You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 23-04-04 15:11:10

adi
Verified Member
Website

show me tell me

Hi all,
On a test yesterday i noticed another instructors pupil put the hazard warning lights on to check the indicators for the SMTM section. Apparently this is acceptable? so the pupil can do a circuit around the car checking all indicator bulbs without having to do one side and then adjust the indicator stalk to do the other side. Can anyone else confirm this is okay?

23-04-04 15:11:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: show me tell me

#2 23-04-04 15:52:40

arib
Verified Member
Website

I've always instructed my pupils to do this and two have had the question on test without problems.
I know of other instructors who do the same.
One story says that a pupil once drove away on test with hazards on. Failed before he started. sad  So just make sure they switch them off.

ariB

#3 23-04-04 16:59:25

Midge
Website

I prefer my students to do it this way as they don't have to switch the electrics on, much safer.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#4 23-04-04 19:14:02

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi.

DVTA in Northern Ireland (DSA) have decided that Hazard lights are not acceptable as they do not prove the operation of the indicator switch, I am reliably informed that DSA are to follow this.

I am told by an Examiner that Instructors here are no longer allowed to open bonnet for a pupil and will be reported to local SE by Examiners where they do!

Marvellous innit?

Cheers

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#5 23-04-04 19:41:19

Liesa

Here we go again!

I'm sure they make the rules up as they go along.  roll

#6 23-04-04 20:07:35

jamiejungle1

lol hi all
  examiners in my area have said thats how they want it done to save time :idea:

#7 23-04-04 20:08:19

jamiejungle1

lol hi all
  examiners in my area have said thats how they want it done to save time :idea:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 23-04-04 20:48:38

arib
Verified Member
Website

Liesa wrote:

Here we go again!

I'm sure they make the rules up as they go along.  roll

You're dead right Liesa.
As Beonedge says they won't allow it in N. Ireland.
Yet here in Nottingham it's not a problem. So who's right and who's wrong. Will the DSA tell us. Don't be daft, they don't think of things like that.  :evil:

arib

#9 23-04-04 22:38:14

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Yes, Here we go again !!!!

I can see the point in a way, But isn't it to check the bulbs are working ?

And then after you have done this you could sit in the car and check the signal arm is working by watching it flash on the insmnt panel, But then doing this may be giving a misleading signal to any cars that may be around ?

Oh Dear lol

#10 23-04-04 22:42:51

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

I have printed SMTM handouts from MSA/RCM Marketing which show the following.

Q) :Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.

A): Apply the indicators or hazard warning switch and check functioning of all indicators.

The purpose of this check is to make sure all the bulbs are working. Any faults with the switch would soon become apparent at the first or second junction.

Since Sep when SMTM was introduced I have always taught Hazard switch for indicator checks with no problem from any examiner.

Mark

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#11 24-04-04 07:59:11

adi
Verified Member
Website

Adding on to this subject, i can't really see the point in the 'walk around' the car and view each light flashing,  because if you operate your indicators and a bulb is defective in the circuit the lights on the affected side will flash double time.

#12 24-04-04 10:53:16

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi Driving Ambition.

Have the same handouts, was told to score out the bit about hazard lights or face a pupil getting a minor sad .

Agree with adi, there is an audible warning of failed bulb, so why can they not do it in the car :?:   gets round the problem of leaving the keys in the ignition and having the car nicked :!:

Cheers

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#13 24-04-04 11:18:40

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

Never had any minors for checking indicators with hazard switch

www.drivingambition.info
off Road for under 17's

menu_badges.gif

#14 24-04-04 12:07:50

Liesa

Doesn't it state on the DSA web site, on their list of smtm questions that, using the hazard lights to test the indicators is acceptable?

I just checked it out and if you follow the link below, it clearly say's that, using the hazard lights to check the function of the indicators is acceptable!

Have a look at combination 4

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/driving/changes_to_pt_car.htm

Well done DSA

#15 24-04-04 18:51:00

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Lisa

Heres the text from the DSA website

Combination 4

Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against high/low markings.

Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.
Applying the indicators or hazard warning switch and check functioning of all indicators.

So,  no problem then !

www.drivingambition.info
off Road for under 17's

menu_badges.gif

Board footer