You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-08-10 19:17:10

apples69

Want to become a LGV driver, how much can i earn?, is atkins lgv training good

I want to become a lgv driver, fed up with my office job and want a new fresh start, i love driving and i would like to have a LGV driving licence.

the nearest place to me that offers LGV training is atkins lgv training

http://www.atkinlgv.net/index.php?optio … &Itemid=26

is this a good company to go with?

is it better to go with 7.5 or 32 tonne and what is the difference?

my friend works with dhl as a lgv driver and is making £400 a week!

03-08-10 19:17:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Want to become a LGV driver, how much can i earn?, is atkins lgv training good

#2 03-08-10 21:09:00

bourneagain

Re: Want to become a LGV driver, how much can i earn?, is atkins lgv training good

Hi I used to be a hgv driver, and yes you will earn that type of money, even more if you spend nights away from home, never heard of the training company you mention, thats probably because we live in different parts of the country however its not as straight forward as you may think, a new driver has to do a cpc course, then go class 2 first, then train for class one, which these days will be expensive, then its trying to find a job, most companies want experienced drivers, you end up falling it the how am i supposed to get experience if no one will employ me scenario,this is not a put off just friendly advice, and it is a skill for life and once you do get the experience you should be able to jump from one job to another, which is good if your fed up lol. I forgot to mention you have to under go a medical, and when you reach 45years old they become more frequent.

hope this helps

Paul

#3 03-08-10 21:12:43

VandADI
Administrator

Is this in addition to becoming an ADI?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 03-08-10 21:55:27

apples69

Is this in addition to becoming an ADI?

i'm really fed up with my office job and just want to walk out, i only need to do 20hrs training before taking the practical test, see
http://www.atkinlgv.net/

i could do this 1st as the adi takes longer and in the meantime i could leave my job and work as a hgv whilst studying the adi course, im so so fed up with my office job

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 03-08-10 21:56:51

apples69

Hi I used to be a hgv driver, and yes you will earn that type of money, even more if you spend nights away from home, never heard of the training company you mention, thats probably because we live in different parts of the country however its not as straight forward as you may think, a new driver has to do a cpc course, then go class 2 first, then train for class one, which these days will be expensive, then its trying to find a job, most companies want experienced drivers, you end up falling it the how am i supposed to get experience if no one will employ me scenario,this is not a put off just friendly advice, and it is a skill for life and once you do get the experience you should be able to jump from one job to another, which is good if your fed up lol. I forgot to mention you have to under go a medical, and when you reach 45years old they become more frequent.

hope this helps

Paul

hi paul, can you take a look at http://www.atkinlgv.net/, i could not find the cps course you mention?

how long where you a hgv driver, so you can earn at least 20k a year minimum

#6 03-08-10 22:09:04

graemeg
Verified Member
Website

Hi apples69,

I was also a LGV C+E driver for 8 years before becoming a ADI.
The cpc that Paul has mentioned is in http://www.atkinlgv.net/ on the price list page it mentions module 4 and case study theory test these are as well as Hazard perception/theory test and practical driving test.

As Paul mentioned it is not easy to get a employer to let you loose with a 30 tonne lorry when you have no experience, and most haulage companies I know have really struggled in the recession.

Graeme

#7 04-08-10 15:24:00

bourneagain

Hi
I passed my hgv class 1 in 1995,even then it was difficult to find employment with no experience, even more so now, to answer your question about salary, yes you will earn more than £20.000 per annum,most haulage companies pay by the hour and you will get an extra tax free payment if you do decide to stay out overnight,it used to be around £20-£22 a night,but be aware that lorry driving is long hours, if you are used to working office hours then going home,that type of work may not suit your life style,again not trying to put you off, but its a lot of money to spend if at the end you don't like it, my advise would be to talk to local companies in your area to findout if they would consider employing you, some even have an in house training scheme were by they could train you with the prospect of employment after you have qualified, another way is to go out for the day in a lorry with a driver find out what his daily routine is etc, maybe the guy you mentioned in your first post could tell you more..

Paul

#8 04-08-10 17:33:19

daz6215
Verified Member

Just to add the advice already given, If you want to break into the industry then you've got to be prepaired to do the jobs nobody wants, when I first started back in the mid 90s I was working for less than what the minimum wage is today, I got the experience I needed and never really looked back, as already said once you gain the experience you'll work anywhere with a class1 , one more point you now also have to do 35 hours of training within a 5 year period to meet periodic cpc training requirements too.

#9 06-08-10 06:52:36

apples69

Thanks for all the advice smile

my brother in law works for dhl and is making £400 after tax a week, which is almost double of what i earn in a week working in an office, he said he could get me a job if i pass. i've always liked driving, so long hours would not be a problem.

i have decided to go for the class 2 (c rigid)

i think this would be a good start to go for this licence first and find work and then go for the class 1 c+e
how many questions are there in the theory test and can you resit the practical drivng test a unlimited number of times or does it only allow you 3 attempts and then you wait 2 years before trying again?

is there a focus dvd for the theory and hazard perception that i can buy?

i really want a change of career, i know doing this would not be too hard to pass if i put the hard work in and its only 16hrs practical which is over 4 days, so in theory in could pass the course in say 2 mnths

#10 06-08-10 19:17:28

digit
Verified Member
Website

Hmmmmm
Seems like a lot of links to the training company apples  :?!!
Aren't dhl drivers self employed?

Donnie ADI.

#11 08-08-10 07:01:54

apples69

well i have now ordered the d2 pack inc the d4 medical forms from the dsa web site, i can't wait to give this a go

how many questions are in the theory databank?

#12 08-08-10 07:06:31

apples69

Hi
I passed my hgv class 1 in 1995,even then it was difficult to find employment with no experience, even more so now, to answer your question about salary, yes you will earn more than £20.000 per annum,most haulage companies pay by the hour and you will get an extra tax free payment if you do decide to stay out overnight,it used to be around £20-£22 a night,but be aware that lorry driving is long hours, if you are used to working office hours then going home,that type of work may not suit your life style,again not trying to put you off, but its a lot of money to spend if at the end you don't like it, my advise would be to talk to local companies in your area to findout if they would consider employing you, some even have an in house training scheme were by they could train you with the prospect of employment after you have qualified, another way is to go out for the day in a lorry with a driver find out what his daily routine is etc, maybe the guy you mentioned in your first post could tell you more..

Paul

hi paul, im am looking at a change of career now and will start the lvg course class 2 rigid, its a skill for life and once the economy picks up the demand will be there in hgv, basically i just want to get the class 2 rigid licence asap and get a job

#13 08-08-10 07:08:13

apples69

Hi apples69,

I was also a LGV C+E driver for 8 years before becoming a ADI.
The cpc that Paul has mentioned is in http://www.atkinlgv.net/ on the price list page it mentions module 4 and case study theory test these are as well as Hazard perception/theory test and practical driving test.

As Paul mentioned it is not easy to get a employer to let you loose with a 30 tonne lorry when you have no experience, and most haulage companies I know have really struggled in the recession.

Graeme

hi Graeme,

how long were you working as hgv and why did you decide to become an ADI?

#14 09-08-10 21:55:38

graemeg
Verified Member
Website

hi Graeme,

I was a LGV driver for over 8 years.
Decided to become a ADI as I liked the idea of not working 50-70 hours a week and sleeping in my own bed at nights.

Its not as easy as you might think, especially as you are used to working 9-5 mon to fri, you can forget that right away sad

Its very long hours and working at weird times of day to get to places for breakfast time.
Yes the money can be good but it comes at a cost.

Graeme

#15 10-08-10 18:54:10

apples69

apples69 wrote:

hi Graeme,

I was a LGV driver for over 8 years.
Decided to become a ADI as I liked the idea of not working 50-70 hours a week and sleeping in my own bed at nights.

Its not as easy as you might think, especially as you are used to working 9-5 mon to fri, you can forget that right away sad

Its very long hours and working at weird times of day to get to places for breakfast time.
Yes the money can be good but it comes at a cost.

Graeme

Hi Graeme, how much did you earn when you were working 50-70 hrs a week?

i love driving and dont mind the long hours at all, did you sit the hazard perception test?

#16 16-08-10 23:19:07

Matty26

There are 100 questions in the theory test

#17 25-08-10 18:23:57

(ROG)
Verified Member

well i have now ordered the d2 pack inc the d4 medical forms from the dsa web site, i can't wait to give this a go

This may be of use -

This is the basic version of the INITIAL driver CPC

Module 1a theory questions - multiple choice - LGV THEORY BOOK and/or training by LGV school
Module 1b HPT - HPT DVD and/or training by LGV school
Module 2 Initial driver cpc theory - senario questions - multiple choice INITIAL DRIVER CPC BOOK and/or training by LGV school
Module 3 practical drive - Training for this by LGV school. DSA LGV test centers & routes
Module 4 Initial driver cpc - practical on site (no driving) - Training for this by LGV school. INITIAL DRIVER CPC MODULE 4

Both modules 1a & 1b must be passed before taking 3. Module 2 must be passed before taking 4
The mod 4 pass DQC (driver cpc card) cannot be issued until mod 3 is passed.
Many schools are doing the mod 4 test during the mod 3 training.

1a, 1b & 2 done at theory test centre - BOOK YOUR OWN THEORY TESTS or by LGV training school
3 & 4 done at LGV driving test centre

Modules 2 & 4 not needed if got C1 on licence

Modules 1a, 1b & 3 to get the LGV LICENCE
Modules 2 & 4 to be allowed to drive LGVs commercially

You do not have to do all the modules with the same training provider.
You may find that it is cheaper to shop around for the best deal for each module

All the theory & CPC books/CDs in one package

Other links you may find useful -

Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form Please print (colour, not black & white)
£49 MEDICALS

DIGI CARD FORM (Print in colour only)
DIGI TACHO GUIDES
Replacing lost, stolen or faulty driver smart cards

EU DRIVER REGS
VOSA GUIDE
RT(WTD)R guide

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Board footer