You are not logged in.

#1 26-05-10 07:28:48

colin166
Verified Member

First Check Test Result.

Just had my first check test and quite suprised and very pleased to have got a 5.

Here is my write up that hopefully might help any new ADI's that are dreading the day as I know I was:

Hardly got over scraping through 3rd attempt at part 3 with a 4/4 when the letter arrived for 1st check test.
I couldn’t make my mind up how to tackle it until about 10 days ago.
Decided to take a 17 year old novice pupil that had only done 4 hours with me and was learning really fast having covered left and right turns, T-junctions and crossroads, so for the check test I decided to cover meeting, anticipation and planning.

I asked my previous part 3 trainer about extra training and she said she didn’t think I needed training and just gave me loads of advice on how to go about it and to just give a normal lesson so this is how it went.

Picked up pupil and drove the 15 miles to test centre and that’s when the nerves started to kick in.
Got there with half an hour to spare so decided to let the pupil have a 20 minute drive but just gave him minimal instruction saving any faults for later.

Examiner came down on time and greeted me, he is a nice bloke and I knew him because he did my part 2 and final part 3.
Took me out into the car park for a chat because waiting room was full of ADIs.
Asked me about pupils experience and what my lesson and plan was then he gave me loads of advice about the test emphasising that I should not be afraid of changing the lesson plan if necessary and to correct ALL faults that occur and to prioritise them if there were too many at a time.

Also asked about the route and if I was familiar with the area so I told him that I had an area that I was going to use not far from the test centre but no particular route, he said that would be fine and if I needed any help with directions I only had to ask.

Off we go to the car to get started and he introduces himself to the pupil and he assures the pupil that he is just coming along for the ride and it was to just be a normal lesson.

I used Q and A to recap last 2 lessons and link to this lesson using mspsl but pupil was looking nervous and could not remember what that meant so I told him that was OK because he was going through the routine well enough and filled in the gaps for him and asked if he had any questions about what we have done so far and he said no. Got 5 for the recap at start.

Set aims and objectives for doing meeting etc and told him that because we only have 3 crossroads in our own area we might take advantage of this area and incorporate some more crossroads into this lesson to expand on last week if we had time. Got a 6 for that.

Started doing a briefing for meeting and all the part 3 nerves came back, my mouth dried like sponge and the words would not come out but I carried on.

Time to go now but tell pupil about extra weight in car and that I would help with the 2 busy junctions we had to cross and 1 roundabout and anything else that we have not covered yet.

Got him to the chosen area only to realise that in the briefing that I had practised for a week to get spot on I had completely missed out the page with cars parked on both sides of the road and all the info that goes with it, that’s blown it I thought but I tried to explain things as we went along while doing a through talk through as well.

Next thing I know I am using Q & A when I should still be giving instruction, what is the matter with me? That is it I thought, I have blown it now so I might just as well carry on with the lesson and forget about it being a check test and I will just have to come back again in a few weeks.

Then suddenly faults not relating to the lesson are appearing, releasing brake to change gear on approach to turns, too wide on corners and too far from curb and parked cars so fixed all them then took him through a series of crossroads as promised and then back to test centre.

Back at test centre I ask pupil what he has learned and he started to reel off all sorts of things he has learnt except for meeting so I asked about meeting and he says “oh yeah, that as well, I know how to deal with meeting traffic”, I dug a bit deeper and got him to talk a bit more about meeting and then ended the lesson. Got 5 for recap at end.

SE then thanks the pupil and wishes him good luck with his driving and then invites me to a quiet part of the car park for a chat.

He asks me how I think I have done so I said not very good, preparing myself for the worst.

He said, no, that was a really good lesson and I think you are doing really well. All of your core comps were good.

He asked: did you have control of the lesson? Yes.
Did you have control of the pupil? Yes.
Was the lesson well planned? Yes and your pupil was getting the idea with meeting quickly.
He said he liked the recap at the beginning and especially liked the fact that I asked the pupil if he had any questions about the last lesson.
He said he felt I could have gone a little bit further with the remedial on the road positioning but there was another time when the pupil stalled when at a busy roundabout when my analysis and remedial action was spot and you have got a grade 5.

I mentioned that I missed out the page in the briefing and he said, thats OK if he didnot understand what you where teaching you could always stop and get the book out again and they can only take in so much info at a time anyway.

He then congratulated me on my efforts and asked me how I was getting on as an indi and how many pupils I had etc, shook my hand and said see you again in about 4 years.

I just could not believe it, I thought it was going to be an E but it was a 5, so I must be much better than I thought I was.
Got a 6 for fault identification, aims and objectives, planning of lesson, communication and attitude and approach to pupil.
Everything else was a 5.

I hope this helps other ADIs facing their first check test because I was really apprehensive and nervous about it and there is no need, just be yourself and give a normal lesson, take a pupil that you feel is going to let you showcase your skills so you can really show the examiner how you can fix faults.

26-05-10 07:28:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First Check Test Result.

#2 26-05-10 11:42:49

HARRYH
Verified Member

Brilliant result mate, well done!!! It's not a bad thing to be your own worst critic. Good luck for the future and keep up the good work.
big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 26-05-10 13:52:29

pdw1977
Website

Congratulations on getting a 5!

Still a Newbie so be nice!!

www.pwdriving.com

#4 26-05-10 16:17:21

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Thats a nice result Colin....Well Done mate.

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08
Part 3. Failed 1st attempt 17/3/09
Part 3. 2nd attempt Passed 01/05/09
1st Check Test Grade 6 31/3/10

#5 27-05-10 07:08:59

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Well done dude and great write up.

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#6 27-05-10 19:56:02

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Congrats on the result. It isn't haf as difficult as everyone makes out if you're well prepared.
4 years of relaxation now!!

#7 28-05-10 01:19:44

Adi1234

Well done good result there. some things for you to improve and then next ct will be grade 6.

#8 09-06-10 15:18:39

monty4395

Nice one and sure you will progress even further to a 6. Good write up to hopefully calm nerves of others.

#9 22-06-10 13:57:42

shamus
Website

Well done Colin and thanks for the write up. i got my first check test tommorrow i hope i get a result like yours.

www.morgandrivertraining.co.uk
Part 1- 14/11/08
Part 2-  30/1/09
Part 3-  11/2/10

#10 22-06-10 14:56:54

colin166
Verified Member

Good luck Shamus,
treat it like a normal lesson but fix ALL faults and change your lesson plan if necceasary.

#11 08-08-10 02:59:37

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Great result colin, and brilliant write up. smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

Board footer