You are not logged in.

#1 15-10-09 10:00:28

mcculde
Verified Member

How do you like to be briefed

I recently was contacted by a PDI who has relocated to the area that I coach in. We had our 1st session on Pedestrian Crossings & Use of Signals. On briefing me on phase 1 he proceeded to read from a long script without making much eye contact to me and giving me little to look at. I decided to stay in role until he had finished and including going through my cockpit checks I was told to switch engine on after 12minutes. I came out of role and discussed what had taken place which led to a uncomfortable conversation between us. He was shocked that I wasn't to pleased to listen to a script instead my PDIs show me a scene and go through the essentials of the scene in about 8 minutes and then cover anything else out on the drive. Thus keeping my attention span and watching my every move. On the next session a few days later my new PDI had to his credit got rid of most of the script but struggled to talk from the presenter. He now understandably feels he is between a rock and a hard place. Can I ask ADI trainers out there do you like to be briefed verbally or pictorially> I accept it can depend on the subject and on the word picture but in general phase 1 how is it done.
cheers

15-10-09 10:00:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How do you like to be briefed

#2 15-10-09 10:40:49

catweazle
Verified Member

currently doing my ordit and  i belive scripts are not the way to do it  but bullet points to ensure all is covered

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 15-10-09 11:18:05

Disky
Verified Member
Website

It should be a combination of both,, but if he does not look at you, then dont listen to him, if he's not interested in you, then,,, tuff LOL it should be a conversation of giving information

However,, going deeper,, it is not his fault. Was his previous trainer well though off ? it could be that his previous was a very auditory person which would explain the script,,, but i would deffo say no to script reading, it's just not personal enough for me.

#4 15-10-09 15:27:22

Spike
Verified Member

This all comes back to the the difference between a good or bad trainer. This guy is probably doing it this way because that's how he's been taught. His trainer probably taught him that way because simply reciting a script would be acceptable on a Part 3 test (although, he'd be lucky to get anything above a 4). OF course, those of us who live in the real world know that dealing with live pupils is nothing like Part 3 and reciting a script to a real pupil would send them to sleep very quickly.

I still regard myself as very lucky that I had the type of trainer who taught me how to do the job, not just to pass the test!

#5 15-10-09 16:16:55

Aspyre

i'm not so sure....... it can also come down to a bad or unsuited PDI.

the best presenters are those who can make it sound natural and adjust it on the fly depending on the audience....... it takes practice but not every one can get to grips with it and i always imagine such people will always feel under pressure and perhaps not enjoy the job as much as others do.. They may even not be good at it.

In the real world some one who is so rigid or stilted in their briefings might not be teaching (coaching or what ever we want to call it) as well as they should do.

We have to accept that not every one who goes for this is actually cut out to be an ADI and may be in some cases this is coming through if they struggle with getting information across??

Just my opinion.

#6 28-10-09 08:28:52

guess who
Verified Member

What is his personality like when he isnt reading from a script?

If he hasn't got the type of personality, where he can talk to people easily, then it could be part of the problem.

#7 09-04-10 21:39:01

TDW

Tell him that he needs to use a bit of Q&A to find out that you've not just heard what he was saying but also that you understood it. I do this with pupils especially younger ones with their only attention being on getting the car started and away..... Sometimes Q&A moves the topic on and they say something that makes you think.... "Oh, ok, lets' get on with it then".

Things fall to pieces so that other things can fall into place.

#8 30-04-10 16:44:02

mspl

There is an old Chinese proverb:

Tell me and I will forget.
Show me and I may remember.
Involve me and I will understand.

I think the above also sums up what the latest buzz 'coaching' is all about.
Bit of topic I know, but that's the way I give a briefing by involving the pupil,not just spouting of
a script learnt parrot fashion.

#9 30-04-10 16:50:35

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Interact with 'pupil' using key points only alongside a visual aid.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

Board footer