You are not logged in.

#1 06-07-10 09:18:36

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Re-claiming VAT

Just a quick question with regards to VAT

I'll be filling out my first full self assesment this year, which I think I will be ok with.

But I'm a little confused with regards to VAT. I keep all my VAT receipts for my petrol, and my question is this....

Am I able to claim back all the VAT paid on fuel??

Im sure this is a very easy question to answer, but Im getting conflicting answers from people in other businesses!

Thanks in advance

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

06-07-10 09:18:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Re-claiming VAT

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 06-07-10 09:21:41

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Unless you are VAT registered, you cannot claim back VAT.

The Whole receipt amount is tax deductable as an expense.

#3 06-07-10 09:33:27

mrbrightside
Verified Member

And to be VAT registered you need to earn over a certain amount per year I believe?

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 06-07-10 11:26:34

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

And to be VAT registered you need to earn over a certain amount per year I believe?

I think it's about £70k per year!!

Colin Kentish
Grade 6 DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Dream as if you'll live for ever
Live as if you'll die today

#5 06-07-10 14:29:42

oz11

As I remember, it used to a ceiling (say 70k for the sake of argument) over which VAT registration would be compulsory, below that you could register if you wanted. From what I remember of my days trading as a limited company it's extra form filling for little gain.

#6 06-07-10 15:10:43

hector
Verified Member
Website

It can be very beneficial for certain companies to register for VAT even if under the threshhold.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#7 06-07-10 16:21:41

oz11

Yes I agree it can be beneficial, certainly the higher the turnover the more the VAT that would normally be reclaimable. I was just suggesting that the extra form-filling wouldn't be worth the extra hassle if your turnover is nearer the 15K-20K region.

And then you have the chance of a visit from the VATman...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 06-07-10 17:08:00

hector
Verified Member
Website

Yes I agree it can be beneficial, certainly the higher the turnover the more the VAT that would normally be reclaimable. I was just suggesting that the extra form-filling wouldn't be worth the extra hassle if your turnover is nearer the 15K-20K region.

And then you have the chance of a visit from the VATman...

Definitely not, its easy to spend the VAT mans money! And forget your just a government tax collector (Unpaid)
Its very beneficial when dealing with other limited companies whatever your turnover.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#9 12-07-10 11:39:18

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

I believe you can register voluntarily even if you are under the threshold. However if you are making a profit then you will be collecting more VAT than you spend. This means lessons have to go up by the VAT amont or you cover the VAT in the current cost of lessons. So unless you could add it to lesson prices and maintain the same level of business it will mean you earn less.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

Board footer