You are not logged in.

#1 27-04-05 09:43:09

Falstaff1485

What Car to Use for Part 2?

I am currently training with BSM and did my mock test last Thursday. I made a complete balls of it! The reason was that in the manoeuvres, I rushed things; this is not the first time I have done this. I could tell you it was nerves, the fact that I don't get along with the guy who was testing me, but they would be feeble excuses.

I have been practising like there is no tomorrow since the mock (my real test is on 10th May), but for various reasons there is no spare car at my local BSM office at present. I have been practising in my Nissan Primera, but the other day my wife wanted to use it, so I went out practising in her Micra. CUE SOUNDTRACK - BURST OF HALLELUJAH CHORUS!!! It was luvverly! I was doing my manoeuvres with fluidity, control, accuracy...even with style, elegance and grace. I am a little round shortarse, and I found that my vision out of the back of the car was so much more than on the Primera or on the BSM Astras.

Now I know that the regulations for DSA Part 2 state that I can use any car as long as I have an interior mirror for the examiner, but I am asking for advice here. One of my BSM coaches has said that the fact that I'm in a BSM car will help, because of the close links between DSA and BSM. Would the choice of my missis' Micra affect me in any way...(except possibly on motorway driving - the nought to seventy speed is about three months)? I don't want to be rude to my BSM trainers - rejecting one of their cars, but it is MY test and this is the car I want to take it in.

Any thoughts please?

Many thanks

Falstaff

27-04-05 09:43:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What Car to Use for Part 2?

#2 27-04-05 10:22:58

Philknight29

Falstaff,

It's your test do it in the car you feel at ease with.  Your Coach will understand my one did when I decided to use the centre managers Corsa rather than his Astra. You've paid the money for the course do what you feel is best.

The vision thing on the Astra is the same for everyone i'm 6ft 2 and found the vision near enough impossoble to gauge any sort of distance.

Don't get me started on the Mock Test, my one was awful the S**t really hit the fan something like 4 Serious and 20 odd Driving faults, but I passed the real test no problems

Chin up

Good Luck on May 10th let us know how it goes

Phil

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 27-04-05 10:23:47

Alibran

Falstaff1485 wrote:

One of my BSM coaches has said that the fact that I'm in a BSM car will help, because of the close links between DSA and BSM.

The implication here being that the DSA are totally corrupt and the SE will pass you even if your driving isn't up to scratch simply because you're a BSM trainee?  Hmm ......  Perhaps that's why BSM's training courses are so expensive - because of all the bribes they're having to pay to the SEs.

*Reality check*

This is your test, it's about your driving, and you should do it in whatever car you feel most comfortable with.  I did my test in my partner's car because I felt more comfortable with it than I did with my trainer's, the SE was quite happy, and I passed comfortably.  But then my driving was up to scratch.  It doesn't matter what car you turn up in (as long as it meets the requirements).  It's your driving that's being tested, and as long as that's up to standard, you'll pass.

#4 27-04-05 11:05:32

bigred
Verified Member
Website

To say that BSM and the DSA have close links is odd to say the least.

To relate that to taking a test I would say's it's a load of @?#*!

Do it in the car you feel comfortable in. As for the car's acceleration I think the examiner will know what it is capable of and will take that into account.

Regards,

#5 27-04-05 19:21:24

luchell

im with bsm. i had my mock 4.4.05 got part 2 next week. last week i was still undecided on my last road ive been moaning about the vision issue and an indicator issue on astras since the first on road lol so i know where youre coming from.

trainer gave me an ultimatum, yours or mine? decide in 2 days. it was pure torture i justified all pros and cons and what it came down to was the vision was not a good enough excuse for me to say no to the astra altogether. it was going to set me up for a fail if i carried on like that. yes the visions crap but you get used to making slightly longer looks to check on manouvres etc so you know its safe.

i took the spare car out for an entire day and used it as my own.didnt want to drop it off as i felt i had adjusted and was very happy so astra it is. i think its a much nicer drive than my peugeot 106 diesel, but the con was the vision. (besides my handbrake lights got a fault and im not having that ruin my test lol ive had it fixed twice and dont want to risk it.)

i would say the choice is easier for you in that there is no spare car for you to become 100 percent comfortable with and for that reason i reckon you'll be better off with yours as youre more comfortable with it. you havent got the option of feeling more at one with the astra as it were. but thats only my opinion only because ive just had the same mind torture.

my trainer wasnt bothered which option i took as he looked in my car and said yep nowt wrong with that. he told me im not the first to want to use mine and certainly wont be the last. as long as the car is clean and tidy with all requirements met theres no problem. ive also been told i could have used the corsa if i wanted to. bsm will be fine about which decision you choose. youve got to do this for you. sorry to go on i just know how hard it can be to make your mind up. good luck with your choice.  lol

#6 27-04-05 19:25:34

luchell

DOH!! if i hadnt have had tons of conversations in between writing that id have remembered that you definately want yours. that would have saved time. in answer to that lol take yours!!!!!! no second thoughts youve already said how good everything feels in it.
no one will think you are rude they just want you to pass.

#7 28-04-05 13:33:28

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

The DSA are testing your driving in the car you go for a test in. They tell us all tests are fair and impartial so you should get the same test as you would in any car.

There are many rumours about relationships between the DSA and BSM and that the DSA are somehow basing their judgement on other than the candidates skills. I trust they are just rumours.

Good Luck
Colin

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#8 28-04-05 16:46:52

Falstaff1485

Just got back from a 2 hour session with a senior coach/trainer from my local BSM training Centre. I explained to him how I felt about using the Micra. To my joy, he was happy to come out with me in the Micra.

I made some mistakes, sure. One of them was that the car crept up to 32/33 mph. He said that it was because I wasn't used to the car (I thought it was because I was wearing !!!!!!!! great clodhopping Doc Martens and the evil little gnome called Sigurd who lives in the Micra's engine).

I also turned a tad late in the left and right reverses. He said that I needed to get my reference points established, again because I wasn't used to the car. It took him about four seconds to help me get those established and those manoeuvres were tickety-boo!!

The poor little Micra forgot to ask for ABS from big daddy Nissan when she was built. Emergency Stop - Falstaff stamps his big hairy Doc Marten enclosed foot on the anchors - screech - rubber on road. OOPS - never done one without ABS before. Coach breaks everything down - that's all right then.

Net result is that Falstaff feels a lot better & more confident. Coach says using the Micra is a brilliant idea and is not in the least bit offended!

So thanks for all the help and support. All I have to do now is pass the !!!!!!!! test! I will let you know.

Regards

Sir John

Board footer