You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-06-10 17:22:53

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Fed up with my Suzuki Swift, Hyundai i10 i20 or i30?

Hi all.  I had had endless garage visits with my Swift 1.3 DDiS.

I had nightmares with dual controls when I first got the car which is well discussed elsewhere on this forum, so I was off to a bad start with Suzuki.

With the service intervals only being 9000 miles I was needing a service at least twice a year.  Numerous visits to reset the oil light sensor, which would flash after starting or stalling. Even with an oil change done a week ago.  This became a hassle telling examiners that there wasnt a problem with the car.

A new alternator was needed after 35000 miles. 

My latest problem was the DPF (diesel particulate filter) light coming on which required me to drive at a constant 60mph (not 55, not 70) for around 30 miles before it would correct itself.   With our motorway network here in NI thats not easy to do.

Then this week the SVS light came on indicating a fault with the electronics system somewhere.  The car had lost all power, particularly on hills, making it undrivable.

On analysis from Suzuki I now need Air Pressure Sensors and a new DPF. 
My car went into SMW in Belfast (who are great and always put me at the head of their queue for services and always got me on the road by the afternoon, by the way) on Thursday and Ive been out of work since then.

Right now Im really considering changing to something a lot more reliable and have been loving my dads Hyundai i30.  Im not sure it will be slightly bigger than Ive used for teaching in before, so maybe the i20 or i10 may be better.  Ive read a few threads on these cars and noted the legs hitting the steering/dash problem.

Id appreciate an opinion on any of these cars as tuition vehicles.  I also am liking the 5 year warranty too.

Is there really any difference right now between diesel or petrol?

29-06-10 17:22:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fed up with my Suzuki Swift, Hyundai i10 i20 or i30?

#2 29-06-10 17:33:07

DampDog
Verified Member

Buy something German!

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#3 29-06-10 19:57:38

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Bratwurst,

sorry DD couldn't resist.

Polo is an excellent car Jonny, but the i20 is very popular with instructors in my area.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#4 29-06-10 21:29:51

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Hyundai do seem to have done a good job with the i20/i30 judging by reviews...

But I've found Toyota to be so good I have to take the opportunity to recommend them. Toyota also now do 5 year warranty. If I was ever to switch I would say VW (Polo/Golf) or Audi (A3 or the new A1).

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#5 29-06-10 23:01:55

Adi1234

I would recommend the previous Model Of the polo very well built car and cheap to run with the sdi diesal engine. I tested a new model Polo and that was better to drive will be changing for one early next year.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 30-06-10 07:31:11

DampDog
Verified Member

Bratwurst,
sorry DD couldn't resist.

big_smile big_smile big_smile

I'm partial to a sausage sarnie myself... wink

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#7 30-06-10 09:17:49

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

...Just off the phone to Suzuki to see what time the car will be ready today.

...I need a new Intake manifold now also.

...News gets even better..

#8 30-06-10 10:56:13

DampDog
Verified Member

Close friend who isn't an ADI and just uses his car for himself and his gf. Bought a new petrol Swift last year. It's just a catalog of faults.

1. Petrol tank strap broke away from car (tank was actually lose) had to be welded back on car!
2. Intermittent loss of power. (Been in numerous times)
3. Front suspension clunks (Been in numerous times)
4. Intermittent engine warning lights.

Great shame, nice looking little car, just too fragile.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#9 30-06-10 12:29:01

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I've had my 1.5 petrol Swift 18 months, only problem is a rattle from the rear seat-back when going over bumps, and the driver seat adjustment is a bit "sticky" at times.
Car has been very reliable, the only disappointment is the poor torque at take-off as I'm used to bigger engines, and paint which is easily scratched, every tiny scratch shows white undercoat (must be a very thin top coat).

When I first saw a Swift I hated the looks, it was too weird for my taste but the shape has grown on me a bit.
I would prefer a larger rear window but this seems to be a problem in all modern cars especially the small ones.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#10 02-07-10 14:32:16

gmyc
Verified Member

Just took delivery of an i20 diesel yesterday, replacing a petrol Swift. Letting the pupils loose in it around Belfast tomorrow so will let you know how they feel in it. Personally, after only one day I think its great. Delivery times are quite long though!

If at first you don't succeed - skydiving isn't for you!!

#11 02-07-10 17:28:57

DampDog
Verified Member

You could try a Kia Cee'd! If it's good enough for the "Stig" it's good enough for anyone... big_smile big_smile big_smile

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#12 03-07-10 21:07:43

hector
Verified Member
Website

German everytime- Just look how good they are at footie

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#13 05-07-10 17:43:18

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Well this is day 11 of my ordeal.  Suzuki UK still dont have my parts in stock and will now have to source the parts from Europe.  I have sent an email to Stephen Nolan of the BBC, trying to gain some kind of negative publicity for Suzuki through this.

#14 09-07-10 12:10:38

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Yes, the ordeal isnt finished yet.  Ive been out of work for over 2 weeks now !  My pupils are probably going to go elsewhere and I really don't know what to do from here. Ive had no success on trying to hire a dual controlled car from other local schools.  Ive sent the following email to BBC radio Ulster and our main man Stephen Nolan.
I am not normally the kind of person who complains about anything and am very quiet in nature however my patience has been tested to the highest degree over the past 2 weeks.

I am a driving instructor and my car is my livelihood.  Quite simply I cannot make money without a car. I am quite simply at my wits end and growing more and more depressed and stressed out by the day.

On Thursday 24th June 2010, I took my car to SMW Belfast as the car was sluggish and I knew something was badly wrong.  I cancelled my lessons for the next day as up until this time SMW Belfast have been wonderful and have got my car sorted for me super quick when anything has gone wrong with it.

Initially when My car went in I was told the the Air Pressure sensors and the diesel particulate filter needed replaced and that the parts for this would not be in until the next Tuesday 29th June 2010.  SMW assured me that they would get these fitted for me and the car would be ready for me on Tuesday 29th June 2010 for me to start my lessons with pupils again the next morning.  I updated my pupils with this news and was glad to have a date and time in my head for this to be sorted and for me to be back on the road.

I rang SMW on 29th June 2010 and was informed that there were more complications upon their further inspection and that in fact the car needed a  new inlet manifold and the diseil particulate filter was clogged.  This work would of cost over £1000 and SMW were waiting to hear if Suzuki would cover this on warranty and also whether I would receive compensation for my business being out of action for so long.  I called into SMW on the 30th June 2010 in the afternoon and spoke to the mechanic himself who showed me the state of the engine.  The mechanic at this stage was also tearing his hair out over this problem as they had sent email upon email to suzuki and received no reply regarding timescale for receiving the parts needed and also whether they even had these parts in stock.  I had to send another apologetic communication to all my pupils at this stage one of which had booked a driving test and would not be able to sit that test.

Once again I rang SMW on 2nd July 2010 and I was basically told the same thing.  I rang SMW again today and as they had not had satisfactory answers from Suzuki they gave me the number for Suzuki Customer Services and advised me to call to "attack them from both sides to speed up the process".  When I rang Suzuki Customer Care I was told that the parts needed to fix my car are not even in stock anywhere with the UK and that they would need to be sourced somewhere in Europe.  They still could not give me a timescale within which this would happen and they said they would contact me tomorrow to update me on the progress or lack of.  I told them that I was unhappy with the length of time that this was taking and that I had been out of work for this time.  The Customer Care Agent was quite quick to advise me that the Warranty Terms and Conditions state that no loss of earnings will be covered by them at any time for delays in fixing cars.

I am at my wits end.  I feel that suzuki do not care that my business is suffering as a result and pupils may go elsewhere.  This could potentially put my business under in this economic climate as it is my business that is earning the name of being unreliable.

It is not the first time I have had problems with Suzuki as previously I bought a car for driving instruction from Philip Petersen in Bangor, and the wrong Dual Controls were fitted to this car which caused it to be unsafe.  I at this stage bought another car from SMW as their service was far superior to that of the first garage.  I have had no problems with SMW and cannot praise the garage enough but it seems that both I and SMW seem to be having the same problems with Suzuki.  Communication needs to be better and I need my car back ASAP and would like some form of good will gesture from them regarding my loss of earnings.

Yesterday I rang Suzuki UK customer services to get an update and was told that the intake manifold was still not in stock from the parts department and were trying to source one in France.  The other parts have had to come from Japan. 

This is just gone too far now.

#15 09-07-10 20:01:34

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jonny. Can you not hire a D/C car from the mainland?
My new Polo is off the road too. Its got a an EPC warning light coming on; this puts the car into 'limp mode' eventually this triggers the engine management light. Sometimes when the engine has been turned off it resets itself. My VW dealers have not found the cause yet. They have had the car since yesterday PM at that time I cancelled Thursday pm lessons. I was taking this morning off, VW informed me at 10.40am the car could not be fixed today. Yesterday I had contacted GO INTSRUCT checking availability. So it was off to Ormskirk to get a Fiesta, my Dad [86] drove me there. So my first client started 45mins late. But I'm back up and running. VW have told me to keep all receipts and they will re-inburse me in due course.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#16 09-07-10 20:59:37

nay7272

My suzuki swift is being replaced by a renault clio as  the engine is making a knocking noise at 42,000 miles so am getting rid, although my clio doesn't arrive till the 23/August. I was looking at a hyundai but unfortunatley the garage didn't have a car to  test drive

Board footer