You are not logged in.

#1 06-08-10 13:11:20

neil adi

Pst 6 pedestrian crossing phase 1

i`m really getting stuck on this one,
do you tell them the basic types pelican ,puffin,etc and the rules about what to do and not what to do msm/psl..demonstrate arm signals and the differnce bewteen a crossing with and without a refuge .
any one give me some idea of how to approach this one.
thanks

06-08-10 13:11:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Pst 6 pedestrian crossing phase 1

#2 06-08-10 22:09:49

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Re: Pst 6 pedestrian crossing phase 1

Hi Neil,

This is the part of the forum where everyone waits for 1 brave person to offer some constructive, friendly, helpfull advice... and then in an attempted to prove how superior they are comes back with the smallest irrelevant points imaginable to prove the other wrong.  Thats why you posted at 2.11pm and its now 11.10pm and I'm the first to offer advice  tongue

So I will start off with this:  the crap thing about learning to drive and learning to be an instructor is that there is no right or wrong, and lots of grey areas.  The way I do something may not be the way another does it, but, as long as we give correct information and the pupil learns and is safe, I think we are all OK  tongue   

There are of course easier or better ways to do certain things.  With a real pupil you will have more time, and you may have already introduced certain things about crossings and signals before you actually teach them crossings or signals (and you possibly (probably) wouldn't teach both these subjects at the same time in the real world).  But for part 3 you are on a time limit, and PST 6 has a lot of information to get across in a short time.  I would suggest you start with what your being marked on:

MSM
Speed on approach
Stop when necessary
Overtake on approach
Inviting pedestrians to cross
signals by indicator
Signals by arm
signals timing
Unnecessary signals

Those are where the examiner will put faults in, so when giving the briefing include things that cover the above list.  As you can see there is no mention of an explanation of the different types of crossing.  Depending upon the area your doing your part 3 in and the distance between crossings, you may be able to explain the differences on the move, or, if you know there are for example no toucan crossings in that area, why waste your limited time during the briefing describing them?  You are being marked on 'stop when necessary' so your examiner/pupil needs to know what the lights mean and how they have to react to them, but they dont need to know every different type because your not being marked on 'type of crossings' - its a practical lesson rather than theory. 

For me personally, and like I said there is no right or wrong, I would do something like this

1. Arm signals - Imagine our car has been vandalised and we have to drive to the garage with no rear lights.  Do you know the arm signal for left/right/slowing - either YES they do so check they doing it right, or NO they don't so you tell them and check they doing it right..... But our lights are fine today so you wont need to do an arm signal.  If the examiner really wants to do an arm signal, you will try to find quiet/safe place for them to do it, but you will tell them if/when they can do it.

2.  Signals by indicator/unnecessary - "would you always give a signal when turning and moving off/stopping if it was needed?"  (should say YES, but if not you can give consequences/dangers). 

3.  Signals timing - "if I asked you to take the second road on the left, when would you signal and why?"

4.  Unnecessary signals "would you use a signal in a way that would confuse another road user?"

5.  Inviting - "Why wouldn't you invite a pedestrian to cross a road?"

6.  Recognising the crossings - Zebra & Traffic Lights

7.  MSM

8.  Stop when necessary - rules for Zebra and what the traffic lights mean/light sequence

9.  Overtaking on approach - zig-zag lines and rules

Speed on approach is covered in 6/7/8 because you recognise the crossing, check mirrors, work out if you have to stop and adjust your speed depending upon what you see/know

The above sequence makes sense to me, but someone else may teach it in a different order, or you may find a way thats better for you.

Finally, before anyone has a go at me, my car was crashed into at a roundabout today when a car in the left hand lane tried to turn right and hit into the side of me.  Ive hurt my neck and cant turn to look left at all.  I've hurt my back and my leg.  I spent an hour at the walk in center and 4 hours in A&E.  I've lost out 2 days instructor training, and on Sunday I was supposed to be teaching a martial arts course which I also now cant do.  My parents came round to see me tonight and my mother decided to 'help' me by taking all the dirty dishes from my dishwasher and putting them (dirty and unwashed) back into my cupboards.

Poor me

Hope that helps you Neil

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

Board footer