You are not logged in.

#1 03-04-10 10:21:06

nickcoleman182

Starting part 2 next week - any tips before i start?

Hi everyone

As the title says, is there anything you recommend i should do/read up on before i start my part 2 at the end of next week?

Thanks in advance

Nick

03-04-10 10:21:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Starting part 2 next week - any tips before i start?

#2 03-04-10 19:55:15

kevindavanna@tiscali.co.u
Website

Not really, just go in with an open mind and trust your trainer! You might think you're a good driver just now, but there's probably a few failings for sitting your test again! Mine was not using interior mirror enough (too many years driving lorries!!)
Good luck with pt's 2+3
Kev

#3 03-04-10 20:18:38

nickcoleman182

Thanks kev. Want to get it passed asap and wanted to get started before next week!

#4 03-04-10 20:48:02

colin166
Verified Member

Most important read in my opinion is DSA's "Driving, The Essentiall Skills".
Thats the book that contains everything that they will want you to teach and the skills you will require to pass part 2.

#5 03-04-10 21:38:45

bogof

I've all but completed Part 2 training. Just got mock test and test itself to do (when I can book it online!)

I would agree about reading Driving: Essential Skills. I also read Roadcraft and I found that useful in the way it sets standards for attitude.

The other thing I have found useful is to practice independently. I have driven hundreds of miles "the DSA way" since starting the training, and spent many of those miles talking to myself (commentary driving) but also identifying, analysing and remedying my own driving faults as they occur.

That should help me with Part 2, but will also be a great help for Part 3 as I am already using techniques on myself that I will later be expected to use with "pupils" (real or roleplay).

==> If everything had a point, Chavs wouldn't exist <==
--> Too Much Effort, Too Little Reward <--

#6 03-04-10 22:05:34

Adi1234

Try and drive In the way you drove on your driving test. and try and use your mirrors before doing anything. e.g signalling changing speed. and any significant change of direction. also work on being exactly on the speed limits when You should be e.g entering a 30 limit make sure car is on 30mph before you pass the 30 sign. you will enjoy part 2 training and after each session make sure You practice what trainer tells you too. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

#7 03-04-10 22:17:20

colin166
Verified Member

The SE will be looking for a much higher standard of driving than when you took your L test and to make good progress when possible while keeping within the speed limits and good use of the mspsl routine.

#8 03-04-10 22:21:43

Adi1234

Yes But A good start when preparing for part 2 training would be to take things back to basics and drive like you were on original L test. Then Trainer can adapt the way you drive to part 2 standard.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#9 04-04-10 06:19:29

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Yes But A good start when preparing for part 2 training would be to take things back to basics and drive like you were on original L test. Then Trainer can adapt the way you drive to part 2 standard.

Would have to disagree with you there. That sort of approach is the reason why the majority of part 2 candidates drive no better than a learner. sad
Your trainer should use the experience that you already have, iron out any undesirable traits to enable you to drive in a confident, skilled and unobtrusive manner.
As previously stated commentary should be used during training (not for test) and self identification, analysis and remedy of your driving faults at this stage, will greatly assist you when undertaking your Part 3 training. 
Good luck smile

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

Board footer