You are not logged in.

#1 10-01-10 19:08:00

Bashy

Ref point for reverse park in new shape Fiesta

Hi all,

I bought a new shape fiesta in September and love it...the only thing I'm struggling with is a reference point for the reverse park.
I need a reference point for once you hit the 45 degree angle. I've tried everything...the normal ref points that could use in most cars out the rear window don;t apply as the rear window is a bit pants.

Any help much appreciated as I have my Part 3 1st attempt this Wednesday ;-)

Cheers

10-01-10 19:08:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Ref point for reverse park in new shape Fiesta

#2 10-01-10 19:39:50

Aspyre

What reference point are you talking about??

Everyone does it differently - some for exactly the reason you have discovered.. 45 degrees is 45 degrees......... if you mean how do you know its 45 degrees you just look for half way between straight ahead and straight to one side.

If you mean some thing else you need to explain what method you are using.

You need to be a bit more flexible in your approach as well...... what if the SE decides he can't understand your method??

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 10-01-10 21:14:49

Madhatter
Verified Member

Slightly nervous about giving part 3 advice because it's a bit out of my league so take with a pinch of salt:

My trainer (who was quite right by the way) told me that the SE where I took my part 3 hated being told what the reference points were, he wanted to work it out for himself. Actually I think he's quite right so I do in real life what I did then, I got to 45 and asked him to stop and said "this is 45, the time that I want you to start steering back, have a look around is there anything that would help you to remember what this position feels like next time?"

Be on your guard - if they say something like - "Yes, that bird on the fence is in line with my door mirror" or "my wheel is on that leaf" or something then you will need to Q&A a bit!

If they find their own reference points they are more likely to remember them.

I personally normally look for the passenger wing mirror to point at the right brake light of the target car, but the probelm with that is that it relies on you being the right distance away from the target car and going the right distance back so not 100% reliable. Another way to do it is as Aspyre suggests above look for something out of your window halfway between 0 and 90 before you start to reverse and go round until your passenger light points at that - again... be careful they will reverse looking forward at the ref. point so get them to stop when they think they're almost there then check.
Tim

Tim Moran - ADI Cornwall - www.timmoranschoolofmotoring.co.uk

#4 07-06-10 18:27:45

peakdrivertraining
Website

why do adi's have an obsession with reference points its not teaching someone to drive to give them a reference point, the best advice i could give you is to teach students and the examiner to judge for themselves where the car is going to go by pausing every meter or so and checking where the back wheel is in relation to the curb, it also forces them to do observations and makes the whole manoever much easier as they do not rush it.

Also looks really good to the examiner on your part 3 (u'll get a 6 for control of lesson easy) and means that when you progress from full talk through you have some easy points for q&a (for example what are you going to do with the steering wheel after you have stopped next, or at what point are you next going to stop)

#5 08-06-10 22:17:21

Aspyre

Everyone uses reference points - even when they insist they don't.

You know when you're near the kerb because you can see it and you assess it - you are referencing it with what you know. Like it or not you are using a reference point method - you just don't think about it because you can do it after years of practice.

Learners don't have the experience to judge and to start with a specific reference point can help them. It is just putting into words what comes later as instinct.

It is common for a pupil who has been struggling to say/claim that they had previously been left to try it by trial and error. Whatever they mean, it is clear they weren't getting on very well with it. A reference point can help many of those.

#6 09-06-10 12:00:50

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

If you mean when the point at which to swing the front end into the space, try doing this when the offside edge of the subject vehicles lights is visible in the nearside bottom corner of the drivers windscreen (where the tax disc is), doing this ensured that adequate clearance is allowed between the vehicles and an accurate parking distance from the kerb is achieved.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

Board footer