You are not logged in.

#1 24-03-10 16:57:57

mon
Verified Member
Website

smoking in cars

Now I am not anti smoking as I occasionally take a puff(shame) but just reading news about a push to ban smoking in cars cause of the passive smoking side of things.
I always wondered when they banned mobile use in cars while driving,they were happy for people to drive with a burning object right under their eyes.How many times have you seen people try to light a fag while negotiating a junction.

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

24-03-10 16:57:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: smoking in cars

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 24-03-10 17:05:48

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Now I am not anti smoking

I am.

The govt made a big mistake when it said smokers could only smoke outside pubs etc.  What they should have done was introduce airtight booths where smokers would have to go, so they could choke themselves to death while enjoying themselves.

The entrances to pubs etc are a disgrace now, with fag ends littering the pavement.

Banning smoking in cars would be virtually unenforcable though.  They introduced stiffer penalties for using mobiles while driving, and more drivers do it now than before it became illegal.

#3 24-03-10 17:32:13

Luchell
Verified Member

Well I'm a smoker although rarely outside my home. Many years ago my best friend and i went for a drive (me driving)

I was merily smoking my cigarette, once finished puffing I put the window down and threw it out. Unknowingly I had chucked it out and it came straight back in through my passenger window straight down my back stopping near my backside  yikes lol Still clueless as to why it felt a tad hot and was getting hotter and hotter til i clicked, whilst negotiating a sharp bend my friend had to lean and find the blasted thing which eventually she did. God help me I never did that again!! What a muppet   roll lol
I was blooming lucky nothing else happened during the entire ordeal.

I havent smoked whilst driving for a long long time!!

#4 24-03-10 18:46:07

ExAdiNigel

I still see quite a few taxi drivers & instructors smoking in their cars.  Must be awful for their clients.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 24-03-10 20:45:39

Gizmotime
Administrator

Now I am not anti smoking

I am.

What they should have done was introduce airtight booths where smokers would have to go, so they could choke themselves to death while enjoying themselves.

I am a smoker and I don't think it's very nice what you have said above, that being out the way I NEVER smoke in the car or in the house, I stand at my back door.

Giz

#6 24-03-10 20:59:41

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Giz, it's an opinion.  I didn't expect anyone who smoked to agree with it. 

#7 24-03-10 21:21:52

john55
Verified Member

i am of the same opinion as you Roadmaster.

isn't the proposed ban on smoking in cars only if there are children in the car??

had a similar experience to Luchell many years ago when smoking was still allowed on buses. gentleman down the front smoking reached up and threw his still lit ciggy out the window. it came straight back in the window at my seat and landed on my son who was a baby at the time and asleep on my lap. luckily my reactions were quick. right old barny that caused.

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#8 24-03-10 21:35:50

Roadmaster
Verified Member

isn't the proposed ban on smoking in cars only if there are children in the car??

According to all the reports doctors are calling for a smoking ban in ALL vehicles

#9 24-03-10 22:54:28

DH

Smoking often brings denial with it. Denial that the smokers themselves stink, denial that other people  can't stand the smoke and denial from an instructors point of view that it costs them work. I sat in another instructors car recently for a chat on a wet day and even though he wasn't smoking at the time I won't be doing it again.

That stale smell that you can't shake off or clean away.

Pupils often won't object to what an instructor does to their face out of timidity/misplaced loyalty/politeness etc, but they do often leave instructors for that sort of reason. I've even seen ads stating 'Non-smoking instructor' as a selling point.

#10 24-03-10 22:57:23

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I have couple of nice Indian nurses from another instructor who is a pleasant-mannered guy (a real gentleman) but he offended them by smoking in the car - they couldn't handle the smell and said he even smoked while instructing(!!).

Australia is going the same way as the UK with laws about smoking in certain places but I can't see that banning smoking in cars will be enforceable, I'm sure that many will see it as an invasion of privacy like banning smoking in their home.

One of the many things I regretted doing as a young man was taking up smoking as a trainee telecom technician - I was a 17-year-old country boy boarding in a city and I thought smoking made me look like like a man. 12 years later after reaching 100 a day and almost broke, short of breath and reeking, I took acupuncture treatment and gave it up cold turkey.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#11 25-03-10 00:34:29

Adi1234

I think One of the best ways to give Up smoking is to become an adi. For one reason You can`t smoke in the car. for another reason. You Will not have the money to buy the ciggerates. and finally if you do have the money You will have no time to smoke as you will be so busy. Doing lessons.

#12 25-03-10 11:55:16

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Here we go again, let's all get on the anti smoking bandwagon!

As an ex smoker, it makes me sick listening to all the agro given out to smokers. Nothing much gets said about all the idiots who drink to excess and end up in hospital taking up time and space from people who need it the most, I think we should drown all the alco's in booze to get rid of them. Then there's the fatties who complain that they have been on all the diets known to man as they come walking out of Macdonalds with enough food to feed half of Africa with their 25 stone siblings entow. These people should be starved for 6 months and if they are still alive after that time, shoot them in the head.

Oh sorry, looks like ive gone a little over the top here with my opinion!

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#13 25-03-10 12:39:56

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Why is it smokers and ex smokers always have to deflect arguments to drinkers etc?

#14 25-03-10 13:20:10

Gizmotime
Administrator

Why is it smokers and ex smokers always have to deflect arguments to drinkers etc?

maybe because you came out with the remark you did, If people keep havin a go at smokers, then others will have a go at drinkers, You can't expect others to sit back and take stick off you and other's, and not expect to give it back big_smile

The drinkers are the one's that cause the most deaths on the roads, NOT the smokers.

Go on have another go at me now for speaking my mind big_smile

Giz

#15 25-03-10 13:31:44

Roadmaster
Verified Member

The drinkers are the one's that cause the most deaths on the roads, NOT the smokers

Proves my point above, doesn't it.  Smokers always have to deflect the argument onto others.

Drinkers don't give people who don't smoke lung cancer.   You can argue all day long.  It still doesn't make it good.

Go on have another go at me now for speaking my mind

I wasn't having a go at you originally, although you seem to have taken it that way, and I'm not having a go at you now either Giz.  We are all entitled to have an opinion.

#16 25-03-10 14:21:35

Gizmotime
Administrator

You can argue all day long.  It still doesn't make it good.

I wasn't having a go at you originally, although you seem to have taken it that way, and I'm not having a go at you now either Giz.  We are all entitled to have an opinion.

Who's arguing I'm not, you want your say, I will have mine big_smile

I havn't taken it anyway, didn't you notice the laugh at the end  big_smile I did that because I new you would come back with some smart remark big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Giz tongue

#17 25-03-10 14:36:38

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

You would'nt be a tad overweight and an excessive drinker would you Roadmaster? big_smile

This is a joke by the way! :evil:

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#18 25-03-10 16:24:40

Roadmaster
Verified Member

You would'nt be a tad overweight and an excessive drinker would you Roadmaster?

Overweight?  No, but I think my bed's glad when I get up in the morning.

Board footer