You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-08-10 20:29:07

Carbeck
Verified Member
Website

Passed Part 3 this week

Some of you will have read this write up on another forum, but thought I'd also post it here for those that they be interested.

I sat my first attempt at part 3 in February of this year. I went in confident, but came out the other side with eyes fully opened! Whereas I thought I was able to pass, I fell far short of what was expected of me during that test – partly due to nerves, partly being under prepared. On that occasion I got PST 2 and came away with a 3/3 (I don’t feel I even deserved that mark). The SE ran rings around me and I drove away from that test totally despondent. My ever suffering wife was left to pick up the pieces as I felt so guilty for failing after all the time, effort and money I had put into training thus far. Thankfully, she kept on at me to continue, she managed to get me back on track and I pulled myself together and got back in the car.

After feeling so out of my depth, I decided a change was as good as a rest and changed training companies. I signed up with an Ordit registered training company in Glasgow and virtually re-trained with them. Everything I thought I had learned previously went out the window, and a new fully structured method was introduced to me with regards to passing part 3.

Second attempt happened in June, PST 4 – same result 3/3. Only this time I was prepared. I knew my stuff and was coming out of that test centre with a pass…….until my nerves kicked in! SE said I started extremely well and he thought he was onto an easy session, but 10-15 minutes into it I lost focus and I lost my control of him……I deserved to fail this one through my own inaction.

After these previous attempts, I was even more determined to pass on my last attempt.

Here’s a tip for the PDI’s reading this post…….aim to pass first time – second if you must, as going to test knowing it’s your last throw of the dice is not a happy place to be !

Anyway I got up 5.50am on morning of the test. Cut myself shaving (good start – NOT) and got prepared to leave. My test was at 8.45am at Baillieston in Glasgow (across the other side of the city from where I live), so left at 7.00am to beat the morning rush. Got there at 7.30am, parked up and listened to the radio to try and keep me calm. Got the L’s on the car and went into the test centre at 8.30am. At 8.45am, Duncan came out and shouted my name, I signed the declaration and seen I had PST10 (Had went over this very PST with my trainer just last week – good start me thinks).

Phase 1

We went out to the car and I got myself settled as he took the details. Word picture was that he’d had some lessons with another instructor, they couldn’t make it today and he was due to learn about Meeting situations, Adequate Clearance and Anticipation. Done the briefing at the test centre and were on our way. He started off by trying to enter the cycle area (over the first white line) at the traffic lights, managed to stop him before he did and discussed the dangers there and then as the lights were on red. We were then straight into a residential area with numerous meeting possibilities. Talked him through the first meeting situation and discussed the hold back position and guided him to the proper position and got him to stop (as the street was very quiet). After doing this he was quite comfortable doing it by himself. Next fault appeared shortly after with his position in relation to the parked cars. Pulled him over and confirmed he knew what the normal driving position was and that he had a reference for it – he did. This is where I got my photographs out. (I have previously spent numerous hours out photographing reference points for my particular car and he handed me the golden opportunity to use them – he was the same height as me and told me the reference point was in the exact same place that I had photographed it – happy days!). Showed him the photo for the normal driving position where the kerb comes into the car and confirmed with him that if we substitute the kerb for the outside tyres of the parked cars – they were one and the same. Also took this opportunity to advise that depending on width of road, these may have to be adjusted and went through the “less space – less pace” rule. As soon as we moved away I consolidated this on the move and after that it was sorted. Kept asking him throughout what he was going to do certain situations i.e pedestrians, cars emerging to build up his awareness and keep him alert and that was the end of Phase 1.

Phase 2

Partly trained learner with a test in a few weeks time, other instructor had went off on holiday and he had come to me to polish up on his progress, hesitancy and normal positioning.

Started this one off by introducing myself and done a bit of Q&A with regards to safe speed for road we were parked on, where he would normally position to turn left/right and approach speeds. Once the cockpit drill was carried out we were off once more.
First fault was his road position – he started to drift towards the centre lines, I guide him back to a safe position and asked him if he had a reference point for his normal driving position – he said no. I didn’t want to do the reference point on the move but did guide him to centre of the lane and asked him to glance in his mirrors to confirm we were within the lane markings (were on a 40mph road) and asked him to look well ahead and find a safe place to pull in and park. He then turned us off the main road. Once parked I got my photo’s back out and went through the Reference points that I had for me as a driver and advised him that his reference point won’t to be too far away from where I see it as we were similar heights. Once on the move again, I got him into position and consolidated where he seen the kerb coming into the car and once again it was sorted. We then approached a T junction to emerge, there was a pensioner looking to cross from our right and Duncan (or Jim as he was then) then decided to wave him over after he had stopped…….aaaaargh…..I couldn’t get the words out quick enough to stop him – told him that was not on and we’d need to speak about that when safe. When we emerged we were straight into busy roads with lots happening and I forgot about the pedestrian incident. Thankfully, I remembered a few streets away and I pulled him over and gave him a retrospective @?#* for putting the old guy in danger. Asked him what would have happened had a car approached to turn left from the main road and ran him over blah blah – he got the point.
He was also starting to play about with his speed, but we were now back at the test centre and it was all over.

My 10 minutes waiting for the result and debrief wasn’t as bad as the first two test and I actually text my wife and told her I thought I had passed.

When Duncan called my name again, we went into the meeting room and he asked how I thought it had went. To this I replied I was far more comfortable this time. He then proceeded to swipe the legs away from by asking “what’s the first thing you do when you come across a meeting situation?” I answered “check the mirrors”. “Correct” he said………”how many times did you miss me NOT checking them?”
That was it….I lost it, my head went down and I thought I’d blown it! I had seemingly missed a couple of mirror checks right at the start. The fact that I had remembered to discuss the waving incident even if it was retrospectively, also showed that even if I got bogged down with other stuff I was still able to go back and get it sorted. He told me my score was based on my overall ability to instruct and what was good, was very good and I just had to polish up on a few things.

I managed a “Satisfactory” mark of 4/4……..but I don’t care now as a pass is a pass!

I guess the moral of this story is never give up even if you think you’ve blown it!

Regards,

Tom

06-08-10 20:29:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Passed Part 3 this week

#2 07-08-10 20:48:32

quickpass

Congratulations. Great write up Tom. Thanks, and all the best in your new career.

#3 08-08-10 15:47:42

Marco Polo
Website

Well done Tom, keep improving!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 08-08-10 15:56:50

Carbeck
Verified Member
Website

Congratulations. Great write up Tom. Thanks, and all the best in your new career.

Thank you !!

Well done Tom, keep improving!

Cheers, that’s the plan !

#5 08-08-10 16:26:30

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Fantastic write up Carbeck, makes it all worth while, good luck with your new career.

Matt

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08
Part 3. Failed 1st attempt 17/3/09
Part 3. 2nd attempt Passed 01/05/09
1st Check Test Grade 6 31/3/10

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 09-08-10 11:11:03

Carbeck
Verified Member
Website

Fantastic write up Carbeck, makes it all worth while, good luck with your new career.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

#7 09-08-10 13:24:49

john55
Verified Member

Congratulations on your pass. Super write up to.

Well done.    big_smile

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#8 10-08-10 13:46:56

Carbeck
Verified Member
Website

Congratulations on your pass. Super write up to.

Well done.    big_smile

Thanks John  smile

Board footer