You are not logged in.

#1 28-04-10 09:17:44

julieb

1st Check test next week - any advice????

Hi every one,

I passed my part 3 in october 2009 and have been invited for my first check test which is next week.  I decided to be an independant driving instructor as could not afford to do a franchise but as a result I wish I had joined a company so that I had a bit more support and advice.  I started teaching in february 2010 and feel very new and un - experienced and often doubt my teaching methods, techniques etc. I feel a bit of a fraud taking the pupils money because I don't feel qualified or experienced enough.

I am naturally a bit anxious about the check test and to over come that I am doing my best to prepare my self by reading materials such as "how to get your grade 6", "driving instructers hand book" check test section and have read most of the posts on this website for advice.  I have a lovely pupil that has kindly agreed to accompany me and  I am trying to prepare a lesson plan/ objective and plan a route and just hope that all goes ok on the day.  I have my mum on stand by for the check test should my pupil not be able to make it for whatever reason but hope that it is not necessary to have to involve my mum! No offence mum!!!! lol!!!

I would really appreciate any advice on how else to prepare, attend and survive the check test.  I really do want to achieve a grade on my first check test, I would be over the moon with a grade 4 and then over the years build up to a grade 6.   

Please if you can think of anything - your support and advice will be very much appreciated,

Many Thanks,

Julie.

28-04-10 09:17:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st Check test next week - any advice????

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 28-04-10 09:20:19

Luchell
Verified Member

Ok, well erm I took my Mum on my first  lol lol

It's not exactly what i would recommend but at that time she was my best option and had plenty to work with  lol The S.e was lovely about it as it was fairly obvious why i was helping her out in a nice way bless her. She'd become a tad nervous on todays roads and she's now the main driver where my Dad no longer has a licence. Will post more later when i have time  smile

#3 28-04-10 11:30:31

julieb

Thanks for your reply Luchell, 

It's reasuring to know that if I need to involve my mum it will be acceptable and not as bad as I think.  If I was to take my mum I was going to teach her to parrallel park as this is one of her areas of weakness - ( and one of my favourite subjects that I feel confident teaching) however my concern is would I mention all the faults that occur in her general driving on the way to the location for the parrallel park?  It may sound a silly question but I am just a bit unsure because don't want to be marked down for ignoring them but on another note I don't want to be too fussy and picky with a full license holder. 

My pupil I intend to take is really great, she has had 16 hrs with another instructor and 10 hrs with me - she is very switched on, picks up things well and asks lots of questions -  I would say she just lacks confidence.  I give her lots of praise and encouragement and after much persuation she has now taken and passed her theory test.  What I am proposing to do with her on the check test is to practise 2 (or more if time permits) of her manoeuvres really focusing on observations, accuracy and control and building her confidence and just prompting her through them and eventually backing off as she gets more confident. 

I asked her if she would accompany me on my check test because I really enjoy teaching her and feel this will be a good experience and confidence boost for her in preparing her for her practical test as she gets to see the test centre and gets used to having someone else sitting in the back in case that happens on her test. I say this because she was putting off her theory test for ages and has expressed concerns about the practical test - I just want to help prepare her so she is as confident and relaxed as possible on the day of her practial test.

What do you think to my plans so far? Your honest opinions are most valued.

Many thanks,

Julie.

#4 28-04-10 12:15:31

Aspyre

Julie, if you have a pupil lined up that's great. Just do a normal lesson and don't "try" to get the 6 - just do your best and make sure you identify and remedy any faults, and are prepared to move away from your plan if anything crops up that isn't on it.

I took a pupil on my last one a few years ago - the night before we had a normal lesson and I did the brief on Pedestrian Crossings, plus we practiced them for about 20 minutes. Then on the CT and after the summary of the previous lesson, I made it clear we were going to carry on with our lesson from the day before. She immediately had trouble with clutch control at two junctions (she was nervous), so we spent 15 minutes on that, then went back to crossings. Just like you would on a lesson.

The only deliberate thing in all this was getting the briefing out of the way the night before and not doing it on the CT itself. No point waffling for 10 minutes for something that will only get you a single tick when the important ones mean getting out and about and actually doing something.

Of course - though I'm sure someone will be quick to point out to the contrary - this isn't the only way of doing it, nor is it absolutely right or absolutely wrong. It worked for me.

The key is to do a normal lesson with whoever you take and match your training to their needs.

#5 28-04-10 12:49:18

julieb

Thank you very, very much Aspyre - that is good advice!!!! Many many thanks for your reply.

#6 28-04-10 13:51:49

VandADI
Administrator

Top class post Aspyre  smile

#7 28-04-10 18:37:34

FRANKS
Verified Member

Total agree with Aspyre, just do what you do in a normal lesson, try to relax and show the SE(ADI) what you can do.

All the best

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#8 28-04-10 19:48:57

julieb

Thank you Franks and VandADI.

Board footer