive 50% worse than she does on a normal lesson with you so bear this in mind when deciding which lesson to choose.

Try getting a fellow ADI to sit in the back for a dummy check test and on the day be prepared to change the independant drive lesson into a junction lesson for example if your pupil goes to pieces on junctions. The DE is looking for you to identify, analyse and remedy faults, prioritise instruction, and give appropriate level of instruction and not neccessarily you to give a perfect lesson on independant driving.

Also have a back up plan for if the independant driving lesson goes well and you have time over for a manouevre for example.

Good luck!

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#9 03-09-10 22:13:33

asroxx@yahoo.com
Website

I think the best is to use the SE like a pupil. That's what I did. I mean your pupil might not do nothing wrong and you gonna try and make somethink up or you might get nervous.

#10 02-10-10 21:48:25

AndyLawton
Verified Member

I spoke with my local SE about a lesson to cover the skills needed for ID and he said great idea could be refreshing for the SE taking the CT.
My CT is 20 Oct and I have a pupil who has a lesson every week at the samer time as the test so gonna use him and do some ID preperation with him.

Turnover is vanity   -    Profit is sanity

#11 03-10-10 08:07:23

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi I did my check test and did some the independant drive, the se loved it, he said it was a great lesson plan, and could see that the pupil also enjoyed the lesson. I am going to do a full write up, but just haven't had the chance. Should beable to do tonight, if it would be useful.

I will give all the advice he gave me too in the write up.

Good luck with your test, enjoy it.

#12 03-10-10 08:37:21

AndyLawton
Verified Member

What grade did you get, and yes any pointers and comments would be greatly appreciated

Andy

Turnover is vanity   -    Profit is sanity

#13 03-10-10 21:25:14

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi
I got a Grade 4, this was due to me not sorting out her roundabouts, she over shot a roundabout as she thought she could go, but then decided not to, so ended up over the line. Although i told her the consequences of doing this, he said i should have asked her more q&a on approach to other roundabouts after that. He said had i have done so, he would have given me a 5. I'm happy with a 4.  I shall create a new post with my write up.  smile

Board footer