You are not logged in.

#1 26-03-10 11:50:21

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

1st check test

Morning/Afternoon/Evening!!

I have been qualified for almost a year now, and have my first check test looming.

The pupil I have chosen has his test in about 3 weeks time, so we are just ironing out any rough spots, but to be honest he is very much test standard.

My problem is, obviously, finding fault with his driving.

Unfortunately I'm not able to get another pupil who needs constant instruction, which would be more beneficial for a check test.

Can anyone come up with suggestions, with my approach to the lesson.

Cheers

Matt

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08
Part 3. Failed 1st attempt 17/3/09
Part 3. 2nd attempt Passed 01/05/09
1st Check Test Grade 6 31/3/10

26-03-10 11:50:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st check test

#2 26-03-10 16:22:38

Aspyre

Roleplay!

If you don't have to fix anything you aren't showing how good you are at fixing things....... and that's basically the core competencies.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 26-03-10 17:10:18

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

I've got one in a couple of weeks and am having the exact same problem.

My plan is to take the pupil through a pre-planned route (lasting about 7-8 minutes) with as little interference as possible. Back at the start point, I'll de-brief the drive using as much Q&A as possible, trying to get her to find her own faults and solutions. Run her through it again, this time prompting and explaining what happened the time before and how to avoid it. Debrief again, then offer a commentary demo. After the demo, ask her to do the drive again and only prompt where absolutely necessary. Back to the start point (the TC) for a final debrief for her and then it's End-Ex. If all goes to plan, she'll take in what I show/tell her and the final drive will be an improvement over the first. If it is, then surely I've done my job!

There must be something your pupil could receive a final polish on. For mine, she can be a little timid at times and, while she's a very good driver (who I'd happily trust to drive safely for a couple of hours while I had a nap!), she does lack in confidence which comes out as a lack of willingness to make progress at times.

When I did my part 3 training, I was told that it's just as important to avoid over-prompting an experienced learner as it is to make sure you don't under-instruct a novice. With a pupil who's test ready, unless you believe that they will walk a clean sheet, there will be small things you can pick up on. Generally, I've found they are normally to be found in P&H, either just not getting going when it's safe to, or miss reading semi-open junctions (or in the case of my pupil, slowing down and approaching blatantly close junctions as if they are open).

Good luck with it.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

#4 27-03-10 12:23:14

Luchell
Verified Member

Robin, out of  interest when you say 'preplanned route' do you mean the pupil will have gone round it prior to the checktest to make sure they are familiar to limit possible mistakes or just that you've planned a route you are going to be using?

Are you intending to leave any faults spotted until the pupil has completed the route then get them to show the S.e just how good they are at the core comps more like a mock test type scenario? Sorry just wanted to understand what you're trying to say.

#5 27-03-10 12:52:17

KevB
Verified Member
Website

hi Robin.

Book yourself in with some checktest training.

Seriously.

You have some misunderstanding on what is required on lessons and checktests if that's your planned session.

#6 27-03-10 16:29:33

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

Hi guys.

No, I don't intend to run the pupil through the route before hand, or in any way plan faults.

As far as the actual first run round is concerned, yes I am planning to see what happens rather than to prompt to avoid minor faults. Obviously, I'm using a pupil who is very close to test standard, so the level of instruction would be low anyway. If something looks like it is going to go wrong to a degree where I believe the pup won't deal with it safely (or conveniently for other road users), I'll obviously drop into prompting mode. I really don't anticipate the need to stay on top of this pupil, what I believe will be needed is to get her to show some get-up-and-go, not to worry about what she is going to do next.

Unless they have massively changed how they mark check tests, I'm not anticipating an issue from this as I did the same thing 2 or 3 check tests back and I got a 5 on that one.

My understanding of a lesson (and by extension, a C/T) is that the pupil and I start it with an understood objective and a plan to achieve that objective. If the lesson goes according to my plan, I genuinely believe that she will be driving more positively by the end. And, if something else comes up, I'm ready to change the plan and deal with any new issues that present themselves. Equally, if she sails round it with no problems, I'll adapt and push her into a different area of town where she will need to make faster decisions and I'll need to go back to prompting if required.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

#7 31-03-10 14:30:04

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Hello again,

Have just returned from my 1st check test, thanks for your advice, decided to stick with my almost test standard pupil, rather than do role play. My reason for this is, as I stated in the OP, he was the only one available at this time.

So a quick chat with the SE re pupils driving experience...told him he was pretty good at most manoeuvres, general driving very good, but on some occasions, lack of mirror use.

Recapped previous lesson which was reverse parallel park, of which he has done a few, recapped on his clutch control, and he has now nailed it.

Todays lesson was going over the bay park. Last time we did it he was a bit quick up with the clutch, and more obs were needed.

Coming out of the test centre, clear road, we waited for too long until someone did approach, would have had time to go with more obs, so chatted about gaps in traffic, more obs on the move, got his agreement on that, next junction, he made the appropriate obs and off we went. Sorted!!

Road position, which is normally good was a little close to the Kerb today so again, so asked him what reference points he was using, he mentioned window washer running on kerb, N/S mirror check, and his body in relation to the road, about 3/4 of the way across. Got that sorted.

Go to a quite car park, next to a school, and run through lesson plan on the bay park, mentioning about the clutch control, and obs. Asked him about his point of turn and he said about the relevant reference point being the bay line coming in to the back window. Off he went, with the perfect bay park, although a little quick of the clutch. Did it again, good clutch control, great obs all round, and again, the perfect park. Said to pupil about previous lesson and the rev park, that his clutch control was much better having done that. So didn't spend too much time on this as he managed to cope with no problems, so said we would do some general driving.

Out of the car park on to the main road, a little too wide overtaking parked cars, also mirrors were not checked pulled him over, again spoke mirrors and about ref point for parked cars, he could not remember where it was, so got the car in to position along side a parked vehicle, found his ref, which was the n/s window washer on the bottom of the tyres. Got that sorted, with no problems after that.

OMG where did that hour go!!!

Back to the test centre, debreifed on lesson, and what we were to do on the next lesson, pupil went of for a fag, SE jumped in to the front, asked me how I thought I did. Said to be honest I think it went quite well. He debreifed my lesson, gave me some great feedback re the bay park, adequate clearance, and use of mirrors.

Got a Grade 6 big_smile

If anyone has a check test coming up, be yourself, don't change the way you instruct, mention every fault and SORT IT. I didn't go for any further training, just did my normal lesson, and a no point during the lesson was I out of my comfort zone!!

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 31-03-10 18:56:53

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

If anyone has a check test coming up, be yourself, don't change the way you instruct, mention every fault and SORT IT.

As the Meerkat says, simples!

Congrats, feels good doesn't it - I'm still smiling after mine....

#9 31-03-10 20:09:05

Aspyre

Congratulations....... you must have had some things to resolve and demonstarted your skill at fixing them.. You don't get a 6 unless you show you're worth it, so Well done.

#10 31-03-10 20:14:13

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Superb! Very useful write up too.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#11 31-03-10 20:16:42

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

Nice result. Well done.

#12 28-04-10 16:08:38

eddlad
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for a great write-up Matt, my first check test must be looming on the horizon soon.

http://chriseddydrivertuition.yolasite.com/

DSA ADI operating in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear and surrounding areas.

#13 28-04-10 16:14:28

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Thanks eddlad, as I said, be yourself, stay in your comfort zone, and mention EVERYTHING, get the pupils agreement, and above all Sort it.

Good luck on yours mate

Matt

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08

#14 29-04-10 20:42:09

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Brilliant write up and well done on that getting that 6!
:angel:
jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#15 30-04-10 21:22:28

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Thanks jlo, not quite sunk in yet 4 weeks on.

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08

#16 01-05-10 14:54:59

ger
Verified Member
Website

good write up  how long do you wait for a check test after passing part 3

ger

#17 02-05-10 00:16:56

Adi1234

Varies alot depending on where You live. and the grade You received on part 3. I would suggest a minimum of 6 months and maybe a maximum of 2 years. I am not 100% sure how they decide when To offer check tests.

Board footer