You are not logged in.

#1 29-02-04 16:51:25

jonks

Friends or family in the back

I often see learner cars with someone in the back. I realise now that sometime this might be a DSA Check test examinar but I think sometimes stuudents have a friend or family member in the back.

Do any of you let your students have someone in the back and if so, do you like to have someone in the back?

Have you ever had someone really annoying in the back?

I would imagine it would be very distracting. I know if I were the person in the back I couldn't help but join in trying to teach the student. I would probably override the instructors every command because I am one of those delusional people who thinks he is a perfect driver!

Well I am!  tongue

If I were an instructor, which perhaps I never will be because I keep getting caught doing Jenson Button impressions, I would completely ban people having friends or family in the back.

29-02-04 16:51:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Friends or family in the back

#2 29-02-04 17:59:39

Joe14

It could be anyone in the back.
-Instructor sitting in on test
-check test
-A PDI watching a lesson
-Someone curious about the job

Some insurance companies don't allow passengers while teaching. BSM also don't allow passengers unless its been arranged beforehand.

I've had people sit in for a few different reasons and I've no problem with this. Even drivers who already have a full licence say they've learnt something new. If they start giving their opinions I kindly tell them to button it  big_smile

regards
Joe

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 29-02-04 18:44:05

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

Another time you get people in the back is when you need an interpretor.

I was teaching A portugese pupil some years ago and our interpretor was a Spanish guy who could speak some english and some portugese.

It ended up like a 'Two Ronnies' sketch as I often had to give directions 2 junctions in advance.

In the end I learned some basic portugese and did lots of demos.

Regards,

#4 29-02-04 23:14:22

skier

It is a very good idea to have a 17 year old's mother or father in back seat at lesson 10 or 15 approx. They are likely paying the bill. Good for them to see what they are getting for their money, or not, if its poor quality instruction! Also they could realise why kid needs 40 hours not the dozen they themselves had 20 years ago. More easy for ADI to explain, why, what, when, they are doing certain skills and techniques, for better understanding for the parents.

#5 01-03-04 12:00:32

Kev
Verified Member
Website

Some instructors have people sitting in the back of the car .This is known as piggy backing. Its where the instructor pick up the first pupil and the lesson ends when the second  pupil is picked up .The second pupil drops off the first pupil and then they finish when the next one is picked up,ect .This is something that  I dont do as I dont think that is fair on the pupils, Paying for Your time and  having strangers in the car.       :x

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

#6 01-03-04 12:33:09

Badger

Quite right Kev

In fact 'piggybacking' is frowned upon as being unprofessional and unacceptable practice by the DSA who will take complaints of it into account if they are assessing an ADIs fitness for the job for any reason.

BSM and the AA forbid it.

Badger

#7 01-03-04 16:04:00

Liesa

Hi Badger

Both myself and Kev, used to work for another not quite so well known, national company, that also was totally against the practise of piggy backing.

But we were both aware of others, who worked for them who continued to do it!

#8 12-03-04 20:59:32

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

If 'piggybacking' is frowned upon as being unprofessional and unacceptable practice by the DSA why is it common practice to have two trainees in a vehicle during ADI training or LGV training?  :?:

Regards, John.  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#9 12-03-04 21:06:09

Liesa

Good point John

Maybe DSE can shed some light on this one?

#10 12-03-04 22:01:14

DAVE-ADI

One answer to your question, John,  is to make more money!

I occasionally have pupils' parents in the car, especially when they are practicing in their own car.
And on a couple of occasions I've had pupil's friends sit in, when they want to be dropped off somewhere at the end of the lesson. It does wonders for getting new business!

I don't, however, agree with piggybacking,  for which the only purpose I can see is to save instructor's travelling time.

Board footer