You are not logged in.

#1 09-03-10 12:04:40

Thisisme373

Thinking of becoming instructor

Just wondering if instructors/to be instructors could give me some advice, i am 23 now and am very interested in teaching to drive for my career i would have had my liscence 3 and a half years by feb 2011 so can start training right? my questions are i have red/green colour blindness but it doesn't affect my driving i can obviously see red and green easily but its the colour blind cards i cant see the numbers on them :x . My other 2 concerns are how much does it cost as a whole as im going to save up (my dads a driving instructor but not a very nice guy tbh lol he wont teach for free maybe a 10% discount if im lucky) also do you have to have a CRB check as i have a few cautions from my younger days when i was a bit stupid, thanks guys.

09-03-10 12:04:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Thinking of becoming instructor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 09-03-10 12:25:05

Aspyre

Yes, you need a CRB check - and don't spend any money until you know you are going to be accepted on the register.

Eyesight requirements are here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le … DG_4022529

You can do Part 1 for just a few tens of £££s.

For Part 2 and 3 assume you will be paying around £30 per hour (for the sake of argument).

Lets just assume you need to take 20 hours to get you ready for Part 2 and 50 hours for Part 3 - thats £2,100.

You have to pay for exams.... fees here:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac … 1082073861

So just over £300 for one go at all three.

Part 1 you ought to pass first time if you study properly.. The others you might need more than one try so allow for extra test fees and extra hours training.

A lot of people take 60 hours or more for Part 3 for example and take three tries.. And you can still fail easily.

Make sure you consider well and dedicate yourself if you decide to go for it.

#3 09-03-10 13:09:17

Thisisme373

Thank you, great reply man everything i needed to know big_smile btw your company's names aspyre? my dads is aspire lol and i know what your saying about dedication i am focused and eager as i want to make something of myself, again thank you.

#4 09-03-10 14:23:38

Roadmaster
Verified Member

And then when you've qualified you can join the thousands of other ADIs,  oh and the trainees, all  fighting for the diminishing work available.

Of course, if you are willing to work for nothing, either by paying a large franchise fee  or  charging the popular 5 lessons for £25 etc,  you'll fullfill your ambition to teach people to drive.

You do have another income source?

Sorry if  all that sounds cynical, but it's reality.
Before you go spending thousands,  do some research on how many ADIs are operating in your area, & what their rates are.    Then do more research about what it costs to be an ADI, and how many hours you would have to work to make a wage, assuming of course that you would be able to get the work.

#5 09-03-10 16:19:45

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi

It is always best to go into this proffesion with a Business Plan. If you do not have a Plan contact www.businesslink.co.uk

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 10-03-10 08:43:12

looprevil
Verified Member

And then when you've qualified you can join the thousands of other ADIs,  oh and the trainees, all  fighting for the diminishing work available.

Of course, if you are willing to work for nothing, either by paying a large franchise fee  or  charging the popular 5 lessons for £25 etc,  you'll fullfill your ambition to teach people to drive.

You do have another income source?

Sorry if  all that sounds cynical, but it's reality.
Before you go spending thousands,  do some research on how many ADIs are operating in your area, & what their rates are.    Then do more research about what it costs to be an ADI, and how many hours you would have to work to make a wage, assuming of course that you would be able to get the work.

To add some balance.

As with any business your financial success is defined by obtaining sufficient clients to buy your product. One main issue for those working in the learner market is that your success is defined by losing your client as they pass the test so as Pilgrim states having a business plan is a good idea.

Additionally how you market, sell and develop your service greatly increases your chances of being financially successful. Remember very few in the profession are employed and therefore most people are self employed even though they may pay for the support of a franchise. This therefore requires a different approach from someone that is employed and it is worth getting into that mind set even from the stage of looking for someone to train you.

On the subject of how difficult times are I have found that those that change with the market and find different ways of attracting clients maintain profitability. In any competitive market it is not enough to sit back and expect clients to fall out of the sky when you want them to although it is nice when that happens. This is in stark contrast to those that I meet who do very little about changing their situation instead telling me that "times are hard" "there's not enough work" etc etc.

In my experience be very careful when dealing with training providers who only want you to pay for everything first and ensure that you meet the person who will be providing you the training as you will be spending quite some time with a trainer and you want to know that you are going to get the service you are paying for. Some places have sales people who's only aim is to sign you up and commit you to a course, they are unlikely to be concerned about your success once they have their sale.

In summary go into the profession with eyes wide open and do plenty of research, the rewards are great both in terms of personal achievements and financial however I wouldn't expect this to be immediate.

regards

Paddy

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

#7 14-03-10 02:39:33

Adi1234

There is alot of financial success to be had in this profession. I went into it for that reason. but the other benefits outweigh that strongly e.g having a job that is fun and very satisfying when you see people learn an improve as a result of your instruction. You get to meet interesting people and see other walks of life. all the tests are hard. but when you pass each one you do get a massive sense of achievement. and that to me is worth more than a guaranteed 30k per year. I went into this job blindfolded and just looking at the salary. And now I have never earnt 30k per year have come very close but never earnt it but would not imagine doing anything else to make a living.

#8 14-05-10 22:03:18

standon11
Verified Member

don't worry about the colour blindness.i'm badly red/green colour blind it's not a prob unless you want to be a sparky aswell as a driving instructor.my honest advise would be save your money & look for another career.

most instructors seem to do it for the love of the job,not the money.

Board footer