You are not logged in.

#26 28-04-10 23:01:10

WILDORCHID

Re: DRIVING TEST CHANGES IN OCTOBER

Iam a learner...and yes i had heard about it a couple of months ago.To my knowledge (I may be wrong) as from october there will be an extra 10 minutes ' independant driving' added onto test...although in my opinion ..not quite independant if they are telling you where to head for. Also that as there will be an extra 10 minutes of test time...the test fee will also go up.
...btw i do know how things work on a test, which car i would drive etc wink

28-04-10 23:01:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 28-04-10 23:27:36

Adi1234

As I understand It the test will remain the same duration of time. It will just incorporate 10 minutes of independent driving.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#28 10-06-10 21:45:49

Target
Verified Member
Website

Theres are still pupils who do not know they need both parts of their licence, as one private runner found out today. Come along to the TC all cocky without L-Plates only to put them on just for the test.

Whats insulting about all this, is whilst the majority of instructors do know what changes are coming, and dont be surprised that come October there will be some who will still not know, theres still some who do not know about interpreters in the back being Adis.

.........Whats insulting is that we have known the changes are coming but we find out officially on the news eating your rich crispies in the morning.

Surely the DSA could at least give us the official headsup before going live with the announcement or is that too much to ask.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#29 10-06-10 21:48:00

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Target, sign up to the DSA email alerts smile

#30 10-06-10 21:52:26

Target
Verified Member
Website

Ive got it Kevin, but I still heard it on the news before I got the email, i would need to be at the computer also, dont always check the phone.

They must have made the decision before the news was realised, they must have made the decision before the email was written. Can we not be told then!

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#31 01-07-10 06:52:14

razzie

I'd like to think that learners try to find out as much about their test as possible, I know I did - I went on the net and downloaded the test routes, looked at the DSA website and asked my instructor loads of questions. After all its an exam - would you do your GCSEs or A levels without revising if you wanted to pass?
As for independant driving I think its a good idea to put it in the test - my instructor used to make me do it. When it was time to head back home, he'd just say "lets go home" and leave it up me how we got there. Occasionally he'd even make up scenarios where he'd say a road was "shut" to help me getting used to chaging a route on the move.
I would think most instructors would know and pass it onto their pupils in plenty of time.

#32 01-07-10 06:57:52

Target
Verified Member
Website

As this thread pushed up again.

Ive been waiting for floads of callers wanting to pass before the changes. Not sure if the thought of doing one less manoevere is delaying that, but that part seems to be hidden in the changes, in fact I did'nt realise myself until recently :?

Ive informed all my pupils, yet none have asked any further questions - perhaps they are researching it in their own way!

What I have noticed now....Whilst the DSA put some new tests dates on the web for August, they were all soaked up yet again by some Test Booking eating machine.

Am i missing something, because it seems to be the lowest summer period ive experienced, even less busier than last summer in the heights of the recession period but this seems totally dead.

Yet....Driving tests remain at 9+ weeks notice, try Winter in some test centres.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#33 20-07-10 10:09:43

asroxx@yahoo.com
Website

I think DSA should send a note to every ADI. I knew about the changes from other ADI's but nothing official

#34 20-09-10 10:26:58

active
Verified Member
Website

To be honest these changes aren't much of a big deal for the pupils as its what happens as soon as they past their test and are on their own..  In fact most ive spoken to see it as better as they only have to do one maneuver..

Graham

My Website Also follow My Twitter Or Like/Share My Facebook Page

#35 23-09-10 17:21:58

TraceyS
Website

If any body out there can tell me how it is safe to expect learners to cross a slip lane when turning right at the end if the sign is half way down the slip lane .I have always taught not to force a gap when in traffic ....... Is there an answer to not forcing a gap when the slip lane is fast flowing and the car behind you needs to no why your stopped or are slowing ??Im all for indipendant driving but feel between a rock and a hard place with this one after our meeting when examiner stated this would be part of the local test?

#36 24-09-10 10:58:47

Aspyre

The short answer is that if you and all other drivers are supposed to do it, then someone who passes their test and is going to be out there tomorrow actually doing it for real should be able to do it as well.

We need to teach them to drive - not just to be learners.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#37 24-09-10 11:29:11

Roadmaster
Verified Member

If any body out there can tell me how it is safe to expect learners to cross a slip lane when turning right at the end if the sign is half way down the slip lane .I have always taught not to force a gap when in traffic ....... Is there an answer to not forcing a gap when the slip lane is fast flowing and the car behind you needs to no why your stopped or are slowing ??Im all for indipendant driving but feel between a rock and a hard place with this one after our meeting when examiner stated this would be part of the local test?

You need to ask either the TC manager or your detam for advice, and how the examiners would mark it, because forcing a gap by moving out at some TCs would not be acceptable, just because there is an impatient driver behind. We need to teach them to pass a test as well as drive.

It's difficult to visualise your particular senario, could you post a google view of it?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#38 07-10-10 16:44:13

JJK
Website

To be honest these changes aren't much of a big deal for the pupils as its what happens as soon as they past their test and are on their own..  In fact most ive spoken to see it as better as they only have to do one maneuver..

Graham

Graham,

You are right, the inclusion of a few minutes of independent driving is no big deal. I have had two pupils take the new-style test this week, and neither of them had any difficulty with it - they both said afterwards that they have been driving like that for several months anyway.

So, learners out there - don't lose any sleep over the new test.

Board footer