You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#51 03-05-09 00:00:26

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Re: Yet another failed attempt

When I first read that report a few years ago, I considered the validity of any and all of the stats that appeared to show a difference between test results of PDI's and those of ADI's of various grades.

The stats gave no inclination of actual instructor experience.
The stats were provided by just 1 company.  BSM.

I know from personal experience that PDI diaries are often filled with clients already trained by other instructors and it is quite common for a new PDI to be, or feel, pressured into taking someone to an already booked test, despite reservations of their ability to pass the test.

A question I KNOW that gets asked by booking clerks and office managers  to the new PDI is "Is he DANGEROUS? if not, take him to test, let him fail and you will get another 10 hours of lessons and another test from him".

Why do PDI's get these clients?  Because the experienced ADI has already refused to take their client to test and the client contacts the office about changing instructors or they will go elsewhere.

This scenario is VERY common. I witnessed it everytime I went into my old franchise office.
I read questions and comments about it on forums.
It was done to me for my 1st 2 weeks on a pink. Empty diary needed filling, so the office would fill with the clients with a test booked in a couple of days that no ADI was willing to take.

This situation MUST distort the pass rates of the PDI's as some, possibly many, of the test candidates they presented, and included in the survey were neither trained by, nor really supported by the PDI that presented them.

03-05-09 00:00:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#52 03-05-09 08:17:54

yasmin
Verified Member

I've only just popped into this thread and it certainly makes for an interesting debate. However, I was looking back at my diary of 2005/6 ( I was a PDI for 2 months, Oct/Nov 2005) a couple of weeks ago when I was on another depressing run of fails. My first 5 pupils were starting from scratch with me and 4 of them passed 1st time, one of them with 1df. Throughout the 1st year I had a 1st time pass rate of 67% but since then it has plummetted. Now, have I become a poorer ADI, has the test become more difficult, has the testing criteria changed, are my serial failers (all of whom have moved from instructor to instructor getting different bits of advice) the main problem----?. I reached the point several weeks ago when I asked the DE if it was time I gave up this job as I had become so worried. I'm happy to say that things have improved and I've had 2 passes in as many weeks but I know I may find myself in a similar position again. Maybe I was one of those lucky PDI's who gets the perfect pupil to take to test but it certainly brings you down to earth with a jolt when everything seems to go pear-shaped!

#53 14-05-09 08:46:25

TDW

Are you rushing the pupil to what you believe is an acceptable standard? Your standard maybe the view that you trust them with your car and keys however that might only be when you're sat there with the duals ready... As a PDI I found that I was more aware that they should be able to drive more or less autonomously but we could also lapse our interpretation of what we consider to be a Test candidate.

Try giving them a few more lessons and make sure, they will thank you for it in the end. I have had pupils come to me and say, "I have booked my test for a certain date". I have immediately thought, "OMG you are so not ready"! Now I tell them that I don't think they are ready, if they are not.

I think the other thing to consider is that you cannot help them on a test even if you're sat in the back... So you can never know what's going on in their head for any part of the test. We all know that pupils can be unpredictable at certain times. Sometimes they have an awesome lesson and other times they are half asleep, this is not a reflection of you or your teaching methods (unless you read a book while they drive...lol) so don't beat yourself up over it. Some they win, some (pupils) you lose.

That's my theory anyway.

TDW.

Things fall to pieces so that other things can fall into place.

#54 07-07-10 21:10:00

asroxx@yahoo.com
Website

The think is you need to know what faults he is likely to do for each PST and as soon as you see him doing even stop him at the side of the road . That's what I did as I also failed first time and I was angry just like you. It's not fair sometimes and you will never teach a pupil like that but that's how they set the test so give them what they want

#55 08-07-10 09:06:41

Luchell
Verified Member

Well this thread is a very old one but since as you have replied I thought i would add mine. Reading back through the original post once again there is little for the op to feel angry about. Apart from the standard of the training given to him if he took any that is.  neutral

Board footer