You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 14-07-10 11:56:43

john55
Verified Member

very powerful and may be a bit sqeamish for some.

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

14-07-10 11:56:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: very powerful and may be a bit sqeamish for some.

#2 14-07-10 22:48:56

Disky
Verified Member
Website

Like that John

#3 15-07-10 06:42:10

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

OK - I know this is going to sound controversial - but I don't think this stuff works. Having asked my pupils about this sort of video, they say that the main problem is they  forget about it a day or so later. I also feel that exposing people to this kind of thing just builds up their resistance to the effects, anyway - so the ultimate result being the opposite of what was intended.

I think focusing on the positives of people's driving behavior is actually more helpful. It's long time since I heard or saw any public info' films or videos promoting the advantages  of a positive attitude and politeness on the road.

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#4 15-07-10 06:55:27

adi
Verified Member
Website

You may be right for some people but not all.

Everyone is different, any one particular experience can trigger off a different reaction in different people.
I watched the above and thought it powerful. I know of some sickos that would actually laugh at most of the devastation shown in it. others wouldnt bat an eyelid and it would go way over their head.

When i was young i used to play on the frozen canal, never though anything of it. Then the 'charlie says' adverts being rammed down my throat made me feel different. Look how lame the 'charlie says' dont play on ice advert is compared to the above! And yet 30+ years on i still remember the 'charlie says', and it springs to mind everytime i see frozen lakes etc!

We cant teach everyone the same, and the above video is a useful aid to get into the skulls of some people!

#5 15-07-10 10:07:27

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Hilary has a valid point, but when a pupil says "I'll forget it before long, do they really know that they will forget?
They may forget it consciously but it's possible that for many people, the subconscious mind will retain the message.

This set of video clips is different from the usual shock-horror type where the viewer is cast as an injured victim, not the driver who caused the injuries.
Many people especially the teenaged drivers, tend to have a "it can't happen to me, it won't happen to me" attitude to personal injury & death, and I think this is a major reason why the shock-horror personal injury approach doesn't seem to work for many.

Like adi I'm sure that these videos will actually reach some people.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#6 15-07-10 10:37:28

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

It works on me, wish I'd have watched stuff like this when I was 17 and driving like an idiot.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Board footer