You are not logged in.

#1 11-05-10 16:00:35

julieb

My check test result write up

I unfortunately did not do too great and got an educational which means I have the joy of attending another check test within the next 12 wks!!! lol!!!  Although I must quickly reassure you that I was just having an extremely bad day, didn't perform well and that I totally agree with my examiners opinions who may I may I add was lovely, supportive and very informative and gave good advice for improvement.

My intention was to do a lesson on parallel park and left reverse as my pupil has done them both before but they needed fine tuning.   My recap was how great she was with her turn in the road in the last lesson and we talked about what made her turn in the road so successful, slow speed, fast steering, clutch control etc - got a 4 for recap.  Stated my aims and objectives which was by the end of the lesson to work on parallel park and get it more accurate with good obs etc and if time permitted then we would move on to reverse left exercise - got a 4 for that too.  Also got a 4 for recap at the end of the lesson.

Before we moved off I reminded my pupil that this is a normal lesson and to drive how she normally would as she is naturally a good driver, ask any questions etc and above all to try and ignore the examiner in the back as he is simply there to observe me.  Then explained that as there is an extra person in the back of the car it may alter the performance of the car so may need more gas when moving off etc....

Then on the move - missed a mirror check - asked if there was a reason why she didn't check it (she forgot), so we talked about the importance of checking mirrors, dangers if you don't etc and as a remedy I said your mirror work is usually very good and its out of character for you not to check so just think is it safe before you put a signal on and move over.  Examiner at the end said that I dealt with that well, so glad I did something right - lol!!!

Got my pupil to do a turn in the road just to give her a bit of confidence.  But this back fired on me - she controlled her speed nicely but was too slow with her steering so we did it in 6 shuffles rather than our usual 3 or 5 and accidentally very gently tapped the kerb.  I know its not ideal but I know they allow it on the driving test so said it's not ideal but as long as you just gently feel the kerb it shouldn't be a problem.  Examiner at the end said I should have said about if the tyres touch the kerb then the car might over lap pavement and there could have been pedestrians etc, which is a fair point.

After turn in the road we went on to the parallel park we ended up spending pretty much the rest of the lesson on this, as an hr before the test I checked my area I had planned and it looked like a great set up but finding a parallel park on my test that was safe, legal etc was a real challenge. When I did find some I just went to pot and couldn't teach it very well - I was so nervous and just didn't perform well.  I just felt all my planning was going wrong.  I did use a couple of places that weren't ideal (blocking drive ways) out of sheer desperation and explained that they weren't ideal but we wouldn't be long and would move on if we were causing a problem.  Needless to say that was frowned upon - as it's contradicting my teaching and confusing and mis leading my pupil (safe, legal etc).

It was soon time to return to the test centre - although I knew it wasn't going great the hour had flown by.  On way back my pupil was driving on a main road that had cross roads - she was just cruising through them so I said think back to our cross road lesson, what should we be doing? (her answer, slow down and check mirrors) so we discussed why ideally it would be mirrors first, why is it important to check mirrors and slow a little if necessary etc.  Then in traffic went to stop to close to car in front but quickly preempted her form doing so by asking what gap we should leave form car in front, and why its important to do so, she agreed with me that if I hadn't stepped in then she probably would have got to close as she just forgot - so remedy was i would prompt or reminder her next time and for her to start thinking about keeping space around the car and allowing for other roads users mistakes etc...

Now back at test centre - examiner asked my pupil to wait in waiting room while he had a quick chat with me - so I quickly got her the magazine and drink I had got her from the boot and off she went.  This is where I got pulled up for all my errors.  Apparently and thinking back he is probably correct, I was at times to long winded in giving directions - e.g - after the bridge there is a turning on the left can you turn left please? He said this was not giving the pupil enough time to do the mspsl routine.  Also didn't give a good remedy for her leaving her signal on twice as I just reminded her to turn it off. Should have suggested listening for the clicking sound and looking for flashing interior indicator light - I guess it makes sense.  Problem with my parallel park was I wasn't helping her enough and she kept getting too close to the kerb so she had to re - position.

So not the best check test write up on here and definitely not one of the success stories but I have learnt alot from it and survived it.  I would be lying if I said I was looking forward to the next check test but over all it was not bad really - the hour just flew by and there were some positives to my methods of teaching.  Above all please take on board - the examiners are really nice and friendly - they are there to support you and help you improve so you can provide a good service for your pupils.

Although it wasn't recommended I am intending to take more training and am really going to work on the areas high lighted to me.  I worked really hard to get through adi tests 1,2and3 so I am not going to give up now.

Attitude and approach to pupil - 5
Communication - 5 (but hey I am a woman I can talk for Britain so thats nothing to be proud of! lol!!!!)

Good luck for any one with a check test coming up.

Julie.

11-05-10 16:00:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My check test result write up

#2 11-05-10 17:16:29

The Saint
Verified Member

Excellent write up Julie, I'm sure I couldn't have remembered that in so much detail. Sounds like there were a lot of positives to take from it.

I know what you mean about losing the plot half way round. We sometimes forget our own advice to learners about keeping focused when things don't go to plan.

The bit about parking next to a driveway is interesting. Our DE's are OK about doing it on test, they just remind the pupil about only doing it for test purposes.

Good Luck for the next test.

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#3 11-05-10 20:33:59

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Thanks for the write up Julie.

I would like to repeat what the saint said about parking in front of a driveway, the examiners around here do it all the time cos they aren't gonna stop there. One rule for one, one for another springs to mind. One of my pupils failed their test as the back wheel had just about mounted the drop down kerb of a driveway. Plonker! big_smile

Thanks again.

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#4 13-05-10 13:14:03

julieb

Thank you for your replies and for wishing me luck with my next check test - i will do a write up on that one too.  hopefully it will be more of a success story. I agree that it does seem like one rule for one and another rule for another - but it's certainly an eye opener as to how they think and what they want and expect so I certainly won't be doing it again!!!! lol!!!!  Thank you again, julie.   

#5 23-05-10 16:48:21

looprevil
Verified Member

Parking across someones drive isn't so much of an issue on a driver test as an examiner may have limited opportunities to select an appropriate place on that route at that time. Candidates should be given an explanation that it isn't an issue on that occasion for the purpose of testing.

This is slightly different to selecting such a place when in a teaching mode where there is less restriction on choices and the ADI is being tested on their lesson planning.

I think your post demonstrates how you are learning from the experience and putting those experiences and the advice from the examiner into context for your development. That can only be a good thing. smile

Best wishes for success on your next test.

regards

Paddy

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 23-05-10 20:09:43

Dux
Verified Member
Website

Great write up Julia, plenty of positives to take from the first one, only my opinion this but you may have been a bit ambitious to try two manoeuvres, might have been worth  a re-do of the Turn in the road, and leave it at that, change your objectives for the lesson on the spot.

It's easy to say after the event though, I should know, on mine I was doing crossing traffic with my pupil, she messed up the first one, pulled her over and had a chat about it, we went back around to do it again, I was late with my directions and we ended up doing a right a traffic lights instead, this brought my mark down as the SE, quite rightly, said they were two different things you were trying there, I pulled it back by doing two more towards the end of the lesson but the damage had been done by then.

I can only put it down to nerves and the fact that I knew he was in the back looking over my shoulder, not the best feeling in the world is it? Good luck on your next one, I'm sure you'll be fine now you've had the experience, let us know how you get on.

Part 1 Passed April 07

Part 2 Passed June 07 3 Minors

Part 3 Delayed Success 05/12/07    3-3

Part 3 Passed 20/02/08      5-5

Diamond Advanced Driver 03/06/08

www.polepositiondrivertraining.co.uk

#7 24-05-10 07:12:49

julieb

Thank you very much for your replies and advice paddy and dux.  I agree I may have been a bit ambitious planning two manoeuvres into 1 lesson - just thought as we were recaping them and trying to make them more "perfect" it might be achievable - but you are right! I promise to keep you posted on my next one which is the end of july - so plenty of time to plan and get training. 

Once again many thanks for your replies, advice and support,

julie.

#8 24-05-10 08:15:22

Aspyre

Don't forget though that you don't appear to have been marked down for that.

#9 24-05-10 14:22:50

julieb

Again a very good point Aspyre!!!!

Board footer