You are not logged in.

#1 27-04-10 07:05:46

keethy

Judgement of Speed.....

Hi all,got a 2 hr lesson on Judgement of Speed and general Road Positioning 2moz, Igot all my recap questions ready but I'm not sure what to base my briefing on.I have started with making reasonable progress and being able to stop well within etc,road conditions,visibility,traffic conditions and speed limits. Do you think i have it covered or is there any thing else you could help me with. I have been looking at this forum for awhile now and you guys give priceless information! Any help would be appreciated.Thanks, Keith

27-04-10 07:05:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Judgement of Speed.....

#2 27-04-10 14:19:35

Lynne
Verified Member

Hmmm this may come under traffic conditions but I might be thinking about 2 second rule (or whatever as I teach 3 second 2 is so unsufficient even if it's in the HC) are they judging the speed and flows of traffic ahead so as not to close up their gaps too much with adequate space behind (mirrors) overtaking traffic/changing lanes oh I dont know just the first thing that comes into my head after what you have said. 

Blah I'm probably completely off track but judgement of speed of other traffic would mean adequate safety bubble all around at all times as if you don't judge speed you could be too close.  I guess it depends what you want out of the lesson.  Perhaps I should just go off and do my next lesson  tongue

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 27-04-10 15:15:49

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Sorry Lynne but you can't change the 2 second rule to 3 seconds without creating a corny rhyme to go with it big_smile

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#4 27-04-10 22:09:32

Lynne
Verified Member

Dont tempt me when I worked in the office I was the office poet at birthday times!!

#5 28-04-10 06:57:12

keethy

Thanks Lynne,I think I will have to keep it to the 2 second rule as that is what I've been taught so far and that is what I use in my driving,unless adverse conditions obviously.How about "if you can walk across you can drive across",I just can't think of any thing else.Duh

#6 28-04-10 08:20:05

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hi Keith. If you are talking about judging speed of traffic when emerging minor to major.

Its really all about observations, the busier the traffic, the busier their head will need to be to judge.

Measuring speed is calculated by multiplying distance by time. Your pupil needs to guage how far a gap in the traffic travels in the time it takes them to look both ways twice.  If they have a slow head, they will be hesitant.

Encourage your pupil to look for gaps between cars, rather than the cars themselves.  Then "choose the biggest gap and move into it" trying to increase their speed to the same speed as the gap quite quickly.

Hope you get my drift with that, not good at explaining sometimes.

#7 28-04-10 09:32:39

keethy

Many thanks JonnyG, That is a big help and your explanation is quite plain to me.My trainer is really good but he is now trying to leave alot of decisions to me now so thanks again,that helps loads.

#8 25-01-11 23:09:58

HewittsDriving
Website

You could also talk about how to control your vehicle correctly when judging speeds, ie- if what is happening up ahead requires you to use your brakes to slow down and by how much or can you just come off the gas to get the desired speed. There is judging the speed on approach to a blind corner, are they looking far enough up the road to be able to judge speeds and react in time. hope this helped,

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

#9 26-01-11 13:45:27

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

I,think speed is a great subject, the link with road and traffic conditions is key. Although not exhaustive the part 3/check test marking sheet advises discussing too fast, too slow and stopping distances. The student is likely to have some knowledgeregarding this, so start there.." what speed do you think would be appropriate on this road..." ....in  dry/wet/show/fog. Time of year and day may affect this too. What constitutes too fast or slow? Speed and stopping distances...

If they are studying for theory do they know the distances? Can the judge them? What are the consequences? How to control and considering gradients. Legal and illegal speeding, a quick discussion on progress and issues it can cause. Attitudes towards speeding is a great discussion point.

Most of this could be discussed on the move, or at the lights? I try  and get a route with as many speed limit changes and scenarios as possible. Demo is often good. Especially in a proper car with some power....a good contrast between quick when safe and steady when not and smooth controls

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#10 26-01-11 13:51:09

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Speed = DIST / TIME can be useful too in discussion point too especially with Flhs

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

Board footer