You are not logged in.

#1 11-06-10 12:06:37

BusterMurphy

Official definition of a Dual Carriageway please.

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere and I just can't find it. I am just embarking on the route to becoming an ADI and met with my Instructor for the first time yesterday. During part of my 2 hour assessment we were travelling along a stretch of road that had a single lane in each direction separated by a central reservation (mound of earth with trees on). He asked me what the speed limit was and I said that it was 70 (being the NSL for a car on a dual carriageway) he told me that it was not a dual carriageway as there was only one lane in each direction and therefore the limit was 60.
I have spent all morning trying to get a definitive answer with no luck. I would really like to be able to go back to him and prove that I have done my homework by giving him an official (DSA, Highway Code, Road Traffic Act etc.) type answer.

PLEASE HELP!

11-06-10 12:06:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Official definition of a Dual Carriageway please.

#2 11-06-10 12:44:56

driverpete
Verified Member

The number of lanes in each direction is irrelevant. A dual carriageway is a road where opposing traffic flows are separated by a physical barrier whether it's a metal crash barrier, a concrete strip or just a mound of earth with trees on it (if you like, anything that would stop a ball rolling from one side of the road to the other). There are single lane dual carriageways and there are multi lane single carriageways.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#3 11-06-10 12:48:22

BusterMurphy

This is what I believe. However can anyone point me to something official?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 11-06-10 12:49:12

martin_t
Verified Member

Sadly, your trainer is wrong.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr … /DG_070308

The bald definition after rule 136 is it in a nutshell.

#5 11-06-10 12:51:37

BusterMurphy

The confusion seems to arise because the highway code then goes on to discuss 2 and 3 lane dual carriageways but never single lanes.

#6 11-06-10 14:42:22

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
I wouldn't go back to him.

Hope you haven't paid up front, unless he works for a large group where you could make a complaint about your trainer's lack of knowledge, and ask for a proper trainer.

#7 11-06-10 14:52:36

ExAdiNigel

^^^^^^^^
Wot he said!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#8 11-06-10 22:43:00

Adi1234

Everyone is Very critical Of the trainer. And suggests Choosing another one. From The scenario described it does sound that the trainer is incorrect of the rules of the road. But Surely we cannot judge the trainer on one situation and one possible lack of knowledge situation. Any way Good luck with Your future Training It is good that You are questioning him rather than just accepting what he said that attitude will help You with part three  Training Good luck with Your next Session Buster. Keep us informed How it Is going.

#9 11-06-10 23:52:08

KevB
Verified Member
Website

The LEGAL definition as laid down in the Interpretations of meanings for Traffic Signs and General directions regulations 2002

""central reservation" means -

(a) any land between the carriageways of a road comprising two carriageways; or

(b) any permanent work (other than a traffic island) in the carriageway of a road,

which separates the carriageway or, as the case may be, the part of the carriageway which is to be used by traffic moving in one direction from the carriageway or part of the carriageway which is to be used (whether at all times or at particular times only) by traffic moving in the other direction; "
and

""dual carriageway road" means a road which comprises a central reservation and "all-purpose dual carriageway road" means a dual carriageway road which is not a motorway; "

Number of lanes to a carriagway has no bearing on the classification of the carriageway. There are plenty of examples of multi laned, single carriageways around the country, and several examples of single laned, dual carriageways too.

#10 13-06-10 06:34:44

casper

To be honest i thought two lanes in one direction was the definition of duel, so glad to of had my knowledge corrected. Using that definition i have to say that i have not come accross many single lane duel carraigeways that i wuold encourage driving at 70 on

pt1 pass 1st time 98% 60 23/9/09
pt2 passed 2nd time 6faults 9/3/10
pt3 passed 3rd time 4/4 jan 2011

Board footer