You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 07-06-10 16:03:57

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Tax (mileage allowance queries)

Hello all,

Thanks to the fantastic advice on here I'm switching over to mileage allowance. Got a couple of questions though.

I purchased my new car on 19/10/09. So on my 2009-2010 tax calculations I have included capital allowances (fuel, services, tax etc...) up to that date.
Then from 19/10/09 -> 5/4/10 I have not included any capital allowances relating to the car (except for dual controls and in car phone system).
What about insurance? I paid my insurance at £435.52 on the 22/9/09 - I can't pay it all off surely as it cannot be claimed from the purchase date of the new car running on the mileage allowance scheme. Do I calculate a percentage of the insurance, which I think would only be 1 months worth?

From 19/10/09 -> 5/4/10 I did 10,682 miles. I've calculated 10,000 miles at the 40p per mile rate and 682 miles at the 25p per mile rate giving me a total of £4,170.50 to pay off against my income. Does that sound correct?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

07-06-10 16:03:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Tax (mileage allowance queries)

#2 07-06-10 16:35:44

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

I didn't do the calculation, but the basis you've used is correct.

As far as insurance is concerned, pro rata the cost before you changed your car and then after that the mileage claim covers all costs including insurance.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

#3 07-06-10 19:00:22

jr
Verified Member

Hi robcooling,
If I were you I would check with the inland revenue or your accountant. I claim mileage and my understanding is that you can only change from one system to the other in the tax year you change your car and you either claim mileage or vehicle costs for the whole of that  tax year. You can not claim both in the same year. Bit like having 2 bites at the cherry. You will only be able to change back the next time you purchase another vehicle.

It could be that you send your tax return in and it is accepted but don't forget the inland revenue don't check each and every tax return. These things only come to light if they do a random investigation and if they find something in one years accounts they then go back several years. Believe me you don't want a tax investigation.

Regards

John   

#4 07-06-10 20:21:07

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Just noticed this line on the HMRC website :

"Taxpayers cannot claim the mileage allowance for private journeys, such as travel from home to work"

So what do we do about the journeying home at the start and end of lessons? Are we exempt from this due to the nature of the job? Or do I have to calculate the percentage of my 10,682 miles that was spent journeying to and from home and deduct it?

How does everyone else deal with this when using mileage allowance?

Rob

#5 07-06-10 20:29:26

Doug
Verified Member
Website

If you work from home, then you are not claiming travel to work, as you are already there. I walk to work every day, its about 20 feet to the car. big_smile

Doug

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 07-06-10 21:13:59

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

Hello all,

Thanks to the fantastic advice on here I'm switching over to mileage allowance. Got a couple of questions though.

I purchased my new car on 19/10/09. So on my 2009-2010 tax calculations I have included capital allowances (fuel, services, tax etc...) up to that date.

Rob

Hi
As previously mentioned by JR you cannot change methods of calculation during your ownership of any car so as you have started to claim the capital writedown route you will have to continue with this until you change your car.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but better than come a cropper with the tax man..
Sue

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 07-06-10 21:55:01

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

As previously mentioned by JR you cannot change methods of calculation during your ownership of any car so as you have started to claim the capital writedown route you will have to continue with this until you change your car.

I understand all that, the old car was sold on 19/10/09. I finished capital writedown method on the same date and began mileage allowance on the new car from the day I first started using it (20/10/09).

JR was saying that I cannot switch methods half way through the year, but how can this be avoided? The HMRC website states that if you start the new car on capital tax allowance it cannot be switched again until the car is sold. So surely that means ending one method on the sale date of the old car, thus starting new method on the date of purchase of the new car - so half the year will be on capital tax (old car) and the other half on mileage allowance (new car).

The only way to avoid this would be to sell the old car on the last day of the tax year (5th April) and purchase the new car on the first day of new tax year (6th April) thus only using one method for each year.

Has anyone else gone through the transition of switching from capital tax allowance to mileage allowance?

PS : I am finding this all very helpful, thankyou for your replies.  smile

Rob

#8 07-06-10 22:31:49

jr
Verified Member

Hi robcooling,
I changed from  capital tax allowance to mileage allowance some years ago on the advice of my accountant. In the year I changed my car and taking into account yearly mileage, how many years I normally keep the car etc advised me that in the long run I would be better off the mileage way.

In the year I changed my car the whole of the tax for that year was worked out the mileage way.   It doesn't matter at what point in the tax year you change the car. At the end of the tax year you decide which form of allowance to use for the whole year.(only if you have changed your car in that year)  You can't have a mixture of the two. I change my car every three years.

Ring your local tax office and they will tell you exactly what you can or can't do. You will find them quite helpful and friendly.

Regards

John

#9 08-06-10 15:17:54

Den

Regarding jr's post,  the car needs to be changed at the beginning of the tax year to get maximum benefit from the mileage allowance.
Den

#10 10-06-10 09:03:50

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Ring your local tax office and they will tell you exactly what you can or can't do. You will find them quite helpful and friendly.

Just rang the tax office and grilled them with lots and lots of questions. The nice tax man said to pro-rata insurance bill up to the date of the sale of the car, then as of that date switch to mileage allowance for the remainder of the year.

So you run capital allowance up to the last date of the sale of the old car, switching to mileage allowance the date of the purchase of the new car. Which means you do have both methods running in the same year, but not overlapping.

Cool, glad to have that one sorted.  smile

Rob

#11 10-06-10 15:35:08

jr
Verified Member

Brilliant news robcooling. Sorry I appear to
have given you some misinformation. I don't
worky tax out, leave that up to the accountant.

Is the first 10,000 miles pro rata or can you
claim the whole of the 10,000 at 40p per mile?

Regards

john

#12 10-06-10 21:43:08

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Is the first 10,000 miles pro rata or can you
claim the whole of the 10,000 at 40p per mile?

1st 10,000 miles at 40p, doesn't have to be pro-rata.

Sorry I appear to
have given you some misinformation.

Don't be daft, I found your advice helpful and it gave me food for thought! I look forward to many happy years on mileage allowance now...   big_smile

Rob

Board footer