You are not logged in.

#1 20-05-10 20:39:23

Evan
Administrator

Driving Instructor, still reckon its the best move I ever made.

Not sure if anyone else will agree, but I reckon this job is brilliant, I make a good living, I have to work long hours (just like lots of other people really). But what a nice way of meeting all different types of people and helping them achieve a skill that gives them opportunities to get a job, go to college or just extra freedom in their lives.

I know you get days when it can bring you down but all jobs have that downside, we should never forget the change we make in people's lives.

Be happy and enjoy it. Ev  wink big_smile

20-05-10 20:39:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving Instructor, still reckon its the best move I ever made.

#2 20-05-10 21:00:37

colin166
Verified Member

I could not agree more.

#3 20-05-10 21:11:22

mon
Verified Member
Website

I agree,I am only part time but the buzz I get of teaching a pupil this skill is unbelievable..
Mon

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 20-05-10 21:32:43

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

It's a great job, but i get worn out quick by it - so demanding! Love it though - always fun.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#5 21-05-10 05:06:12

Evan
Administrator

A random post to see how many instructors actually like the job they do out of 32 people viewing only myself and 3 others actually have something positive to say about our job.

Part of some research I am doing to see how negativity about the job, results in less lessons sold. After all if you are not happy with what you are doing I doubt anyone would want to be in the car with you.

Negativity about yourself, and your business, does not sell lessons and does not inspire people to want to learn with you, or more importantly tell their friends about you.

Its often the reason why some schools are busy and some are quiet.  wink

Just something to think about. Glad you other 3 are enjoying the job. Ev wink

#6 21-05-10 06:42:04

G
Verified Member
Website

Totally agree every job has good & bad times but with this one I am teaching people something they want to learn & if I am working evenings & weekends it is because I have booked them. I used to say to the serial complainers in my previous job, " if it is as bad a job as you keep telling everyone it is, why are you still doing it? If you hate it that much then leave!"
Nice to see someone positive for a change, come on you doom mongers your all being very quiet wink

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#7 21-05-10 16:10:46

la.monikita
Verified Member

Ha, Ha Ditto EV!

I have people coming to me from all over London wink

Best wishes Ev!

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#8 21-05-10 19:06:21

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Great post EV! 

I have to agree, although at the time I did it for selfish reasons - I wanted  to leave my dead end job and be self employed, now I am lucky to have a successful business with many happy clients and as a bonus my partner is now a part of the company doing the B+E training and all is well  smile  Best job in the world most of the time, but always have the odd week where nothing works well and you wonder what the hell you are doing  tongue

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 21-05-10 21:02:24

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

It's a great job, but i get worn out quick by it - so demanding! Love it though - always fun.

My sentiments too.

This is the first job I've done where I'm my own boss - even when I worked for a large training firm that did heavy vehicles & earthmoving equipment, I was mainly left to my own devices in my training car, I only felt restricted when I was out in the trucks.
They sent me to work on my own all over the Northern Territory so I travelled on expenses too.

Doing classroom training with high school students is an added bonus to a multifaceted job.
I've taken a lot of my students all the way through from road rules tuition in the home or classroom, to in-car training, to final test.

And, it's a job where being old is an advantage not a hindrance.
A lot of youngsters prefer a "cool instructor" not someone with their belt under their armpits instead of around their hips, but many pupils equate age with experience.
It's the sort of job which lets one carry on after normal retirement age (as long as you stay mentally fit which I still am, knock on wood. "Who's there?")

I love the high I get when someone passes the test, and when they show their gratitude to me it makes it even better.
(No gift wrapped bottles of whisky yet  :cry: but plenty of cards, and offers of slabs of beer)

The cons include occasional uncertainty of income, students wanting to go go to the test too soon, and HAVING TO DEAL WITH GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS, but the pros outweigh these enough to make the job worth doing.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#10 22-05-10 07:17:39

Evan
Administrator

I see the highs of this job are obviously when you get a pupil to pass their test, also the milestone achievements the pupil makes on the way to that test, which in itself is testimony to your ability to teach. The phone calls from parents to say thanks for your work, the odd gifts and cards you get along the way.

The other nice accolade you get, is the fact people take the time to give your name as a referral to their friends and family, this reflects on your ability as an instructor, and the trust they put in you and your business.

I think often in this job, it is easier to focus on the negative aspects, ie a pupil cancels or messes you about, so it becomes the focus of your attention, this feeling can easily effect your attitude for the rest of the day. There have been many threads on this forum with regards to the negative side of things, I have started and contributed to some myself.

By focussing on the other 99% of pupils who do not mess you about, and are totally reliable, you strike a far more positive and realistic view of things, this attitude then becomes evident in the car and also makes your ability to teach your other students more positive and effecive.

With regards to what Zipper mentions about being self employed, I think this is often the downfall for some people, if you lack discipline in your approach to your work, then it will suffer. The job demands long hours, the roads are getting more difficult to teach on , I would say that the many co-ordination problems that pupils have, seems to be increasing, this also gives you more work to do as an instructor, but ultimately improves your instructional techniques, making the job a bit more interesting.

All the downsides put aside, the job still has a good feel to it, you can and do earn good money if you market yourself properly, if you put maximum effort in, if you are prepared to go that extra mile for every pupil. Hard work but that is what running a business is all about.

Good luck with your business' and try to stay positive. Ev

#11 22-05-10 19:40:26

Evan
Administrator

Starting this thread was to find something out, it is now very evident that my suspicions were right.  wink

#12 23-05-10 16:57:12

looprevil
Verified Member

I enjoy the work I do tremendously. The flexibility to choose when and how you work are the biggest pluses for me. On top of that you help others to achieve their goals and aspirations which is a great feeling.

There are, as in anything in life, negative aspects. Seek and ye shall find, by focussing on where the positive is I find the negative pales into insignifance. This works for me.

regards

Paddy

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

#13 24-05-10 12:17:49

jay666
Website

I've been doing the job now about 8 months and can say i really love doing g it as well. Yes you do have those days where cancellations can get you down but on good days its great and never regretted my decision to get into this business. Money is pretty good too most weeks.

Jay

#14 25-05-10 07:23:04

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Every day is different, Every pupil is different.... Yes there are down days.... But the ups totally outway them

Do I love it  :?

No............... I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it!  big_smile

#15 25-05-10 08:17:15

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

On Sunday I did 3 lessons, all very stressful and by the end of it I was feeling burnt out!

On Monday I had 4 fantastic lessons with great pupils and quickly remembered how much I love the job!

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#16 26-05-10 07:58:24

jonsmithuk
Verified Member

Started in 1971. Still love it, but its embarrassing when people stop next to you at T/L s  and ask if you remember them .

Its a strange job, where people almost kill you ( well, attempt to ) every day , and you go home and laugh about another pupil who tried to turn right at the roundabout !

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 26-05-10 11:37:02

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

... Still love it, but its embarrassing when people stop next to you at T/L s  and ask if you remember them ...

It certainly is embarrassing.
I'm at the age where nephews who I once dandled on my knee, now pick me up and dandle me on THEIR lap.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#18 26-05-10 19:12:29

Evan
Administrator

It's good to see that some of you are still enjoying your jobs, I am sure your enthusiasm and your SOH's result in more phone calls from interested pupils.

Its a fact that if you enjoy your job its a lot easier to do it, and the pupils definitely respond more to an enthusiastic instructor who likes doing the job. Positive approach results in positive results.

As I say glad some of your are still enjoying being instructors.  wink  To those of you who are not enjoying it I am sorry that its not your cup of tea.

#19 28-06-10 07:52:20

Target
Verified Member
Website

Just seen this thread hidden in the trainers section.

Ive probably said this before, but my wife has had 4 new jobs in the last 2 years....I admire her resolve totally in how commited she becomes in finding a new job. It also reminds me of how lucky I am being self employed and avoiding all the buracy that surrounds PAYE.....For example. She needed to attend an interview for a 2 week tempting job as in input clerk. This appointment literally takes up the whole day. Based on her CV she could do the job with her eyes closed. It will then takes days for a reply, sometimes never hearing anything from anyone.

Like Rob I suffer from burn out....Its difficult working 12 hours a day 5/6 days a week. I do realise that could rub off on some of my lessons without a doubt, I try to just cancel something thats not important and take the rest bite, but again you cannot do that too often, but would rather cancel than fall asleep during the lesson.  roll

I try to stay professional and if I have problems at home, or personally keep that away from the car. Its not that often thou, as i live in a happy home. big_smile

Cannot complain about money as year on year ive increased my income since starting in 2003.

The biggest gesture for me in this job is knowing someone recommends me, its also a pleasure to see someone start Pass Plus or Advanced Driver training from passing their test.

Things can only get better!

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#20 28-06-10 08:36:57

Target
Verified Member
Website

Your comments thou reminded me of a call I had recently.

The person was looking to join my driving school.

When listening to the message, which I could hardly understand I just managed to read the tel number. It was unclear and very low in sound, like someone had just woken up and you call them.

Its probably instructors like this, and im not saying its their fault, but without an injection of LIFE! they are going to struggle.

Is there anyone on this forum like that?

Their trainer is happy because they took the 40 hours, but they will never be able to retain pupils and were probably convinced they could make it and theres a shortage of work out there.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#21 28-06-10 22:20:09

Target
Verified Member
Website

I thought id return to this thread.

Because today has been one of those days when you realise that the job is really worth getting up for a doing well.

2 test passess today...One with 12DF and one with 4 DF's....Both will probably do PP. I know one will for certain, as her £15k mini is not worth anything less.

I then had 2x2 hour lesson to follow and you know when you start the lesson you think to yourself, this is going to be a disaster from the start, but by the end of both they were driving really well in many different areas.

I come home 2nite and Ive had 2 special needs clients email me and one is willing to travel from Nottingham for my services, the other is some distance but also very keen.

It makes all the difference.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Board footer