You are not logged in.

#1 21-04-10 14:33:23

casper

briefing aid (not)

If anyone out there wants a dvd with good briefing examples i would NOT reccomend the concour your pt3, pt 3 briefings made easy dvd. Although i would by no means pretend to be an expert i i think the content of the breifs are what you would expect to find in a pair of briefs. Having to pick out decent info is hard work on top of the work i have to do already, and like most people my budget doesn't allow me to just buy more stuff to learn from.
Hope this saves a few people some money and hard work. Could i suggest an area in the forum that can recommend training aids with a proven record.

pt1 pass 1st time 98% 60 23/9/09
pt2 passed 2nd time 6faults 9/3/10
pt3 passed 3rd time 4/4 jan 2011

21-04-10 14:33:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: briefing aid (not)

#2 21-04-10 14:50:18

VandADI
Administrator

I have head some negative feedback on the "conquer your part 3", but at the same time others have found it helpful.
You will always get differing opinions on whether a certain product is good or not, I guess it comes down to personal choice.
To be honest, if you have a decent trainer, you would not need to purchase some over-priced training product.

#3 21-04-10 22:42:28

Adi1234

I found the Blaine Walsh videos were very good and helpful But I would not reccomend them to pdi`s that want to learn how to teach rather than pass part three. He seems to have the most boring voice in the world and mumbles and speaks very very quickly at times.

#4 22-04-10 14:22:28

martin_t
Verified Member

I think Blaine is very entertaining, and informative, though I have the audacity (given my experience and competence versus his) to disagree with one or two of his points.

Of course all PDIs want to know how to pass part 3. I'd be gobsmacked to learn of any trainer teaching how to teach real learners. While it would be a really useful thing to know, there's absolutely no way it would be of any help in entering the 'profession', unless anyone thinks PSTs are like real life.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 24-04-10 07:41:47

casper

To be honest, if you have a decent trainer, you would not need to purchase some over-priced training product.

hi vand, my trainer is fine but she could not cover everything in one lesson, so in a bid to be able to get as much practice in as poss i chose to find another aid to training. She is certainly good enough to have given me the ability to know rubbish when i saw it.
Luckily unlike martin. w, i only got the one dvd and not the package.
As far as the learning to teach as apposed to learning how to do both, my trainer is making sure that i have all i need to do both she firmly believes that just teaching test passes is not good practice, for either pdi or new driver training, that is why i chose her as i really do want to be good at this. Pointless doing it otherwise, all this effort would be a waste, and you have to have some pride in what you do. Well i do anyway

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 25-04-10 09:26:58

casper

Why? sorry but this sentence sums up the problems faced by so many paying money and trying hard to become instructors.

Why is it that so many have to keep paying out for supplementary training, extra teaching aids etc?

Hi evan, i dont really think that sentence sums up any training problems, i think it would be safe to say that no trainer can put 40 hrs of training into one lesson.
Good training aids will always be a help to people who are dedicated and want to advance their training outside of lessons. Despite the poor quality of the product that i got (my opinion only) i have managed to cover more work than i was set and been able to get further ahead than my trainer expected. With a better product it would not have taken as long or been as much work, time i could have spent on other topics.

#7 25-04-10 14:39:54

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

I think Blaine is very entertaining, and informative, though I have the audacity (given my experience and competence versus his) to disagree with one or two of his points.

Of course all PDIs want to know how to pass part 3. * red,2,300

Believe it or not a good trainer should train a PDI to teach a novice, as this would encompass the requirements of the Part 3 test.
It is the lack of understanding of the principles of the part 3 test(which is not designed to resemble a real lesson) that causes the problem. 
If trainer had a better understanding of the requirement's and concepts themselves then this knowledge would be passed on to the PDI who would then be able to be trained for the job not the test.* red,2,300

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#8 26-04-10 15:47:50

martin_t
Verified Member

While I sort of understand what you're getting at, apart from anything else, you'd probably never see your client again if you treated them the way you need to treat the SE.

#9 26-04-10 16:55:41

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Martin.

Please tell me you do not train PDI's, and that you have no intention of EVER training them without having some extended CPD yourself.

Your posts are indicitive of many ADI's that simply do not understand part 3.

#10 27-04-10 08:03:12

martin_t
Verified Member

No I don't train PDIs, nor would I do so without being trained to do it.

Judging by the way I was trained by one trainer, and my experience of my first part 3, he didn't understand part 3 either (that is, if I actually don't understand it myself).

The attitude I needed to take when I eventually passed was to be *extremely* firm in my instruction, which left little room for being user friendly. Strangely, I got a 6 for attitude to pupil.

Please advise me of the fundamental point I'm missing (without the condescension).

#11 27-04-10 10:38:52

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Martin.

If you were required to be "extremely firm" with the "pupil" on your final part 3 is not because it is a requirement of part 3 as a whole, but that the examiner was in role as a pupil that required that level of control.

some clients require a firm approach to maintain adequate control over them and the lesson.
Other clients require a more subtle form of communication. This was the pupil type that I dealt with on my part 3.

Examiners tend to play specific pupil types that they themselves have experience of.

I have yet to meet an examiner playing a pupil type I have not come across.

One trainee I helped last year had the same SE as I did. The PDI was presented with a very argumentative "pupil" on phase 1 that just wanted to get on and do things his own way and was wrestling for control of the lesson right through. What you might call " a right Chav"

And yet on phase 2, he was presented with the meakest most affable but timid "pupil" one could imagine.

On the whole, examiners try to present, and behave in ways that they have witnessed real learners behaving, to try to make part 3 as "real" as possible, given the constraints of the test itself.

IMHO, the most noticable difference between how the examiner "learns" and real pupils is that the examiner is willing to learn very quickly, if what is being taught is done in a way he feels is appropriate for the pupil type he is playing.

Real learners will still learn if the instruction is correct, but will require more practice time than the examiner has to offer on a part 3.

#12 27-04-10 13:33:35

martin_t
Verified Member

Thanks Kevin, most informative.

My experience was definitely towards the chav end of the spectrum. I had the same SE on all 3 attempts, who was  particularly chavvy on the second attempt, which made me totally determined not to let that happen again.

My secondary trainer was as meek as a mouse which prepared me not at all. I made my primary trainer work really hard at being useless after my second go.

Board footer