You are not logged in.

#1 29-04-10 16:35:51

mon
Verified Member
Website

Turning Right/Dual carriageway

Hi everyone,I know what I was told over and over again in prep for my Pt3,that we need the 2 lanes clear before we emerge,because traffic could suddenly change lanes.
I was driving out of T Junction today,turning right,lots of traffic from the left and nothing from the right.Now I have grown to drive just as if it was a pt3,but I noticed there was a build up of traffic behind me,me waiting for 2 lanes clear.
I then reverted back to my normal style and emerged out into the right lane after making sure the oncoming car was not signalling,then checked mirrors and got up to speed,MSM and moved back in to Left as soon as safe.
I then remembered my roofbox was on,and am now wondering and doubting myself, what would you guys teach real pupils?
Would you have them emerge into the right lane?I 'm pretty sure thats the proper thing to do,to make progress(as long as its safe)
Mon

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

29-04-10 16:35:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Turning Right/Dual carriageway

#2 29-04-10 17:08:40

Aspyre

There's no absolute answer because it depends on the situation. Round this way during rush hour it can be the only way of emerging unless you want to wait until 7pm lol

I'd have done what you did under the situation you described....... and I'd teach my pupils the same if there was no alternative. It's "real" driving as opposed to "theoretical" driving.

One of mine lives on an estate which is hidden just off a major roundabout (they closed off the other end her entry/exit road years ago to stop it being used as a rat run). From about 2 in the afternoon until 7pm the traffic is queuing solid for a mile or more back along the ring road. The roundabout is traffic light controlled on the ring road but not on one of the other entries just before this pupil's road, so you never get a clean run out - you really have to time it right. There are four lanes on the roundabout (gives you an idea of its size).She has to rate as the pupil with the most difficult start to a lesson I am ever likely to have.

The point I'm making is that if you just waited until nothing was coming you'd be there until Doomsday.

Real/safe driving versus the theoretical stuff.

#3 29-04-10 18:17:47

mon
Verified Member
Website

Couldn't be more clear than that,so I will teach not in black and white as my trainer says,be flexible.

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

Board footer