You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-05-10 09:24:36

pdw1977
Website

Check Test in a couple of weeks

Hi all.

I have a check test on May 19th and have a pupil that is happy to do it.....thankfully! She has her test the following week so is a good standard driver.

I was going to cover metting traffic with anticipation as that is what I normally do before their test as it helps to brush up their general driving.

Are there any other subjects that you would suggest I cover when someone is test standard? I would have got another pupil, but thay are all at college at the time of th CT.

Cheers

Paul

Still a Newbie so be nice!!

www.pwdriving.com

03-05-10 09:24:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test in a couple of weeks

#2 05-05-10 09:51:17

julieb

Hi Paul,

Well done on getting a pupil to do it, and it's good that your planning ahead and not just leaving it to the last minute. Sounds like a good subject to revisit as there will be lots to talk about on the move. Got my 1st check test tommorow - will let you know how I get on and do a write up so that you can learn from any mistakes I make!!!!!! lol!!!! smile Julie.

#3 05-05-10 10:10:49

pdw1977
Website

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the reply and good luck with your CT tomorrow. I look forward to reading your write up smile

What are you going to be covering?

Paul

www.pwdriving.com

#4 07-05-10 17:59:18

julieb

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in reply.  I unfortunately did not do too great and got an educational which means I have the joy of attending another check test within the next 12 wks!!! lol!!!  Although I must quickly reassure you that I was just having an extremely bad day, didn't perform well and that I totally agree with my examiners opinions who may I may I add was lovely, supportive and very informative and gave good advice for improvement.

My intention was to do a lesson on parallel park and left reverse as my pupil has done them both before but they needed fine tuning.   My recap was how great she was with her turn in the road in the last lesson and we talked about what made her turn in the road so successful, slow speed, fast steering, clutch control etc - got a 4 for recap.  Stated my aims and objectives which was by the end of the lesson to work on parallel park and get it more accurate with good obs etc and if time permitted then we would move on to reverse left exercise - got a 4 for that too.  Also got a 4 for recap at the end of the lesson.

Before we moved off I reminded my pupil that this is a normal lesson and to drive how she normally would as she is naturally a good driver, ask any questions etc and above all to try and ignore the examiner in the back as he is simply there to observe me.  Then explained that as there is an extra person in the back of the car it may alter the performance of the car so may need more gas when moving off etc....

Then on the move - missed a mirror check - asked if there was a reason why she didn't check it (she forgot), so we talked about the importance of checking mirrors, dangers if you don't etc and as a remedy I said your mirror work is usually very good and its out of character for you not to check so just think is it safe before you put a signal on and move over.  Examiner at the end said that I dealt with that well, so glad I did something right - lol!!!

Got my pupil to do a turn in the road just to give her a bit of confidence.  But this back fired on me - she controlled her speed nicely but was too slow with her steering so we did it in 6 shuffles rather than our usual 3 or 5 and accidentally very gently tapped the kerb.  I know its not ideal but I know they allow it on the driving test so said it's not ideal but as long as you just gently feel the kerb it shouldn't be a problem.  Examiner at the end said I should have said about if the tyres touch the kerb then the car might over lap pavement and there could have been pedestrians etc, which is a fair point.

After turn in the road we went on to the parallel park we ended up spending pretty much the rest of the lesson on this, as an hr before the test I checked my area I had planned and it looked like a great set up but finding a parallel park on my test that was safe, legal etc was a real challenge. When I did find some I just went to pot and couldn't teach it very well - I was so nervous and just didn't perform well.  I just felt all my planning was going wrong.  I did use a couple of places that weren't ideal (blocking drive ways) out of sheer desperation and explained that they weren't ideal but we wouldn't be long and would move on if we were causing a problem.  Needless to say that was frowned upon - as it's contradicting my teaching and confusing and mis leading my pupil (safe, legal etc).

It was soon time to return to the test centre - although I knew it wasn't going great the hour had flown by.  On way back my pupil was driving on a main road that had cross roads - she was just cruising through them so I said think back to our cross road lesson, what should we be doing? (her answer, slow down and check mirrors) so we discussed why ideally it would be mirrors first, why is it important to check mirrors and slow a little if necessary etc.  Then in traffic went to stop to close to car in front but quickly preempted her form doing so by asking what gap we should leave form car in front, and why its important to do so, she agreed with me that if I hadn't stepped in then she probably would have got to close as she just forgot - so remedy was i would prompt or reminder her next time and for her to start thinking about keeping space around the car and allowing for other roads users mistakes etc...

Now back at test centre - examiner asked my pupil to wait in waiting room while he had a quick chat with me - so I quickly got her the magazine and drink I had got her from the boot and off she went.  This is where I got pulled up for all my errors.  Apparently and thinking back he is probably correct, I was at times to long winded in giving directions - e.g - after the bridge there is a turning on the left can you turn left please? He said this was not giving the pupil enough time to do the mspsl routine.  Also didn't give a good remedy for her leaving her signal on twice as I just reminded her to turn it off. Should have suggested listening for the clicking sound and looking for flashing interior indicator light - I guess it makes sense.  Problem with my parallel park was I wasn't helping her enough and she kept getting too close to the kerb so she had to re - position.

So not the best check test write up on here and definitely not one of the success stories but I have learnt alot from it and survived it.  I would be lying if I said I was looking forward to the next check test but over all it was not bad really - the hour just flew by and there were some positives to my methods of teaching.  Above all please take on board - the examiners are really nice and friendly - they are there to support you and help you improve so you can provide a good service for your pupils.

Although it wasn't recommended I am intending to take more training and am really going to work on the areas high lighted to me.  I worked really hard to get through adi tests 1,2and3 so I am not going to give up now.

Attitude and approach to pupil - 5
Communication - 5 (but hey I am a woman I can talk for Britain so thats nothing to be proud of! lol!!!!)

I wish you all the best in your check test Paul - I think you have chosen a great subject and think you will do great!!!!  Might even copy you for my next check test.  Please let me know how you get on and not that I did well but if you have any questions/ worries or concerns I am more than happy to try and answer them or reassure you if I can.  Take care, Julie.

p.s - sorry this is such a long reply.

#5 07-05-10 18:33:15

pdw1977
Website

Hi Julie,

I'm sorry that your CT didn't go as well as you had hoped. Sounds a bit like nerves got the better of you a little bit and you reverted back to the 'part 3' method so probably didn't relax......That is what I am worried about!!

Thanks for the superb write up though. I am sure I will read it a few more times before it is my turn!!

It is nice to hear that you liked the SE though and agreed with what they said. I was talking to an instructor at my local test centre the other day who said that he got a 3, then had a row with the SE as he totally disagreed wit the score!!

I have got a route roughly planned for mine, but I really don't want the test to look staged. I am not even going to tell my pupil what we are going to do until the SE gets in the car and I set the objectives. I really want to make it as 'real' a lesson as I can.

I wish you the best of luck with your next one smile

Paul

www.pwdriving.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 07-05-10 18:52:43

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

I am not even going to tell my pupil what we are going to do until the SE gets in the car and I set the objectives. I really want to make it as 'real' a lesson as I can.

Very good plan.

My first CT got marked down for exactly that, I'd told them what to expect on the drive to the TC and didn't put in anywhere near enough recap and intended lesson details before starting the lesson.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

#7 07-05-10 19:45:50

julieb

Thank you for your replies - I was and am very disappointed with my score but I take what the examiner said to me as constructive criticism and will work hard to improve. It's not nice to be assessed and then told a list of your errors but it's the examiners job and they do highlight your positive parts too.  You get a lot of people that disagree with the examiners - as it's not nice to be told your not quite up to scratch but like I've already said they are just doing their job and know exactly what standard they are looking for they do try to relax you as much as possible.

Glad you enjoyed my write up and hope it helps so that others don't make my mistakes.

I totally agree with you both - I didn't tell my pupil the objectives till the SE was in the car - mine was a natural lesson - think it would have been much worse if it was planned and a performance.  The only thing I planned was my route but next time I will be a lot more flexible and have a back up route. 

#8 13-05-10 17:13:20

pdw1977
Website

Well the pupil I had lined up for my CT can't do it anymore.....but luckilly one of my other pupils has kindly rearranged her day off so she can do it with me. I explained that it would be good experience to see the test centre, drive out of it and have an examiner sitting in the car......plus the fact that I would be giving her a free 2 hour lesson seemed to sell it to her big_smile

We have a lesson in a minute so she will have had 10 hours of tuition by the time of my CT.

I was planning to do the emergency stop for my CT now. Has anyone done that before?

Paul

www.pwdriving.com

#9 19-05-10 11:36:17

pdw1977
Website

Well here goes!.....wish me luck big_smile

www.pwdriving.com

#10 19-05-10 12:03:51

Bashy

probably a bit late...but good luck

#11 19-05-10 12:49:57

Aspyre

Half an hour before his actual check test is a real good time to bring that up lol

#12 19-05-10 13:18:21

julieb

Hope all went well - looking forward to your write up!!!  Sorry I didn't get back to you about emergency stop being a good topic - didn't really feel I was the best one to answer that after my check test result.  lol!!! smile

#13 19-05-10 15:18:50

pdw1977
Website

Well that was horrible!! yikes..........but I managed to get a grade 4! The SE was really nice and said that I would have got a 5, but I over instructed a couple of times when I didn't need to. We then had a really good chat afterwards where he went through his notes and pointed out where I could improve and what was good.

I say it was horrible because I fell to pieces....completely! I got all tounge tied, said the wrong thing at the wrong time etc...I don't know what happened?

My pupil was also a nervous wreck so I had to completely change the lesson plan 5 mins in to go back to doing junctions just to build her confidence up again. After we had done that we moved on to roundabouts which went ok until my pup seemed to forget how to stop yikes. Back to junctions again!!.......she was so nervous and I have never known her drive so badly!

Anyway the SE said that I had done the right thing by going back to basics and it showed that I was happy to change the lesson to suit the pupils needs on the day.

This is my result:

Juntions/Roundabouts

Fault identification    4
Fault analysis           4
Remedial action        4

Recap                      4
aims/objectives        5
Level of instruction    4
Planning                  4
control                     4
Communication         5
Q&A                        4
Feedback                 4
Use of controls         6
recap at end             5

attitude                   6

Pretty happy really, especially after I got an educational on my first one. Would have loved to have got a 5 or 6 but at least now I have a goal to aim for.

www.pwdriving.com

#14 19-05-10 16:09:40

VandADI
Administrator

Well done on getting a good result, you can relax now for a couple of years  wink
Keep on top of your skills and always strive to improve and you can't go far wrong.

#15 19-05-10 20:51:12

julieb

Thanks for your write up and very very well done!!!  You should be very proud of your self. Grade 4 is fab and it gives you something to work towards.  Enjoy your couple of years break from having a check test - I am glad that you also had a good experience with the examiner.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 20-05-10 07:21:02

pdw1977
Website

I am glad that you also had a good experience with the examiner

I can honestly say that I haven't got a bad word to say about him! smile

www.pwdriving.com

#17 20-05-10 09:35:49

Carlo
Verified Member

Congratulations on your grade pdw smile.  Bet your glad it is out of the way!

Out of interest, could you shed some light on your over instruction?  Was there any particular thing that he said about it?

"It's easy when you know how!"

#18 20-05-10 18:13:53

pdw1977
Website

He basically said that I wasn't giving her enough chance to do certain things on her own. Mainly mirrors. I kept prompting her to do it over and over again. Same thing but not as bad when she was catching it on the bite when approaching a turn on a hill. I would start to talk her through it, but she really didn't need me to....  roll

Not my usual style at all.................I just froze and panicked for some reason sad

www.pwdriving.com

#19 22-05-10 12:23:02

Carlo
Verified Member

Thanks for the extra info.  I once got marked down for doing similar sad.

"It's easy when you know how!"

Board footer