You are not logged in.

#1 04-06-10 15:54:35

triplea35

Warranties

Hi
Can anyone confirm what the current situatiion is with regard to warranties if you do not have the car serviced by a franchised dealer.
I seem to recall reading some years ago that that as long as  the car had been correctly serviced and documented the warranty had to be honoured. Has anyone experience of this? At the time my car was well out of warranty so havent given it much attention.
As soon as my last Mazda was out of warranty I found a very good local MOT testing garage for servicing which has been excellent for the last 7 years. I have never had a problem with the car throughout its life other than normal wear and tear relacements.
I have just bought a new Mazda 2 which i intend to use for instruction when(if!) I pass my Part 3.The standard warranty is for 3 years. I have found the service from the dealership horrendous sorting out  a few minor warranty issues.
So I'm just wondering if its viable to abandon the dealership asap and go back to my local garage for general servicing and what sort of 'problems' I would encounter if I had to return the car to the dealership for major warranty work such as gearbox/clutch etc.

04-06-10 15:54:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Warranties

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 04-06-10 18:40:29

driver69

The law was changed so you do not need to go to a franchised dealer. However the grage you use must be VAT registered as far as I am aware. You do not even have to use genuine parts but they must be of equal quality, mind you I do use genuine parts to avoid any possible get out by them.

I had my Suzuki serviced by my own garage and had it in under warranty 3 times with no problem, I was asked who serviced it and I just told them it was a VAT registered garage and they said no problem. Same with my previous Fiesta,it needed engine dismantled under warranty and had never been serviced by Ford in its 55K miles.

Here is a quote from theaa.com website:

Do I have to get my car serviced by a main dealer?
The European regulations governing the sale and after-sales servicing of new cars changed in October 2003. For new cars purchased after that date you are no longer obliged during the warranty period to get the car serviced by a franchise dealer.

You must however continue to get the car serviced according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule and criteria using only manufacturer approved parts.

The legislation only applies to the part of the warranty offered by the manufacturer, i.e. insurance-backed extended warranties offered by dealers are not covered.
If you do have the car serviced outside the dealer network it is essential that it's done to the maker's recommended schedule and criteria using approved parts. You must also keep records to enable you to demonstrate to the manufacturer that servicing was undertaken to their requirements. 

Warranty work should still be undertaken by the franchised dealer as it is easier for them to deal directly with the manufacturer.

There's more information in the consumer advice section of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) website, www.smmt.co.uk.

#3 05-06-10 12:04:50

triplea35

Thanks for that. I think it has given me  the confidence to give up on the dealership and just go to my local garage for the 1st and subsequent services.

Board footer