You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 28-07-10 19:59:27

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

Induced stalls on check test? (and CT result)

Finally got round to the check test that the DSA kept messing me about with. While the pupil I had wasn't one where I felt any need to work on post-stall panic by the controlled use of induced stalls in an off-road environment (and while I know there are some instructors who brief their pupils to commit specific faults so they can be seen to deal with them, I won't play that game), I did take the opportunity to discuss this with the SEADI.

I explained that I've used this technique in the past, explained that it would only be done in a car park or VERY quiet road, that the pupil would be briefed before carrying it out and told when I would stop doing it, what I would be trying to achieve and that in the past I have found it effective in getting some pupils over a panic caused by stalling. I asked what his thoughts were on the technique in general and if he would have accepted it on the CT if I had used it.

His response was that the duals are not just for safety purposes, but also to use as training tools and that he didn't see any issue with this if used in the correct manner. His example was that while you shouldn't use the clutch to help them on every pull away, sometimes you want to hold the clutch still so they get to feel the way you manipulate the bite, for example rolling up/holding position/catching roll backs on a hill.

If anyone still believes that this would lead straight to a CT fail (as was said before) or feels like questioning him as they doubt my honesty on this this, the SEADI was Viv Hartley.

Other than that, the CT was a disappointment to me. The pup decided half way through to switch off and I struggled to get through to her. His comment was that I spotted the problem soon enough, Q&A'd fully, but just didn't pull her back to basics and take control back. I'd planned to do TIR's, but she was too fast into J's last week, so explained at the beginning that I wanted to work on that and, if we got the problem solved, that we'd revert back to doing some reversing in a car park as an introduction to the TIR next week. I jumped on the speed issue during the recap, at the beginning of the drive and for the first 10 minutes or so, then felt that she'd got the issue sorted. Unfortunately, on the drive to the car park I was planning to use, she got into a flap and the speed control went again. Rather than spend the rest of the lesson on the speed issue, I decided to work on it in the car park (as it's a very large, deserted one, on a slope so speed can be an issue in it) and again thought it was improving. As a result, we did a little reversing which went well, then headed back to the TC. On the way back she had no problems with her speed on approach to any of the roundabouts, unfortunately, the speed issue wasn't at roundabouts but at normal junctions.

During his chat at the end, he said he felt that I needed to spend longer on the speed issue at junctions to make sure it was sorted, whereas my route to and from the car park was all roundabouts which didn't allow me to ensure the problem was solved.

The other issue was that as we'd been doing emergency stops last week, I did a quick recap on them at the beginning and then during the drive around I briefed and then got her to carry out an ES as part of my explaining why control of her speed was so important. Her stop was flawless, a little bit of a prompt before the move off to make sure the blind spots were checked then, like a complete bl**dy idiot, I forgot to check them myself! Also, he felt that we were a little to close to a parked car while carrying out the stop and would have preferred it to happen another 10 meters down the road.

Oh well, you live and learn and I can't disagree with anything that he said. Only a 4, but at least I don't get dragged back in a few months.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

28-07-10 19:59:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Induced stalls on check test? (and CT result)

#2 31-07-10 21:30:00

Target
Verified Member
Website

Re: Induced stalls on check test? (and CT result)

If anyone still believes that this would lead straight to a CT fail (as was said before) or feels like questioning him as they doubt my honesty on this this, the SEADI was Viv Hartley.

Sounds like my SE....Must be getting around a little.

I was just reading your thread Rob.....What I cannot understand is why anyone would say anything different.

We drum it into pupils that the driving test is the same as - well 'Driving', so it is that the CT is the same as giving a lesson.

Learning needs to take place. Your an Adi, not someone doing a PST.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Board footer