You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 31-05-10 09:34:18

nay7272

reverse parking

I have always teached my way of doing the reverse park behind a car. I now have a pupil who wants to learn the way there old instructor taught them. I am trying to get the hang of it but am struggling to get reference points there old instructor taught them to go back so the car is level with the target car and then full right lock till just after 45 degrees then stop check around and full left lock the problem is my pupil is either to near (hit the kerb) or to far away.

Thanks
Nay

31-05-10 09:34:18

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: reverse parking

#2 31-05-10 16:24:34

Carbeck
Verified Member
Website

Hi Nay,

I use a similar method where i get the learner to reverse in a straight line and position our car where the end of the target car is half way along the rear passenger window, when at this point full lock left is applied.

We then reverse back until the passenger door mirror lines up with the rear of the target car (as if there was an imaginary line extending into the road from the back bumper of target car), when the kerb appears to cut into the rear passenger wheel arch OR the passenger door handle appears to be sitting on the kerb line - full lock right is now applied.

As the car begins to straighten, 1 and a half turns to the left is applied to straighten the wheels.

The part in bold may be of help of you.

The above is only a simplified version of the method i use, but hopefully gives you a better picture of the method your pupil may have been taught previously.

As with all manoeuvres, easier to explain in person than in words, so hopefully the above method makes sense to you - it works everytime i use it.

Regards,
Carbeck

#3 31-05-10 19:41:20

nay7272

thanks for your help  big_smile

#4 31-05-10 23:14:51

Adi1234

Another Tip I can offer is To try and get the pupil to create there own sense of judgement based on left door mirror. That gives a clear view of how far the kerb is away in a relation to the car of they can master that they will be able to easily adapt that to be able to do it in whatever car they drive. Obviously all round observations are important and the mirror cannot be relied on for safety.

#5 01-06-10 09:43:47

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Nay.

It is often a good idea to be able to offer several different methods of doing any manouevre. Not all clients are willing to change what they already do, or to be able to carry out a succsful manouevre using 1 particular method.

Take half an hour practice yourself using his method and work out what you would do once you have applied the steering he does to turn the rear of the car towards the kerb. Analyse what you are doing, what you are seeing and the results. Try to understand how to do the whole thing  from the drivers seat, including any adjustments you need to do, why and when.

#6 01-06-10 11:13:44

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

When I get a new pupil from another instructor.  I let them try the manouvers in my car using their own judgement initially, then I help tweak their own method.

9 times out of ten I'm asked why I don't have about 25 mirrors (exaggeration) on my car to help with parking etc...I tell them that they probably wouldn't want 25 mirrors on their car when they pass their test.

#7 01-06-10 19:18:27

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

All cars should come with match sticks sellotaped into the back and side windows, that's how I was taught. Once the kerb hits the match stick, full right lock. Genius.

PS : I do not use match sticks.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#8 01-06-10 21:17:59

ExAdiNigel

You can just imagine it can't you?  Every car dealer offering a free box of matches with every car!  big_smile

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#9 11-06-10 12:40:17

BusterMurphy

The reverse parking was not a requirement when I passed my test but similar to the matchstick scenario, my instructor had an unobtrusive "Green Shield Stamp" stuck on the rear window which lined up perfectly with the kerb for perfect reversing round a corner  big_smile

#10 11-06-10 14:54:32

ExAdiNigel

That was useful, did he then leave you his address so you could pop round every time you changed your car so he could put a sticker in for you?

Seriously though, it is far better to help the pupil to develop the skill to establish their own reference points.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#11 11-06-10 16:09:03

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

If you have a Mazda 3 it has electric mirrors. When reversing lower the nearside mirror and you can clearly see the kerb.

If two cars are level back to back they cannot contact however much you turn the wheel. Cars don't jump sideways whatever the salesman told you ! IMO the easiest rev. pk method is 1 full turn towards the pavement ( stop and observe first ) till 45 degrees 40-50 works fine. then 1 turn back. stop and look all around the car. look in mirror and back up till scarily close to the kerb. Then FULL lock fast away from pavement and stop when straight. Do NOT straighten the wheels , as the examiner is now going to ask you to drive on , and you will exit the space on exactly the same angle you entered it.Move off as slowly as you reversed so you don't leap across the road. At my local TC , the examiners were happy to lower the mirror for the pupils manually before I got the electric ones. Very user friendly !

#12 11-06-10 18:44:47

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Sorry but what is  a Green Shield Stamp? ;-)

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#13 11-06-10 19:24:57

triplea35

Similar to Embasy coupons!!  big_smile

#14 11-06-10 22:23:39

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

like pink stamps only green

#15 18-01-11 22:10:06

HewittsDriving
Website

I have tried to teach my self many ways to teach each manoeuvre . I now teach the parallel park like this.. Pull along side car, and stop when back end of car is in the back passenger window. Stop and then into reverse, look from right blind spot round anti clockwise to back window, as you are looking round take a note of something that you can see in-between the car and drivers soot mirror, remember that .. Once start moving back one full turn of wheel and keep going back till the thing you chose is directly over the centre of your steering wheel ( this will give you a one o'clock position) then take that one turn off. Now go back until the road disappears from your passenger mirror then one full turn to your right, once you are parallel to curb you can take that one turn back off, then stop.. The great thing about this way is that if they see that they are too far from curb get thenm to straighten wheels and go back a bit further, this method brings you in shallow so it's very difficult to hit the curb.
Hope this helps

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

#16 19-02-13 23:20:04

Saint_Albans_ADI
Website

Try this one

Start along side the car with the front of your car just past the front of the parked car
Select reverse straight away
Look all around the car left shoulder and right and the road ahead
As soon as the car moves steer 1/2 turn in towards the kerb
Look over right shoulder again
Drive back slowly no need to do any further steering and you will have lots of time to focus on what's important keeping a slow car and looking all around
When your car reaches about 45 degrees we all know how to find this reference point it might be worth making the wheels straight
Drive back with straight wheels towards the kerb when close to kerb (you can glance to mirror to see gap ) when it's  time to steer out away from the kerb 1 turn should do it but if you need more then you will have extra steering available if needed
Straighten up the car to the kerb.
I like to finish with straight wheels so take off any steering this will be either 1 turn or 1.5 turns whatever you put on

Badda bing badda boom !

Driving Lessons in and around Saint Albans Hertfordshire
www.i-passed.co.uk

#17 19-02-13 23:21:10

Saint_Albans_ADI
Website

I am the official post resurrector

tongue

Driving Lessons in and around Saint Albans Hertfordshire
www.i-passed.co.uk

Board footer