You are not logged in.

#1 29-04-05 09:04:16

gmy

Part 1

I am currently studying towards Part 1 and I am reasonably comfortable with the theory part of this but I can't say I'm too comfortable with the Hazard Perception side of it.

Is it worth investing in any of the DVD's that are doing the rounds for this and, if it is, has anyone purchased one that they could recommend or discount as being of little, or no, help?

Finally, is the HPT that we sit the exact same as that taken by learner drivers? Thanks.

29-04-05 09:04:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 1

#2 29-04-05 09:39:32

Django

HPT is a doddle. No really it is. If you can spot a hazzard the there really isn't anything to worry about. I never used any training aids but know others swear by them. Personal choice really. The first time I saw the test was on my part I exam.
On the boards out there, there are loads of advice. pay particular attention to the two click method. It really works a treat.

Don't lose any sleep over it, it really isn't that bad.

#3 29-04-05 10:29:05

gmy

What is the "two click method"? :oops:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 29-04-05 11:05:07

Bush Baby

I thnk Django means the thread 'Theory Test Updated' under 'Theory tests, hazzard perception and practical test topics'

Good tip too

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 29-04-05 12:05:00

Al Capon

gmy wrote:

Is it worth investing in any of the DVD's that are doing the rounds for this and, if it is, has anyone purchased one that they could recommend or discount as being of little, or no, help?

Hi

I've found the 'Driving Test Success' two-disk set by 'Focus' very useful. Don't buy new .... they're always coming up on eBay (in fact there's one about to finish soon here.

There's 100 clips on two disks covering a wide variety of road types. The video quality is a bit fuzzy on some of them ..... but then its just like for real through a grubby windscreen, eh?  wink . The software detects if you're "cheating" by rythmic clicking, or by double-clicking too fast.

The initial difficulties I had were clicking for every possible hazard and being bombed out for regular clicking (imagine one of those tree-lined french roads with a potential pedestrian lurking behind each one ...... it'd certainly detect regular clicking along there!) OR clicking too early for a hazard and scoring zero becauase I hadn't clicked during the "window of opportunity". This is where the two click method comes in. You click immediately you see a hazard .... and then again a half second later. That way, even if you score zero on the first click 'cos it is too early, you get a five or a four for the second click. (Of course, you might score for the first click, anyway - if its in the scoring "zone"). You soon get the hang of timing the second click so that it doesn't register as a "double".

The DSA official disk is good too because it goes through the How What When and Why before actually letting you loose on the clips. Problem is, there's only ten clips (but I understand their quality and style is much closer to the real thing) and - at least on my computer - it doesn't bomb you out for "cheating" the clicks. (The other plus point - if you're a blurk, anyway - is that the 'presenter' is Suzie Perry .... slightly younger and slimmer than of late, too) ... I guess if you're a burd (or don't fancy Suzie Perry) its neither a plus or minus point  wink .

There's a DSA disk up on eBay at the moment, too. Just search "hazard perception".

Al

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 29-04-05 18:49:27

Bush Baby

Al Capon wrote:

(The other plus point - if you're a blurk, anyway - is that the 'presenter' is Suzie Perry .... slightly younger and slimmer than of late, too) ... I guess if you're a burd (or don't fancy Suzie Perry) its neither a plus or minus point  wink .

Al

Why? Just coz I'm a 'burd' doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy looking at Suzie Perry. What a sexist comment.   roll  wink

#7 29-04-05 19:05:02

Django

Bush Baby wrote:
Al Capon wrote:

(The other plus point - if you're a blurk, anyway - is that the 'presenter' is Suzie Perry .... slightly younger and slimmer than of late, too) ... I guess if you're a burd (or don't fancy Suzie Perry) its neither a plus or minus point  wink .

Al

Why? Just coz I'm a 'burd' doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy looking at Suzie Perry. What a sexist comment.   roll  wink

lol  wink  wink  wink  wink  wink

#8 29-04-05 19:17:49

sparkle

Django wrote:
Bush Baby wrote:
Al Capon wrote:

Al

lol  wink  wink  wink  wink  wink

and from me>  big_smile  lol  big_smile  lol  big_smile  lol  big_smile  lol  wink

Board footer