You are not logged in.

#1 29-06-10 14:01:48

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Check Test Complaint

Anybody ever put in a complaint about a check test and got anywhere with it?

I did a role play fleet check test and the examiner did not respond to coaching or direct instruction and refused to change gear.  I should of stopped it half way thru, but like an idiot I kept going and trying to get him to change.  I wrote a complaint to the area manager, on the grounds that the examiner refused to do what I asked, and I cant teach someone who doesn't want to learn.  Had a meeting with him today which was a total waste of time - he asked what the problem was, i basically repeated what I'd said in my letter to him, he said he'd spoken to the examiner who disagreed with what I'd said, and that he would now go back to speak to the examiner, make a decision and let me know in 10 days.

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

29-06-10 14:01:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test Complaint

#2 29-06-10 14:53:24

FRANKS
Verified Member

Freedom Phil,

I don't do fleet work and I'm not registered to do it, when the DE wouldn't change gear for you what action did you take? Did you pull them over and ask why they wouldn't change up? Did you explaijn why you wanted them to change up?

I'm sure you did, but more information would be useful.

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#3 29-06-10 15:17:09

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

I didn't have a place to stop the car and ask why.  I explained why/when I wanted the examiner to block change (up and down).  He was in 3rd gear, accelerating, and I told him directly "go straight to 5th gear" and he didn't, he went to 4th so I told him to go to 5th and he didn't, he kept accelerating. 

I really just want to hear from people who have made a complaint about a role play check test and what happened

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#4 30-06-10 10:16:23

whodareswins
Verified Member

With all due respect to your experience.

When undergoing a role play fleet check test, you are (essentially) conducting an Occupational Road Risk Assessment on the Examiner. You MUST take account of his driving experience (as described in his word picture) and NOT treat him as a learner driver.

The objective is to assess his driving and keep your mouth shut until the end of the assessment drive. You then prioritise his shortcomings in order of risk, explain to him what they were and then concentrate on correcting the high risk issues on the second part of the drive.

You should NOT be providing or attempting to provide instruction or corrective action while the assessment is taking place unless his driving is dangerous or posing a real risk to the vehicle and/or other road users.

So I will ask the question - did the lack of gear changing pose any risk? Or was it just a "driving technique" issue that could have been mentioned when you were parked up (or on the drive back to the TC) regarding fuel efficiency.

Your mistake was 1. bringing it up in the first place and 2. consistently attempting correct it.

I have to say that the examiner responded in a way that any experienced driver undergoing an assessment would. He was being treated as a learner driver under instruction.

I honestly don't think that you have the grounds for a complaint.

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 30-06-10 10:53:24

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Agree 100% with Whodares. I was about to post the exact same sentiments.

#6 30-06-10 11:36:16

Luchell
Verified Member

I ran out of time to finish mine last night, I was also going down the same lines.

#7 30-06-10 11:48:45

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

I did exactly what I was supposed to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had done an assessment drive and this was during the 2nd drive.

I do not want to hear from people saying what they think I should have done, or what they would have done ect.  I want to hear from people who have made a complaint about an examiner doing a role play check test!!!!!!

.phil.

#8 30-06-10 11:57:17

Luchell
Verified Member

Apologies Phil but if you post a topic people will reply with perhaps not just the info you may be after  neutral

#9 30-06-10 12:07:37

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Oh, wind yer neck in and grow some thicker skin.

If you only wanted to know of other peoples experiences of how complaints were handled you only needed to post that question.

you expanded, and so other will offer their thoughts on more than just the little itsy bitsy bit of your posts you only want a resonse to.

no need to get all defensive and throw your toys out of your pram.

If it helps, the DSA's DT3, "Instructions and Guidance to Test Centre Managers" gives an outline of how such complaints are handled, and the paper trail required.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Form.asp?id=SX98EB-A7827119

Now, step back, take a look at what you posted, what you really wanted, and the response from others to your post.

Then step back, take a few mins to review what occurred on the check test, what you said, what you wanted, and how the examiner responded.

And no doubt, you might benefit from doing the same with any communications between you and the TCM.

Good luck with your complaint. Keep us informed. smile

Board footer